HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Set plays for Beer league (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1531869)

mistrhanky 11-05-2013 11:53 AM

Set plays for Beer league

I am on a low level beer league team. We are progressing pretty well and are to the point where we should be running just a few set plays, particularly off face offs. I feel like it will help focus us and organize things a bit if guys know there is a specific thing they should be doing to make a play work instead of just trying to read and adjust, which is a mess because we all do that at different levels.

For example, I want to add a D zone faceoff play for a simple breakout. The idea is when we win a draw back(the center will obviously know this), to have the center immediately break out to the off side. The winger on that side, who is normally charging out to the point will also shade to that side when he clearly sees the puck is not coming back to the point. The D man behind the draw holds the puck to allow for a second or two of clearance, look off the attackers, and sends it hard around the boards to the weak side where the center/winger should already be headed for a quick breakout. Typically we just try to fight it through a crowd, but this gives us set roles and a plan to depend on.

Can anyone recommend some other good, EASY, zone plays I can add to this? Probably starting from faceoff is the best starting point since it does not require a bunch of recognition on the move and the center can call for the play.

TLow97 11-05-2013 01:30 PM

Keep the puck on the boards. Throw it up the glass if necessary. Just as long as you don't put it in front of your net.

Sorry, not much of a play. This should be procedure no matter what you do, especially on lower levels.

Malichek 11-05-2013 07:26 PM

I would use the same tactic what you described, but:

Center wins the faceoff and ties the opponents center. Same thing with your winger on the board side. The other winger (preferably a fast guy) places himself a little bit further away from the faceoff circle than usual and d man on the same side ties the opponents winger. Of course forwards tying opponent should start to look for open space after few seconds. When you win the draw and your d man gets the puck and either lobs the puck to the side where your winger is going or sends it hard around the boards.

This has worked pretty well in every league I have played.

Another one is pretty much same, but the d man carries the puck around the net and starts to look for a possible man open

Bure All Day 11-05-2013 08:06 PM

Fake slap shot, have another guy running to the net, feed him the hard slap-pass, he tips it in..

Works 90% of the time, but it's a bit hard to set-up, gotta have good timing, but it works so well because the defense always think I'm going to shoot, they come to me, feed the guy going to the net, goalie never has a chance

pelts35.com 11-06-2013 08:50 AM

Set play, when the game is over, one guy mans the cooler and hands everyone a beer as they walk by it. :D

Chrisinroch 11-06-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 73914173)
Set play, when the game is over, one guy mans the cooler and hands everyone a beer as they walk by it. :D

Love this:handclap:

Fanned On It 11-07-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Solid.

ATLhockey437 11-07-2013 12:40 PM

Haha It's mens league for goodness sake. Just go out there and have fun. No need to be Mr. Game 7 out there coaching your teammates around. You all paid the same amount of money for the ice time/games.

Sorry for being blunt and I admire your drive to win, but it's called "beer league" for a reason. Whole point of these games is to get away from the nagging wives/gf's, hanging with the boys, and getting a break from reality.

The chemistry will come the more you play with you're liney's and you won't even have to worry about set plays, leave those for the professionals.

Terry Yake 11-07-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 (Post 73975019)
Haha It's mens league for goodness sake. Just go out there and have fun. No need to be Mr. Game 7 out there coaching your teammates around. You all paid the same amount of money for the ice time/games.

Sorry for being blunt and I admire your drive to win, but it's called "beer league" for a reason. Whole point of these games is to get away from the nagging wives/gf's, hanging with the boys, and getting a break from reality.

The chemistry will come the more you play with you're liney's and you won't even have to worry about set plays, leave those for the professionals.

this is spot on

beer league is all about having a good time. don't worry about drawing up plays or anything like that. just keep your feet moving, spread out, and use the boards. the only play you should worry about is who's supplying the beer after the game

Ozz 11-07-2013 02:47 PM

Not sure if you guys experience the same, but in my leagues we have many teams who hate each other. Then there are the highest divisions where most everyone is cool, but half the players have to give it their all just to keep up w/the incredible talents otherwise they'll get killed. Each of those can amplify a friendly game into crazy competition in no time.

