HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Speculation: Petry's next contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1528785)

glassbangers 11-01-2013 02:49 AM

Petry's next contract

Petry's current contract ($1.75M) is absolute steal, he is easily our best defender and he is still fairly young. He hits, blocks shots, is good offensively (needs to shoot more though) and good defensively. IMO his upside is #2 defender and if we'd be able to acquire a bonafide #1 we would have a rock solid 1st pairing. When we're talking about extensions he should be MacT's priority number one. Personally I'd be extremely happy if MacT signed him for a bit longer contract, say 4-5 years but the big question is what would the cap hit be?

My guess is 5 years, 18 millions (4.5M AAV). :dunno:

Gritzky98 11-01-2013 02:54 AM

Under 5m at 5+ years would be a steal

thadd 11-01-2013 03:07 AM

He's not having his best season if you ask me. 4M would the the biggest cap hit I would want to see him have. Yes, he's on pace for his best season offensively, but there are still a fair number of holes in his game.

The Nuge 11-01-2013 03:11 AM

He was shocked he got offered that much when he signed it. I'd offer him 4 million for 5 or 6 years, and go from there

sid49 11-01-2013 04:44 AM

Jeff Petry, the most overrated number 4 defenceman in the league. Ill never understand HF Oilers obsession with him. Good positioned defenceman but hes weak, just a decent skater, Not an overly exciting first pass, and not a vicious player in any way shape or form. Hes the early Tom Gilbert with way less offence.

Burger Baron 11-01-2013 04:58 AM

Not a single Oilers defense-man deserves over 4 mil/per year... If they did, we wouldn't be so bad.

Petry should get 3.75 x 4 years

AUAIOMRN 11-01-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid49 (Post 73615379)
Jeff Petry, the most overrated number 4 defenceman in the league. Ill never understand HF Oilers obsession with him. Good positioned defenceman but hes weak, just a decent skater, Not an overly exciting first pass, and not a vicious player in any way shape or form. Hes the early Tom Gilbert with way less offence.

Good god is this the truth. Seriously WTF do you guys see in him?

Mediocre defender with average-at-best offensive ability. We are where we are because we have to give guys like him get big ice time.

Matt19Oilers 11-01-2013 09:43 AM

4-4.5M for 5 years

Yeah15 11-01-2013 09:49 AM

It's actually insane how often he fumbles the puck, and he's only decent defensively. No chance that he's anything more than an average #4 on a good team. Anything more than 4 million and I'd be pulling my hair out

djdub 11-01-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeah15 (Post 73620027)
It's actually insane how often he fumbles the puck, and he's only decent defensively. No chance that he's anything more than an average #4 on a good team. Anything more than 4 million and I'd be pulling my hair out

I was going to post that.

It seems like only this year though, he's really started handling the puck like a grenade.

Petry has regressed quite a bit this year. Last year he looked like he was molding into a player that could be a good #2 on any team. If you would have asked this at the end of last year, the most common answer would have been "Lucky to get him for around 4.5". But this year, he's playing like he's worth maybe 3 mill a year. He needs to just settle down and stop trying to be so cute with the puck and maybe start dishing out those open ice stand up's at the blue line he was doing so well last year.

waffen 11-01-2013 10:13 AM

4mil

GMofOilers 11-01-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid49 (Post 73615379)

Yep isnt this the truth. If we give him 5 million or even 4 million and keep playing him as a number 2 or 3 defenseman we are going to stay at the bottom of the league for a long time.

I'm so not a Petry fan at all. Really doesnt do anything well at all.

shogun99 11-01-2013 11:09 AM

3.5 x 4 years. He'd be a number 4 defenceman on good teams.

missinthejets 11-01-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeah15 (Post 73620027)
No chance that he's anything more than an average #4 on a good team.

That's absolutely ridiculous. If Smid and Petry were the teams 2nd pairing they'd be a great 2nd pairing. It's the fact that they have to be the first pairing and Petry the top defenceman that is the problem. He's not consistent enough to be that guy who plays 25 minutes and never makes a mistake cause a few mistakes pop up time to time in his game but he is still a really valuable defensemen to have. I think with a true #1 guy as his partner he could easily fit in on a top pairing and is a great option on a 2nd pairing.

Beerfish 11-01-2013 11:18 AM

Just a massively overrated player on these forums. I was a big Petry supporter as he was developing but I wouldn't offer him more than 3.5 at the most. He can walk if he wants more than that.

He's Gilbert version 2.0, very good at a few things, totally horrendous without the puck in his own end.

dyzfunctioned 11-01-2013 11:21 AM

I would be happy if he signed the same contract as Smid - $3.5x4 years.

nitz 11-01-2013 11:44 AM

He gets Smid numbers (3.5 per) at most. I'm not even a big fan of his so I wouldn't be too fussed if we didn't re-sign him at all.

Draw me an Elephant 11-01-2013 12:10 PM

I am a little worried that he is going to get a big contract simply by virtue of playing big minutes because there is no one else on this team to do it. On a good team he'd be a number #4 and get about 3M - 3.5M per.

Sloth Slothersons* 11-01-2013 12:55 PM

I'm with the group that thinks he's overrated. There's been some obsession over Petry for years. He's an average defender. I don't see him every being more than a 2nd pairing Dman on a good team. I'd hope he signs a similar contract to Smid, maybe a bit more.

If we could package him for a legit top pairing dman that would be the best move.

Edit: From the posts above, it seems more and more people are catching on.