HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   DDT: Should the Preds trade their impending FA's ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1532217)

Joe T Choker 11-05-2013 08:16 PM

Should the Preds trade their impending FA's ?

With Pekka being out for 6-8 weeks with e.coli, does it make sense to test the trade market with Legwand, Ekholm, Ellis & Hutton ?

Paranoid Android 11-05-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a killer (Post 73888551)
With Pekka being out for 6-8 weeks with e.coli, does it make sense to test the trade market with Legwand, Ekholm, Ellis & Hutton ?

Legwand and Hutton are our only UFAs.

Can't trade Hutton. Someone's gotta play goal. Besides, he's not worth anything.

I'm pretty torn on Legwand, but I say trade him. We can always try to sign him in the summer if we want him back bad enough. I think he'd be interested in chasing a Cup. He also usually steps up come playoff time, so I could see him garnering interest.

Either way, I would wait until the trade deadline. Who knows, we may still be right in the thick of it?

Gnashville 11-05-2013 08:30 PM

No Ellis and Ekholm are RFA Hutton is a netminder, and Legwand should be a Pred for life

Everlong 11-05-2013 08:39 PM

The value in keeping Legs greatly outweighs the value you'd receive for him in a trade.

thecloser 11-05-2013 09:47 PM

no way we trade legwand, ekholm, and hutton. Ellis maybe if the right thing comes along.

legwand is the best forward we have right now.

dulzhok 11-05-2013 09:59 PM

I was actually saying the other day Legwand was playing surprisingly well. Yes, I know surprise.

But then this board reminded me it's his contract year.

If it's the playoffs or a contract year, all the sudden Legwand has another gear. And that folks is why Legwand has not been considered a every game leader for this team. He's a half-asser the rest of the time.

No way should we sign this guy into his mid-late 30's, unless it's a one-year contract every year.

But he's not going to get much at the deadline. 2nd rd pick or something if he continues to play decent. If we are in the playoff hunt (big IF), might as well keep him.

101st_fan 11-05-2013 10:01 PM

So we should panic and run screaming for the hills while over .500?

Soundgarden 11-05-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 73900581)
I was actually saying the other day Legwand was playing surprisingly well. Yes, I know surprise.

But then this board reminded me it's his contract year.

If it's the playoffs or a contract year, all the sudden Legwand has another gear. And that folks is why Legwand has not been considered a every game leader for this team. He's a half-asser the rest of the time.

No way should we sign this guy into his 30's, unless it's a one-year contract every year.

But he's not going to get much at the deadline. 2nd rd pick or something if he continues to play decent. If we are in the playoff hunt (big IF), might as well keep him.

I could see a contender give a first for him, he steps it up during the post season. Jumping the gun though, I don't see him moving right now.

token grinder 11-05-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 73900699)

yes. and let's go ahead and tank while we watch at home and leave the poor STH the admirals to lose every game down the stretch again

drwpreds 11-05-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

This-

Just reading over this board tonight, if I didn't know any better I'd swear we were 0-14-0 with 0 goals scored on the season.

Rinne's injury is certainly a setback, but unless his career is over, the Preds future looks pretty promising.....

I've railed against the negativity on this board before, so I'll keep it short- but I will repeat that this is one of the most negative team message boards I've ever seen..........

triggrman 11-06-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwpreds (Post 73902635)
This-

Just reading over this board tonight, if I didn't know any better I'd swear we were 0-14-0 with 0 goals scored on the season.

Rinne's injury is certainly a setback, but unless his career is over, the Preds future looks pretty promising.....

I've railed against the negativity on this board before, so I'll keep it short- but I will repeat that this is one of the most negative team message boards I've ever seen..........

