HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   16th Pick...How would you play it? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153213)

Firefly 07-22-2005 04:30 PM

16th Pick...How would you play it?

Who is presumed to be available by then? Who would you choose? BPA? Trade up? Trade down?

I know everyone is upset but let's try to look at the bright side...I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico? :dunno:

Sicilian 07-22-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu3shirt
Who is presumed to be available by then? Who would you choose? BPA? Trade up? Trade down?

I know everyone is upset but let's try to look at the bright side...I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico? :dunno:

i appreciate your attitude, and tomorrow i'll wholeheartedly agree with you. we need to move on and consider the options of our three top picks. tomorrow...

tonight i'm gonna drink like a fish and be pissed at the horrible luck we continue to have.

but thank god pittsburgh has been "saved" again :shakehead

how long after crosby is gone until the next saviour comes along :shakehead

Skroob* 07-22-2005 04:46 PM

we trade the pick, to get higher. pack it with 2 of our 2nds and something else if we have to go get into the top 5 or 6.

We are stocked with role players and 2/3 and 4 liners. were almost set on D and in Goal. We NEED an impact player in the system. Ryan/Kopitar are my top picks, followed by /Pouliot/Brule. Grab even the 6th overall, and you are getting one of these 4 guys.

BigE 07-22-2005 04:48 PM

I don't like picking 16th and I will continue to think that the league dropped the ball on this one but what's done is done. :(

I'd trade up. You've got 3 2nd round picks, lets move up because I don't see anything at 16 that's worth a 16th overall selection. That or trade for a 1st rounder next year.

Sunshine 07-22-2005 04:49 PM

Potential selections

I believe there is a Czech centerman, Martin Hanzal. 6'4 200 and rising in the 1st round, if he's there at #16, he sounds like a good bet as a Ranger pick.

In Round 2, the Russian D-Man Vitali Anikeenko interests me (Tyutin, Kondratiev, Anikeenko)

Dustin Kohn is a real Calgary boy (Sather)

T.J. Hensick of Michigan is another strong possibility (Wolverine connections)

Large_Farva* 07-22-2005 04:50 PM

With the 16th pick expect Marek Zagrapan, Martin Hanzal, Alex Bourret, or Niklas Bergfors.

I'd be happy with either of them.

Shadowtron 07-22-2005 04:55 PM

Trade the garbage. They have enough medocrity. Gee, who can they pick to fill their 4th line five years from now. My response: Who cares?

It's going to be real tough getting me to watch hockey this year. I don't know if I can do this another season. Loss after loss, and there's no indication that it'll ever change. I can't live for these flash in the pan Cup runs every 60 years. I need consistency. Teams go through these cycles, but they get good draft picks, they build with solid youth. The only thing the Rangers have been successful with is losing. This is a garbage franchise and it's never going to change. I wish you guys the best...

Large_Farva* 07-22-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Trade the garbage. They have enough medocrity. Gee, who can they pick to fill their 4th line five years from now. My response: Who cares?

It's going to be real tough getting me to watch hockey this year. I don't know if I can do this another season. Loss after loss, and there's no indication that it'll ever change. I can't live for these flash in the pan Cup runs every 60 years. I need consistency. Teams go through these cycles, but they get good draft picks, they build with solid youth. The only thing the Rangers have been successful with is losing. This is a garbage franchise and it's never going to change. I wish you guys the best...

You clearly aren't even much of a fan anyways with those comments.

FLYLine24* 07-22-2005 05:05 PM

I agree, trade the crap away. Like others have said we have plenty of 3rd liners-4th liners...most likely this player will end up like that as well. We need to get at least a good 2nd line prospect in the system since we lack that. Trade the 16th, 40 and 44th (or whatever those picks are in the 2nd round) to get a top 10 pick...heck even trade all 3 2nd rounders if we can get a top 7-8 pick.

I highly doubt Sather will keep this pick..hes gonna trade up.

