HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Is Jared Cowen Brian Lee lite? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1529845)

Vesa Awesaka 11-02-2013 02:44 PM

Is Jared Cowen Brian Lee lite?

Yes I just went there.

Both drafted 9th overall. Both can't handle the puck in their own zone.

Meh, he'll probably improve but right now he's looking god awful. Lets hope its just due to his lack of experience and lack of camp.

Laoghaire 11-02-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka (Post 73694539)
Yes I just went there.

Cowen is terrible and we are a worse team for having him.

BK201 11-02-2013 02:50 PM

Just no.

No.

To be fair he has a better shot, plays more physical and a better pass.

He just had a season off and was inconsistent beforehand. He's not a write off.

Qward 11-02-2013 02:55 PM

Stick to discussing Lee and Cowen.

If personal attacks continue the thread will be shut down and infractions will be issued.

Benny FTW 11-02-2013 02:55 PM

Brian Lee wishes he was Cowen.

Powdered Toast Man 11-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 73695127)
Stick to discussing Lee and Cowen.

If personal attacks continue the thread will be shut down and infractions will be issued.

I question your judgement on this being a legitimate topic.

Qward 11-02-2013 03:01 PM

I question a lot of things.

HavlatMach9 11-02-2013 03:02 PM

Cowen is coming off an injury, he's very young, he's relatively fast and of course he's a strong/large dman.

He hasn't put it together yet, but he will, and whether he needs to be sat out right now doesen't make him a Brian Lee.

bacon25 11-02-2013 03:04 PM

Cowen is much better, but everyone seemed to have quite the hard-on for Brian lee.

newerabegins 11-02-2013 03:14 PM

How can someone be Brian Lee lite?

topshelfie 11-02-2013 03:17 PM

Great thread.

Tundraman 11-02-2013 03:23 PM

Lee was an off the board pick. Why an experienced GM allowed himself to be convinced by a scout to go so far off the normal rankings is anyone's guess. The Cowen pick is justifiable. Had he not been injured he would have been gone in the top 5. He has much to learn about playing his position safely at the NHL level but the raw talent is there. I'd wait until he has at least another full injury free year plus a full training camp before making any judgements on him.

Realistically every player makes mistakes during games. If the team was winning we'd see it as a young guy learning his craft. In the last game against the NYI of the 4 goals against none were scored while he and Gryba were on the ice yet as a 22 year old D with just over 1 NHL season under his belt he gets the most cr@p in some circles. IMO the vets and some forwards deserve a lot more criticism than he does.

corksens 11-02-2013 03:26 PM

Cowen is a nightmare in his own end - kind of scary considering he is supposed to be a "defense" first player.

jeffsens11 11-02-2013 03:27 PM

Cowen is not Brian Lee.........Lee was undersized with little to no confidence with no real strength to his game. While Cowen hasnt been great at handling the puck, he can at least play good defensive hockey on the PK and wont get knocked around. Doesn't help that Cowen is coming off a season injured and is still pretty young

derriko 11-02-2013 03:37 PM

Cowen gets a pass from me so far. He's a very good defensive d-man, and that ability didn't just go away, he's just rusty coming back from injuries. I think in the end he ends up somewhere around 20-25 points and gets back to playing solid, physical, positional hockey.

He showed he can play defense effectively his rookie year, minus a rookie mistake here and there which were to be expected.

Add to the fact that d-men take longer to develop, especially 6"5' athletes in general with two development years lost, and he will be right on track by the middle of this season.

He will make people regret making rash decisions on his future 10 games in to the season coming off injury and holdout. I don't usually say this haha, but book it.

And he has more raw ability in his left pinky than Brian Lee as a whole.

Vesa Awesaka 11-02-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derriko (Post 73697283)
Cowen gets a pass from me so far. He's a very good defensive d-man, and that ability didn't just go away, he's just rusty coming back from injuries. I think in the end he ends up somewhere around 20-25 points and gets back to playing solid, physical, positional hockey.

He showed he can play defense effectively his rookie year, minus a rookie mistake here and there which were to be expected.

Add to the fact that d-men take longer to develop, especially 6"5' athletes in general with two development years lost, and he will be right on track by the middle of this season.

He will make people regret making rash decisions on his future 10 games in to the season coming off injury and holdout. I don't usually say this haha, but book it.

Rookie year was good but he's been atrocious since coming back from injury. He was a liability against Montreal and was a MAJOR problem against Pittsburgh. He literally got torched every shift it seemed. This year he's been just as bad as he was in the Pittsburgh series imo. Saying that, thanks. Your confidence is reassuring i just hope he doesnt turn into another bust like Brian was.

Xspyrit 11-02-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derriko (Post 73697283)

I'm with you on this. I've seen that a lot in the NHL. I've seen many teams giving up quickly on D-men just to watch them flourish somewhere else (Coburn, Franson, Beauchemin, Robidas, etc.)

The holdout is really playing against Cowen since he was coming off a serious injury. Right now, he is mainly struggling with his decision making. Really not in "game shape". He has a big hill to climb to get back to pre-injury level. Don't give up Jared

Benny FTW 11-02-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xspyrit (Post 73697855)
The holdout is really playing against Cowen since he was coming off a serious injury. Right now, he is mainly struggling with his decision making. Really not in "game shape". He has a big hill to climb to get back to pre-injury level. Don't give up Jared

Is is decision making he can learn from coaching or is he simply lacking hockey IQ?

SenzZen 11-02-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka (Post 73697719)
Rookie year was good but he's been atrocious since coming back from injury.

I think you just answered your own "question".

Sentient 11-02-2013 04:00 PM

_No_

Magix 11-02-2013 04:10 PM

Lets bring out the pitch forks on a 22 year old defenseman who is coming back from a serious injury, missed the last year and preseason.

This is hilarious.

DG 11-02-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 73695135)
Brian Lee wishes he was Cowen.

He'd probably settle for Jared Cowen lite.

:facepalm:

Xspyrit 11-02-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 73698079)
Is is decision making he can learn from coaching or is he simply lacking hockey IQ?

Tough question but I don't think Cowen's IQ will ever be a super strength or a weakness. He is struggling right now but he has dominated everywhere before. The WHL, then the AHL, then was quite good in his rookie year in the NHL. A 2nd long-term injury really set him back (he's only 22 and basically missed 2 years of development) and I think it must be very hard to get back at the "NHL game speed" (and even harder if you don't get a training camp :facepalm:). Things happen very quickly, you don't have a lot of time to think and if you hesitate just 1 second (like Cowen did against Chicago), you end up looking crazy

Do you think it makes sense?

derriko 11-02-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 73698079)

I don't think he's lacking hockey IQ at all. I think he is just making decisions slow due to rust and conditioning. I saw him play 30 minutes a game in Spokane and the only thing that was weak, and continues to be weak is his puck handling. He does make a bad pinch every once in a while, but there's not very many defenseman who don't.

Even in Bingo last year he was looking like a future top pairing d-man. I'm sure the people who watch their games can attest to that. He was far and away the best player on the ice for either team. He improved his puck carrying skills, and was playing on pp1.

I know he's been bad this year, quite bad at that, but I don't like who he's been paired with so far. I think he needs a offensive guy, and there's just not enough experience between him and Wier. Everybody was ranting and raving about him when he had a good fit with Gonchar.

Carrie Underwood 11-02-2013 04:41 PM

Once he develops and hits his prime. He'll be just as important as karlsson.