Exaclty

Preds101 11-06-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwpreds (Post 73902635)
This-

Im not trying to be negative here and cheered for the Preds all last year even though there was not shot of us going to the playoffs, and I agree the future looks bright, just not this year. Even with a Vezina trophy candidate goalie as a starter we were 4-4? Now with bringing in Hutton/Hellberg/Mazanec will we fair better then .500 especially with the rate that Hutton has been giving up rebounds and the leads that we have given up. I don't think this team is capable of scoring 4+ goals a game. When would it be time to say this year is a wash because of Rinne's injury and start playing some of the prospects(which I am from Milwaukee and go to Admirals games, so I am against this)? I would hate for us to give up a first in a trade and then not even make the playoffs, or sign a FA goaltender and get everyones hopes up and them not be the answer, and them not be able to stand on their head like Rinne did every night.

predfan98 11-06-2013 07:07 AM

NO..........let's just watch hockey.

I swear we need hockey every night to talk about or all these wild threads pop up.

PFL615 11-06-2013 07:41 AM

Does anyone ever think that maybe Legwand has been one of the reasons the offense has not been able to shine. He is a vet and always been on the Preds top line. What if we had someone with the skill of Legwand who "wanted" to be a leader and bust his ass every game. Legwand is like Trotz they are serviceable but where have they got us? Average??

PredsV82 11-06-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a killer (Post 73888551)

are you freaking kidding me?

this is just a downright silly suggestion.

you dont dump assests when you are not even 20 games into the season, not only for the obvious reason that um, we arent anywhere near out of the running, and two, the demand for rental players right now is low, and we wouldnt get nearly the return we would in March when we could get a nice bidding war going.

If it wasnt illegal I'd write you a Rx for Pozac and Xanax....

SeventyOneTN 11-06-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds101 (Post 73911545)
Im not trying to be negative here and cheered for the Preds all last year even though there was not shot of us going to the playoffs, and I agree the future looks bright, just not this year. Even with a Vezina trophy candidate goalie as a starter we were 4-4? Now with bringing in Hutton/Hellberg/Mazanec will we fair better then .500 especially with the rate that Hutton has been giving up rebounds and the leads that we have given up. I don't think this team is capable of scoring 4+ goals a game. When would it be time to say this year is a wash because of Rinne's injury and start playing some of the prospects(which I am from Milwaukee and go to Admirals games, so I am against this)? I would hate for us to give up a first in a trade and then not even make the playoffs, or sign a FA goaltender and get everyones hopes up and them not be the answer, and them not be able to stand on their head like Rinne did every night.

One thing to remember is that deep playoff runs are usually a process. You don't typically stink it up for a few years then suddenly make a run to the finals. The young players need to know what it is like to be in the payoff race down the stretch.

Joe T Choker 11-06-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN (Post 73915115)
One thing to remember is that deep playoff runs are usually a process. You don't typically stink it up for a few years then suddenly make a run to the finals. The young players need to know what it is like to be in the payoff race down the stretch.

As is building or as in this case, re-building, I think this team needs one maybe two more years of elite talent to get it where we would all love it to be... A Stanley Cup

token grinder 11-06-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 73913979)
Does anyone ever think that maybe Legwand has been one of the reasons the offense has not been able to shine. He is a vet and always been on the Preds top line. What if we had someone with the skill of Legwand who "wanted" to be a leader and bust his ass every game. Legwand is like Trotz they are serviceable but where have they got us? Average??

this is so off base. Legwand has rarely been on the "top line" When Arnott was here, his unit was considered that. Then we rolled into Fisher. There have been small stretches where he was, but most of the time he was in that 2nd-3rd line role unless you consider the offensive talents (and I mean scoring goals, not displaying stone hands) a 1st line talent. Or maybe the time Jan Hlavac was on his wing. He was pretty awesome too.

token grinder 11-06-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a killer (Post 73915733)
As is building or as in this case, re-building, I think this team needs one maybe two more years of elite talent to get it where we would all love it to be... A Stanley Cup

the talent is there. the skill is there. the grit is there. It just needs to get healthy and mature a bit

PFL615 11-06-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 73920137)
this is so off base. Legwand has rarely been on the "top line" When Arnott was here, his unit was considered that. Then we rolled into Fisher. There have been small stretches where he was, but most of the time he was in that 2nd-3rd line role unless you consider the offensive talents (and I mean scoring goals, not displaying stone hands) a 1st line talent. Or maybe the time Jan Hlavac was on his wing. He was pretty awesome too.