That said, nobody draws up plays on a whiteboard or anything, but I see teams who have a tendency to break out in their own way frequently. We tighten up in a specific way on defense when we play a real tough team, but rarely do we come up with set plays on offense.

Jarick 11-07-2013 04:41 PM

We have been using a coach on and off to help teach us breakouts, regroups, skills, tactics, etc. It doesn't matter. We still lose because we don't have enough guys who can score at that level. Before, we used to just give the puck to the ringers who would score the goals.

I guess I should say it's not that it doesn't matter, but that it matters far less than your individual talent.

Really the best instruction I've found so far is defensive positioning:

For the breakout, it's pretty basic. It starts with the defenseman behind the net. Maybe he retrieved the puck from a dump in, maybe he took it from the other team, maybe we won the draw back to the defender. The D-man skates the puck to one side of the net and that side's winger will go to the hash marks with his butt on the boards and face him ready for the breakout pass. The center is cutting across the ice, basically mirroring the defenseman except in front of the net. When the winger gets the puck, he will touch pass it to the center, then follow. The other winger moves up the ice with the center as a passing option.

http://howtohockey.com/wp-content/up...out.jpg?268591

That's in a perfect world. In reality, the priority is getting the puck out of the zone. Sometimes the winger skates it up himself if he has the room. Sometimes he just chips it past the defenseman at the point. Sometimes the defenseman skates it out of the zone.

Offensively, we try and work a triangle. If we have the puck, one person has the puck, one supports the puck carrier, and one person goes to the net. If the player is on the boards, one guy might be in the corner and the other is in front of the net. If the puck is in the corner, one person might be behind the net, one in front of the net. Etc.

That's about it. Hustle up and down the ice, short shifts, put pressure on the other team, and good things will happen. Now, whether or not you win relies on how good your skaters are for that level. But that's a pretty basic way to play.

JoeCool16 11-07-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 (Post 73975019)

You're right that it's about having fun, so if going all out and making plays/practicing them is how his team gets their kicks, why not? :)

To me, Mr. Game 7 is the guy that hacks and slashes players, crashes the crease and doesn't shake hands after a loss. Lots of players I know talk with the other guys/girls on their lines and discuss some ideas for breakouts/zone entry, especially if they've been having trouble with it thus far. I don't think it's so crazy!

Kevin27nyi 11-07-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLow97 (Post 73861053)
Keep the puck on the boards. Throw it up the glass if necessary. Just as long as you don't put it in front of your net.

Sorry, not much of a play. This should be procedure no matter what you do, especially on lower levels.

I'd also have the defenseman pinch up and follow the play after he puts it up the boards to support.

Big thing in beer leagues is having defensively responsible centers and D men that like to pinch IMO.

Green Blob* 11-07-2013 10:15 PM

Set plays in a low level beer league?

Just no\.

Missionhockey 11-08-2013 12:41 AM

I think that power play set ups are good to at least have set positions. Most of the time people just jump out there with out a clue what to do so having an idea where your teammates are setting up is a good idea.

ATLhockey437 11-08-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool16 (Post 73986081)
You're right that it's about having fun, so if going all out and making plays/practicing them is how his team gets their kicks, why not? :)

Because the 97% of other beer league players in North America would not describe that as "fun". We aren't kids anymore, we are grown men. We spend our hard earned money on things we enjoy. We dont spend hundreds of dollars only to be put on a team with some guy who takes competition way too seriously and thinks he can start coaching around his teammates.

Grown men who take beer league this seriously to where they are coming to message boards to ask which set plays to run need to have their priorities adjusted. It's embarassing.

Eventually we're all gonna be too old to play this game or be taken from this earth before our time. Thats why I enjoy every second having fun and not being "that guy" who only cares about winning in beer league.

intangible 11-08-2013 02:18 AM

Here's a thought: if you're not here to help this man find some drills for his team, butt the **** out.