BwayBshirt 07-22-2005 05:10 PM

hanzal, zagrapan, bourret, bourdon, lee and if we're lucky lantendresse.

i'm kind of looking at those guys as of right now where we're at

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-22-2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron

Kind of agree. They're not going to get what they need most likely with this pick. From what I have read it's not a very good draft. I'm not sure that trying to trade up makes much sense either.

Overall, very disappointing. What's even worse is better teams have a lot better picks. OTT at 9? This team needed a sure fire top six forward or top pairing defenseman out of this draft and it doesn't look like they're gonna get it. Looks like we're being punished for the way this team has been run for the past 7 seasons. And you know what? They probably deserve it.

Shadowtron 07-22-2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large_Farva
You clearly aren't even much of a fan anyways with those comments.

I guess not. Enjoy being mediocre. Let "lucky" #16 know I said hello and hope th 4th line treats him well in 2010!

Firefly 07-22-2005 05:24 PM

Keep the faith people. I can understand the disappointment, I feel it too. So we didn't get the sure fire, quick fix from this draft. Makes us more likely to have a better shot at it next year.

Let's move on to our haves and forget about our have nots. We're filled to the brim with gritty roleplayers, we've got a handful of very promising goaltenders and defensemen. We'll see our big projects continue to progress(hopefully), and maybe we'll be surprised by a dark horse or a breakout talent. We've also got Immonen, Prucha, Korpi(I know, it'll be a while), Dawes, Graham, etc.

That's not even counting what we may get out of our 16th pick, or whatever we trade up or down for. And you just know Sather will be bringing in some UFAs for this season...he's Glen freakin Sather, he can't NOT sign anyone.

Cheer up, we'll have our day...someday.

Tap on the Ankle 07-22-2005 05:25 PM

I think you guys are being a bit too down on yourselves here. This is a deep draft, among the deepest the NHL has seen in awhile. I can understand being a little upset over drafting 16th, but there are many great prospects in this draft and you will no doubt end up with one of them. It's not like the best players are always drafted with the top picks. Have faith.

Master Lok 07-22-2005 05:38 PM

If its any consolation, Edmonton finished out of the playoffs too in 2003 and we're picking #25.

Firefly 07-22-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo69
If its any consolation, Edmonton finished out of the playoffs too in 2003 and we're picking #25.

Oilers 25th, Panthers 29th. Exactly. It could be worse. Disappointing that we didn't get the homerun but that's no reason to give up all hope.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-22-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Kind of agree. They're not going to get what they need most likely with this pick. From what I have read it's not a very good draft. I'm not sure that trying to trade up makes much sense either.

Overall, very disappointing. What's even worse is better teams have a lot better picks. OTT at 9? This team needed a sure fire top six forward or top pairing defenseman out of this draft and it doesn't look like they're gonna get it. Looks like we're being punished for the way this team has been run for the past 7 seasons. And you know what? They probably deserve it.

Singn, who deserves it? Not the fans, that continue to pay the highest prices and root for them. The teams that should get low picks are the Carolinas of the NHL, let them get a high pick for Nascar or something and watch Bubba race y'all (or even Anaheim who watches hockey there?) and not get to the Finals like the Canes did a few years back, or Dallas did twice in a row (I don't know if they like Nascar, but they can go ride their horse or whatever). Teams that actually have fans that care should get high picks, and I include us, and we don't deserve it. Why should the fans be punished? What did WE do? We weren't the ones that made bad decisions. We continue to get punished, Rangers fans deserve better than getting it in the ass constantly. And for me personally, it's not only a hockey thing. Can't wait for Larry Brown to decline and Eli Manning to bust. I digress though. :cry:

Synergy27 07-22-2005 05:52 PM

Without question, I think Slats needs to put together some sort of package to move into the top 10 atleast. Preferably top 5, but the price might get too high at that point. Either that, or package our picks from the first two rounds this year for an established young player.