Are you serious? Legwand has been what was supposed to be one of are top players for the Nashville Predators since he has been here. You are kidding yourself if you think they have wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears the pucks out of the net in the pre-game. He has never got less minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. You need to get your facts straight. With that said your bolded line means you agree with me. If you draft a guy in the top 5 and in your opinion he "rarely been on the "top line" then that is a problem.

dulzhok 11-06-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 73932529)
Are you serious? Legwand has been what was supposed to be one of are top players for the Nashville Predators since he has been here. You are kidding yourself if you think they have wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears the pucks out of the net in the pre-game. He has never got less minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. You need to get your facts straight. With that said your bolded line means you agree with me. If you draft a guy in the top 5 and in your opinion he "rarely been on the "top line" then that is a problem.

The only time Legwand was on the 3rd line for an extended period he responded with a 40 game goal-less steak. Other than that he's been on a rotating scoring line for the most part (Trotz often doesn't have a defined "1st line"). Of course, when Legwand went through he goal-less streak on the 3rd line, it was Joel Ward's fault.

However, Legwand is playing some of the best hockey I've seen from him in the regular season. The last time I saw it, was well, his last contract year 7 years ago.

We'll see how the season progresses and if we can contend for a playoff spot, but like I said, I would not re-sign him unless he takes 1 yr contracts every year. If we are out of playoff contention, I'd certainly look to move him. But a doubt a contender would want him on their scoringline, and maybe they'll forgot about his non-existent production on the 3rd line. He is a guy who needs a kick in the ass, so maybe a change of team would continue to light a fire in him, who knows.

darth5 11-06-2013 04:09 PM

Right now, The only FA I saw listed I would easily part with is Ellis; even then the conditions should be right. As I said in the Miller thread, this is a mini-rebuild. If he can sustain this kind of pace I could see a short term reasonable deal for Legwand. Something commensurate with his role on the Preds, probably not going market rate. I think he might be amenable since he has made his home here, had his kids, etc. Certainty vs salary. Not the right time for a selloff anyway. If this were last year, maybe it would maek more sense, but on the schedule you still see so many points available-- are you ready to write that many off??

dulzhok 11-06-2013 07:28 PM

We should be actively shopping Ellis. There is NO place for him on this team with Josi and Jones.

C'mon Poile, get something for him before his value plummets to zero.

adsfan 11-06-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 73942949)
We should be actively shopping Ellis. There is NO place for him on this team with Josi and Jones.

C'mon Poile, get something for him before his value plummets to zero.

I think this post is the best one in this thread so far.

token grinder 11-07-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 73932529)

Let me see if I can answer every inaccurate statement in this post.

Yes I am serious. Legwand has been one of the top players on the Nashville Predators since he has been here. I never said the coaches wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears pucks out at pre-game. I never said he received fewer minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. What facts do I need to get straight here? What you bolded does not mean I agree with you. There is no problem with my opinion that he has rarely been on a top line here.

Maybe I should have been more clear as in top line I meant a premier scoring line. This is the 2nd time in his career he has been in this role and not the "shutdown center who chips in offensively from time to time" role. At some point, and I will single you out since you opined it, you have to let go of the fact that 15 years later Legwand isn't a point per game superstar. He was who we were supposed to take. Not every top 5 pick is a generational talent. Have to get passed that. YOu obviously hate the games game, which is fine, but there is no use in hyperbole to try and get over how you feel about him. Legwand is a solid NHL player. A solid pro.