That said, I like the breakout drill above as a basic drill, but with the caveat that it appears you'd end up with all forwards on the same side of the ice.

JoeGarelli 11-08-2013 03:36 AM

why is this guy categorized as a win at all costs try hard type player... there is nothing wrong with chatting about some basic ideas.. certainly not coaching..

i think hockey is more fun, and easier when people play their positions..or atleast have an idea of their responsibility on the ice. isnt it easier if you already know where everyone is generally going to be?

DJN21 11-08-2013 03:45 AM

I dont agree with setting plays in a beer league. I do however at times struggle with people not playing their positions aka centers crashing into a wingers space and dmen rushing every time so I get some frustration. If you are playing with friends I'd say just chuckle and have a good time too much strategy leads to more issues than when you started...if its some strangers get beers before or after, just have fun.

Every beer league is different maybe yours is more intense than mine so I really dont mean to judge at all. I know it can be frustrating when there is ringers in beer leagues too...

ATLhockey437 11-08-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intangible (Post 74025449)
Here's a thought: if you're not here to help this man find some drills for his team, butt the **** out.

Here's a thought: if you guys keep feeding/encouraging him to coach his teammates around with all these drills, he isn't going to get invited back to play with them next season. It happens all the time in every state/province, every season at every level. Eventually, some of his teammates will get annoyed with it.

If OP is in a lower level league, he doesn't need to be wasting energy on set plays. Just go out there and play hard, everything else will come naturally. There are other things one can focus improving on than trying to run set plays.

Im trying to help him realize there is way more to hockey than running set plays trying to win meaningless beer league games. I'll say it again, the point of beer league is to get away from the nagging wives/gf's and shooting the **** with the boys.

Halifaxhab* 11-08-2013 10:25 AM

close eyes, slap puck to opposing goalie. end game, drink beer and make fun of each other.

Jarick 11-08-2013 11:05 AM

There's nothing wrong with having some organization in adult rec hockey. I'd say it's a good thing. Basic positioning, learning the breakout, some faceoff strategy, tips for scoring in the offensive zone...those are all valuable. Especially for those of us who didn't play at a high level as a kid.

If I wanted to play with a bunch of guys who didn't give a crap about positioning or strategy and just wanted to drink beer and float around the ice, I'd play pickup hockey. It's a lot cheaper.

One thing I don't like to see is a lot of pinching from the defense at the point. It's one thing if someone's passing you the puck, but a lot of times they get burned and it's a breakaway the other way. How we play is that if neither team has the puck, play defense. So if there's a loose puck and you aren't 100% sure you are going to get it at the point, and especially if you don't have a D partner to cover, come back and play the gap. Especially at lower levels where you don't have the skills and experience to tie up the other player and your forwards aren't coming back to support.

SCBruCrew4 11-08-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Usually this is the guy who scored on his own net, fell on a breakaway or did some other boneheaded play/move that embarrassed him lol

The Tikkanen 11-08-2013 01:14 PM

IMO, it's hard to run set plays in rec leagues when most guys have never been coached and you don't practice with each other. Having an idea of what you want to do out there instead of reacting to what happens is a great idea. Make sure guys are moving on the faceoffs or at least know what they are supposed to do because most hockey players in rec leagues are not good unless the puck is on their stick (and even then sometimes that doesn't help). In the lower leagues I think the best coaching you can do is tell guys they need to be moving, find somebody, find an open area, they tend to either coast or stand flat footed out of position.

sanityplease 11-08-2013 01:42 PM

Yeah. If the puck goes to the defenseman after the face-off, it's really up to them to decide what to do (clear it, skate around the net, pass to the other d, move the puck to a forward, etc.). If everyone goes to where they're supposed to be, the dman will have options. Set plays (like the one in the OP), assume that the dman will get 1-2 seconds to move the puck. If it's turned over or the pass intercepted then the centerman & winger are likely in poor defensive positions.

Set plays are an advanced tactic. Sounds like the team (OP) should keep working on the basics (Things like Jarick posted), until everyone has mastered them & are @ the same level.