Or, we can just pick whoever is available there, suck it hard this year and see how we somehow manage to not land Kessel in the next draft. :cry:

Sicilian 07-22-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu3shirt
Oilers 25th, Panthers 29th. Exactly. It could be worse. Disappointing that we didn't get the homerun but that's no reason to give up all hope.

the face of the nhl landscape is going to be so different this coming season that every team has at least some hope. we're not going to be good this year, and no draft pick, even crosby, was going to change that.

anyone claiming they're not watching anymore is full of it. if you're a fan, you'll watch. if you leave, you were never a fan and never would be. nothing is more pathetic than a TRUE fair weather fan. the spirit of sport is lost on them.

AG9NK35DT8* 07-22-2005 05:57 PM

Pitts
#1 Overall M.A Fluery
#2 Overall Malkin
#1 Overall Crosby

Pretty damn sweet.

Anyway I was pretty dissapointed that NYR got the 16th pick, and also find it just NYR's luck to get 16 while Chi, CMbs, Car and Pitts were all in the top 10. I was honestly expecting NYR to get the 30th Overall but hey what are ya gonna do.

To NYR :#11 overall
To L.A: 16th overall and Montoya

Thats just real quick.

I would rather NYR pick 16th and and have 4 second rounders. If it came down to NYR making a move lets say swapping 1st's and NYR adding a secon rounder the highest one along with a prospect to get don in the top 6 or 7 then cool if not keep what NYR has go with the 16th and have 4 solid picks in the second. This is suppose to be a very deep draft full of awesome prospects so with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds NYR is guaranteed atleast 2 hopefully 3 NHl'ers. But I do also expect Sather to make a big move and try to move down which can be a good thing just hope he dont give up way to much to get where ever he wants to be.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-22-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo69

The Oilers I believe JUST missed the playoffs last time and before that made the playoffs practically every year, no comparison here sorry. The only team bit in the ass more than us is Florida. They'll probably be better than us as they have better young players, but 29th?! You've got to be kidding me. Worst screwing, and then the Rangers are screwed. My favorite though is Ottawa getting #9 or so and Vancouver #10. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Great, those teams that are on the brink of elite will pick in the top 10. Oh and Montreal that was very good last year and has one of the brightest futures will pick #5. Oh and the Ducks were in the SC finals 2 years ago and have the #2 pick. I wonder how bad this would've been if it WASN'T weighted like some retards wanted it to be.

Levitate 07-22-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

hanzal, zagrapan, bourret, bourdon, lee and if we're lucky lantendresse.
yeah that's what i'd be looking at around 16. kindl is also being rated around there or lower and while he hasn't been consistant, he does have a lot of talent...i'd rather go for a forward though

or trade up, if the rangers can package some of their youth without giving up too much

Profet 07-22-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicilian
anyone claiming they're not watching anymore is full of it. if you're a fan, you'll watch. if you leave, you were never a fan and never would be. nothing is more pathetic than a TRUE fair weather fan. the spirit of sport is lost on them.

um... wtf?

Did I miss the fair weather?

We are talking about the NY Rangers... the hockey franchise right?

Oh ok...

FYI... it's been 7 years.

I don't think anyone losing hope at this point can be considered a fair weather fan... maybe a glutton for punishment... but thats a different story.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-22-2005 06:04 PM

BTW, the problem of trading up into the top 10 is that the bottom two teams of top 10 are pretty young and are very good, why do they need 2 or 3 extra draft picks? It'll have to be #8. I don't remember who's #8 though.

P.S. Does anyone else feel like smacking those whiners that cried "FIX!"?

Levitate 07-22-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Pitts
#1 Overall M.A Fluery
#2 Overall Malkin
#1 Overall Crosby

yeah, think about atlanta in their first four years

#1 Stefan (the worst one)
#2 Heatley
#1 Kovulchuck
#2 Lehtonen

:shakehead