HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Raphael Diaz (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1528849)

ProspectsFanatic 11-01-2013 07:50 AM

Raphael Diaz

Now that Emelin as been sign for 4 years; do you think that Marc Bergevin should do the same with Raphael Diaz?

What type of contract do you think he deserves?

PricePkPatch* 11-01-2013 07:56 AM

Markov or not Markov, that is the question

PunkinDrublic* 11-01-2013 08:02 AM

Trade him now please !!!

vokiel 11-01-2013 08:03 AM

I voted for the opposite of what they should really do. Since they aren't making any decent hockey decisions in this management group, why even bother. :laugh:

Agnostic 11-01-2013 08:06 AM

I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .

Tuggy 11-01-2013 08:06 AM

I don't really see how he fits in the plans going forward.

Stjonnypopo 11-01-2013 08:08 AM

I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.

JLP 11-01-2013 08:15 AM

Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.

hockeyfan2k11 11-01-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 73617481)
I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.

Look at Emelin's contract. No way Diaz is getting that.

BrimStone64 11-01-2013 08:31 AM

I'd bet they re-sign Diaz. Bergs is not a big mover and shaker and Diaz been fairly steady. Bouillon be gone next season, likely replaced by a Pateryn. Markov 50/50, according to if accepts a short term contract. I'd have an idea he's replaced by Nygren. Maybe Beaulieu

ProspectsFanatic 11-01-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 73617435)
I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 73617599)
Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.

I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are going to be buyers, not sellers...

Harry Wong 11-01-2013 08:40 AM

Sign him and trade him.

Agnostic 11-01-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert (Post 73618007)
I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are not going to be buyers, not sellers...

There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.

Harry Wong 11-01-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 73618171)
There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.

Hard to imagine we are really going to the finals with this team. Maybe Diaz could be a piece of a bigger deal for a top four D man with a bit of grit.

PunkinDrublic* 11-01-2013 08:53 AM

Diaz is NOT built for the playoffs. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Marky and Gionta ok.

Spearmint Rhino 11-01-2013 09:07 AM

Diaz is MTs new Boullion, personally I'd move him in a package but I got a feeling he'll get a 3 year deal around $3MM/per

Beaulieu & Tinordi will end up as the 6-7 next season replacing Murray & Cube
PK/Markov/Emelin/Diaz/Gorges is our top 5 with Drewiskie, Pateryn & Nygren the injury fillers

Not a bad D and doesn't leave us too thin as injuries pile up

MXD 11-01-2013 09:20 AM

He's useful, but keeping him this season would be extremely risky with the deal that has been given to Emelin. This supposes the team wants to keep Markov.

hockeyfan2k11 11-01-2013 09:23 AM

If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.

Habiton 11-01-2013 09:43 AM

Trade. No sense losing assets for nothing and no sense keep a redundant one.

MasterDecoy 11-01-2013 10:09 AM

I like Diaz but depending how the season unfolds, he's good, we keep him for the PO, he's average, trade at deadline.

Chris Cutter 11-01-2013 10:31 AM

Sign him for 2 years, trade him when Nygren is knocking at the door.

JLP 11-01-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 (Post 73619209)
If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.

I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting $4M. Even I want four million dollars!

But who will pay? I think Emelin would have got that much as a UFA next summer, Diaz not so much. Diaz's best chance for a big payday comes from the scattergood M. Bergervin.

Joe Cole 11-01-2013 10:40 AM

I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.

Ohashi_Jouzu* 11-01-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 73621657)
I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.

Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy... :rolleyes:

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many. :thumbu:

sonnytheman 11-01-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 73622959)
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy... :rolleyes:

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many. :thumbu:

Agreed, I don't understand the hate for him on this board. I'd definitely re-sign him, though not sure if I'd go longer than 3 years.