HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   End the Rookie Dinner? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1531273)

kernkraft 11-04-2013 01:09 PM

End the Rookie Dinner?

In light of the controversy in Miami over this subject, do you think Bergy should put an end to this tradition?

ashtraygirl 11-04-2013 01:10 PM

it could prevent future purse snatchings!

MonkeyBusiness 11-04-2013 01:19 PM

As long as we don't have Ritchie Incognito on this team we should be fine.

Dr Gonzo 11-04-2013 01:21 PM

What happened in Miami and how does it relate with Montreal?

Habiton 11-04-2013 01:22 PM

I dont think its the same in the NHL but the fact that a rookie starting out should be the last one to open his wallet. If anything they should be helping the rook manage his money.

Pax Macioretty 11-04-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73815395)
As long as we don't have Ritchie Incognito on this team we should be fine.

You're mixing 2 Miami stories. Richie Icognito's the one who was sending threat messages to his teammates.

MonkeyBusiness 11-04-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 73815443)
What happened in Miami and how does it relate with Montreal?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-voicemail/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rks-to-martin/

Jonathan Martin went AWOL on the dolphins after being bullied by Incognito.

poetryinmotion 11-04-2013 01:25 PM

Would be nice to know the back story and all...

Death threats? Well that's just dumb.

MonkeyBusiness 11-04-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 73815607)
You're mixing 2 Miami stories. Richie Icognito's the one who was sending threat messages to his teammates.

I know that, Incognito also bullied Martin so that he would pay for the Vets' Vegas trip and dinners.

kernkraft 11-04-2013 01:32 PM

My takeaway from the story is that veterans in dire financial straights use rookies as ATMs and events like rookie dinners are just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm talking about the NFL of course.

Guy Germaine 11-04-2013 01:32 PM

No, it's a swearing in ceremony of sorts. I believe the rookie dinner is a one time thing and it's split between rookies and if they can't afford it veterans step up and help out.

From what I read about the Miami situation, it was more than just a dinner. Certain rookies were threatened and intimidated into paying multiple expensive tabs, including a trip to Vegas, basically being extorted by their teammates.

Dr Gonzo 11-04-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73815649)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-voicemail/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rks-to-martin/

Jonathan Martin went AWOL on the dolphins after being bullied by Incognito.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but what does that have to do with rookie dinner?

Is it that there's a fear the dinner might create some sort of superiority complex among our vets?

If so, I believe it's much ado about nothing.

kernkraft 11-04-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 73816207)

Is it that there's a fear the dinner might create some sort of superiority complex among our vets?

The Dolphins story is on the frontpage of CNN.com and will inevitably be brought up by hockey media when the Habs do their dinner (but only if it's soon, I forget when it usually takes place). This is why I'd advise against it, at least this season (how many rookies do we have right now anyways, one?).

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 11-04-2013 01:44 PM

NHL is nice compared to the other leagues. That's not to say some hazing doesn't occur but it's mostly light hearted and in prank form. It's more common in the AHL and ECHL but still unlike the American sports.

Dr Gonzo 11-04-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 73816413)
The Dolphins story is on the frontpage of CNN.com and will inevitably be brought up by hockey media when the Habs do their dinner (but only if it's soon, I forget when it usually takes place). This is why I'd advise against it, at least this season (how many rookies do we have right now anyways, one?).

I don't think one isolated incident in another city, in another league, should have any bearing on an annual event that seems to have gone incredibly well for the Habs.

Classic overreaction in my opinion. So far in the NHL there's been how many issues with rookie dinners? 0?

MonkeyBusiness 11-04-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 73816207)

Well I never said it was related to the team's rookie dinner, because as you said it has nothing to do with it. I was just giving links on articles about the Martin incident.

Crimson Skorpion 11-04-2013 02:00 PM

Why would you end the rookie dinner event because of some stupid, isolated incident that occurred in another sport? That's kind of ridiculous.

kernkraft 11-04-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 73816681)
I don't think one isolated incident in another city, in another league, should have any bearing on an annual event that seems to have gone incredibly well for the Habs.

Classic overreaction in my opinion. So far in the NHL there's been how many issues with rookie dinners? 0?

Incredibly well? Don't you remember the rookie dinner with O'Byrne?

It's not just an isolated incident and it's re-igniting the debate over hazing in sports (it's the first thing you see on ESPN.com right now too). I just think that the Habs need as few distractions as possible. So if the rookie dinner was scheduled for this week or next, at least postpone it? You don't think that's prudent, even from a PR perspective?

Team_Spirit 11-04-2013 02:05 PM

Imagine being the only rookie and be forced to pay for fancy 5 star dinner...to 52 large NFL veterans.

Dr Gonzo 11-04-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73816989)
Well I never said it was related to the team's rookie dinner, because as you said it has nothing to do with it. I was just giving links on articles about the Martin incident.

Yeah sorry it was more of a question for the Op.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 73817121)

It's not just an isolated incident and it's re-igniting the debate over hazing in sports (it's the first thing you see on ESPN.com right now too). I just think that the Habs need as few distractions as possible. So if the rookie dinner was scheduled for this week or next, at least postpone it? You don't think that's prudent, even from a PR perspective?

Oh yeah the purse incident after the dinner (they were clubbing, could have happened any time). That's 1 disconnected blip on the radar, but again compared to how many rookie dinners went off without a hitch, and considering that particular incident with O'Byrne doesn't relate to what happened in the NFL, I think it's definitely much ado about nothing.

As long as there's no distasteful hazing (which there has never been with the Habs to my knowledge) I don't see any logical reason in stopping the rookie dinner.

If there was a risk of bad PR I am sure the appropriate people would take it into consideration. It's not something we need to be concerned with to be honest.

MonkeyBusiness 11-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 73817245)
Imagine being the only rookie and be forced to pay for fancy 5 star dinner...to 52 large NFL veterans.

I don't think he had to pay for the whole team, I think it was only for the offensive linemen. Which is still terrible, not surprising to hear that Incognito was bullying him to get that money for the vegas trips, dinners, etc... The guy's a bum.

Bask 11-04-2013 02:35 PM

1 guy once threw a rock and someone got hurt, ban all rocks

MXD 11-04-2013 02:57 PM

I wasn't aware of that Miami story, so I thought the thread referred to the purse snatching incident from, what, 5 years ago...

T'was weird.

DJ Breadman 11-04-2013 03:23 PM

I really hate the time we live it, it's out cry this and out cry that, everyone looking forward to tomorrows drama

ROSSter 11-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 73817121)

Dude you're over thinking it.