HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Player Discussion: Mike Santorelli (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1530191)

Ziostilon 11-02-2013 09:15 PM

Mike Santorelli

Found this thread about Santorelli back when he was waived.

I remember reading from Preds fans that Santorelli just couldn't make the transition from the AHL to the big leagues

He is now playing on Vancouver's second line with Higgins and Burrows.
He plays penalty kill, 2nd unit powerplay. He's 60% on the faceoff dot.

is this the Mike Santorelli that Preds fans had wished for

kypredsfan 11-02-2013 09:21 PM

Don't remind us. He was also not very good for Florida I don't think. Glad to see him finally coming around.

Iron Duke 11-02-2013 09:23 PM

I'd be surprised if he keeps the play up. Still figure he'll top out at the 41 point season he had with the Cats. Good for him if he's finally figured out how to be a consistent performer.

Paranoid Android 11-02-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziostilon (Post 73730671)
Found this thread about Santorelli back when he was waived.

I remember reading from Preds fans that Santorelli just couldn't make the transition from the AHL to the big leagues

He is now playing on Vancouver's second line with Higgins and Burrows.
He plays penalty kill, 2nd unit powerplay. He's 60% on the faceoff dot.

is this the Mike Santorelli that Preds fans had wished for

Yes, this is the player we wished for. But at age 27, 9 years is way too long for one team to wait for him to break out. Sometimes players need a change or two to finally figure it out.

101st_fan 11-02-2013 09:26 PM

Santorelli is hit or miss. Did nothing here. Had one good season in Florida putting up 41 points in 82 games then followed that with 11 points in 60 games. He then put up 4 points in 34 games last season ... reminiscent of his time as a Pred. It's great he's having a hot start in Vancouver but he's still not performed consistently year after year at the NHL level.

Fortheloveofthegame 11-02-2013 10:03 PM

Players from one team to the next with different styles of play will excel in certain systems. Given confidence and ice time can make a huge difference.
Look at Turris, Hodgson, Santorelli, and even a guy ( so far), like Halischuk right now. He is playing really well for the Jets. ( on a 2 way contract but has played so well, they didn't send him to the minors).

PredsV82 11-02-2013 10:03 PM

If we had him for the shootout alone Id be fine with it...

hockey diva 11-03-2013 08:32 AM

So what's the difference? Why couldn't we get those results out of him? Obviously, he is playing with some elite talent in Vancouver.

Jarnberg 11-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey diva (Post 73756563)
So what's the difference? Why couldn't we get those results out of him? Obviously, he is playing with some elite talent in Vancouver.

Confidence, line consistency. System change as well.

triggrman 11-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing 9 years in pro hockey and like 8 different coaches might have finally put the writing on the wall. Let's wait though before we decide the stripes have changed.

TMI 11-03-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

He isn't really playing with "elite talent" in Vancouver. What do they have outside of the Sedins and Kesler? Hell, Kesler is hardly even "elite" unless two seasons happens to propel a player into the tier occupied by the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, et al.

His best winger is Burrows, who, after playing a good amount of time on the wing with the Sedins during seasons in which they won awards for their play, is still below David Legwand in career PPG (Burrows is at .51 PPG while Legwand is at .59).

Though I haven't had the opportunity to watch Vancouver this year, and I am basing this off of the line up presented in the main board GDT for their game last night. I could very well be wrong. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1530079

About a month ago I looked through a lot of advanced stats to see if what I remember from actually watching the games happened to be correct. Santorelli was given every opportunity to succeed here as an offensively skilled forward. He was among the top of the team in terms of quality of linemates. He was among the bottom in terms of quality of competition. It isn't like Trotz was giving this guy **** minutes with grinders against tough competition until he proved he could play defense. He just didn't click, and with only 16 games played I don't see how anyone can even say he has clicked now.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=41

weeze 11-04-2013 09:23 AM

Maybe he is in a system that meets his style of play? I am sure that our grinding dump and chase style, that we all love, isn't for everyone (anyone).

Btw, good for him! hope he lights'em up!

MarkMM 11-06-2013 10:07 AM

Like others have said, too early to call it for sure and people here in Vancouver also have that apprehension, that said, we're as surprised as anyone, he was signed on a two-way deal at minimum with the thought of adding some help to our AHL team and depth for injury call-ups.

But he came to camp ridiculously in shape, even beat the Sedins on the long-distance endurance run, which just doesn't happen. Ever. That caught the team's attention that he was serious about getting his career in gear, had a great camp so couldn't get sent down, then had such a solid pre-season so couldn't get down, basically, he gave the coaches no choice but to play him.

Then he wins most of his face-offs, is nearly flawless on the penalty kill, is invariably the hardest worker nearly every shift of every game...it just seems that when he realized his career as an NHLer was on the precipice, he had to make a decision and came back with a vengeance. Tortorella has a tendency of overplaying people he trusts and Santorelli is in the good books so that gives him plenty of opportunity, but at the same time, he's been a machine and has earned every second.

Also, I think he's a local boy and I seem to recall him saying something about having the added inspiration/motivation of either losing his career or getting a chance to play for the team he cheered for growing up.