HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Maloney on the round table FAs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153313)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-22-2005 09:37 PM

Maloney on the round table FAs

Don did not commit to a lot but he said there are 25 guys in the organization that they want to resign including Balej and Lundmark as well as Jessiman and Lundqvist. Oh yeah and they want Weekes and Poti back. Fan-friggin-tastic.

Oh yeah I hate the shootout.

ECL 07-22-2005 09:44 PM

I really don't mind Weeks being back. At all. I'd rather it be him than one of our goales being thrown to the wolves or going after someone like Joseph. Poti? Whatever. I couldn't really care less about him right now. And I'm hoping that they sign Tyutin back also, haah. Isn't he a RFA also?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-22-2005 09:56 PM

I don't know anymore. It's going to be a long, long time before this team is good again.

My shot in the dark hope is this: if indeed the league is going to be more offense centric, it is the kind of team that Glen Sather can build.

Damn we could use some leadership right about now.

And bring back Leetch already.

NYRangers 07-22-2005 09:57 PM

They are going with Weekes/Labarbera, Maloney already said that. That is good because Weekes is solid but not good enough where he can't be moved to backup or split time with Henrik at some point.

Bacchus 07-22-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Oh yeah I hate the shootout.

That goes quite a bit off topic now, but you all will learn to hate it.

I've watched it for years in the DEL now and it plain sucks. Can you say boooooring...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-22-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
That goes quite a bit off topic now, but you all will learn to hate it.

I've watched it for years in the DEL now and it plain sucks. Can you say boooooring...

I just can't wait to hear fans after there team loses an important game in a shootout. Opinions might change.

ECL 07-22-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

I just can't wait to hear fans after there team loses an important game in a shootout. Opinions might change.

Yeah. Especially when one of those losses comes at the hands fo some injured sniper as the dudes pointed out what might happen earlier in the day. I would be VERY pissed about that.

Levitate 07-22-2005 10:10 PM

i have a feeling they're trying to resurrect poti's trade value

ATLANTARANGER* 07-22-2005 10:16 PM

I think there were several revealing comments

Quote:

I don't know anymore. It's going to be a long, long time before this team is good again.

My shot in the dark hope is this: if indeed the league is going to be more offense centric, it is the kind of team that Glen Sather can build.

Damn we could use some leadership right about now.

And bring back Leetch already.

1) I think JD was right on regarding Leetch. It makes sense first and foremost. second, I think they are commited to younger, faster. So I don't think Leetch is coming back, unless Leetch gives a huge hometown discount and then maybe it is 25/75.

2) I now think Holik and Kasparaitis are as good as gone. It frees up huge amounts of money to be allocated beyond this coming year. The outlook for better, younger UFA's increase as the CBA advances.

3) Players like Prucha & Dawes now become of increasing value because of the rule changes. Prucha because of his speed, Dawes because of his scoring ability.

4) Though disappointed, we still have 4 quality picks. Maybe not franchise type picks, but nonetheless, picks that could add more quality to the stable. Let's not forget one important thing here, picking 17/18 year olds is a crap shoot. Hockey's draft is almost as risky as the baseball draft. You have a hard time figuring out whether a 17/18 year old has maxxed out in his development, or maybe he's a late bloomer. It certainly will be interesting.

5) One important thing about not getting Crosby, I think there is now a zero chance Messier is brought back. Had we won, I think the temptation would have been to bring him back to mentor the kid. I think J.D.'s point about Fl makes an awful lot of sense. Hoepfully, Mark comes to his senses and stops tarnishing his reputation by his continuing to play.

Kovy274Hart 07-22-2005 10:19 PM

Forget Leetch. Let's focus on buying out Holik and freeing up that money to bring in 2-3 players with the extra cap space.

I am for a serviceable LW a la Rucinsky and a nice stay-at-home D like Rathje.

I have to agree with Sing about our team's future. We must have the worst luck in the world.

My main hope is they sign Jessiman and he has a good camp and makes the roster and they put him with Jagr. Not realistic though.

I want them to stay committed to the plan. Remember, Kessel is two yrs away.

Potter 07-22-2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

cut the traditionalist BS. ties are terrible and this is a realistic solution. that all-star game that ended in a shootout was one of the most exciting things (actually the only exciting thing recently) i've seen in hockey. its a good idea and puts the game back into the hands of the skilled players, not just unskilled goons and athletic guys who cant handle a puck. if your team has 3 better shooters and a better keeper than the other team you'll win. this traditionalist resentment towards the shootout is absurd because all it is is complaining, no talk of realistic solutions.

Yizee* 07-22-2005 10:29 PM

Stan Fischler mentioned Markus Nasland as a player the Rangers should go after - I for one want them to get a star left winger like Naslund or Kariya or Demitra - the rest of the lines can be all kids after that I dont care but lets have one superstar line with Jagr

Kovy274Hart 07-22-2005 10:30 PM

I have to side with Sing on the rule changes. Sure, more of them are good but the shootout and the goalie being restricted to play pucks are absolutely ridiculous.

And to hear NHL brass make it sound like "All NHL fans wanted every change" is complete BS.

They have turned their back on diehard fans.

Kovy274Hart 07-22-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yizee
Stan Fischler mentioned Markus Nasland as a player the Rangers should go after - I for one want them to get a star left winger like Naslund or Kariya or Demitra - the rest of the lines can be all kids after that I dont care but lets have one superstar line with Jagr

Stan is off his rocker. He also has Leetch in Long Island. Naslund a Ranger? Cmon!

dedalus 07-22-2005 10:35 PM

Jagr could win more than his share of games on shootout. I wonder iof his trade value just inched up.

At one time I said buy him out. Now I'm very much of the mind to keep him until the deadline and then move him to a contender. If he plays well he might net a nifty asset.

Potter 07-22-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
I have to side with Sing on the rule changes. Sure, more of them are good but the shootout and the goalie being restricted to play pucks are absolutely ridiculous.

And to hear NHL brass make it sound like "All NHL fans wanted every change" is complete BS.

agree with you about the goalie playing the puck. completely disagree with you about the shootout.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-22-2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah because their team will get 1 point instead of...1 point if they tied.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-22-2005 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart

First of all why do you assume that all diehard fans feel the same way as you? Plus, what's the point of pleasing die hard fans? They'll stay it's those casual fans that they want to get to watch every game and the non-fans that might start being fans. Do you not want the league have better success?

NYR469 07-23-2005 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yizee

yeah lets get a superstar line so the team is top heavy and the coaches are tempted to double and triple shift that line when things get tough...nothing like playing a line of naslund-nylander-jagr 27:00/game to progress the rebuild.

burner10115 07-23-2005 12:16 AM

i personally hate ties. Shoot-outs are exciting, and I enjoy watching them. Now is it a fair way of determining a winner? That's debatable, but it does take the best players of each team and we see who the best of the best is on each team. To me, the shoot-out seems fair b/c if a team's best guys can't hack it, then is their team really worthy of even a tie (without a shootout)?
pertaining goalies handling the puck and being restricted to the zone, I'm not sure if it does anything? Doesn't most of a goalies puck handling ocur within that zone anyways? I mean, is there something i'm missing, ir have i not seen hockey in so long I just can't remember? :cry:

NYR469 07-23-2005 12:17 AM

there aren't 25 unsigned rfas in the organization by my count...so that number has to include a handful of prospect in addition to jessiman and lundqvist.

RangerBoy 07-23-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
there aren't 25 unsigned rfas in the organization by my count...so that number has to include a handful of prospect in addition to jessiman and lundqvist.

He also mentioned Al Montoya

Radek27 07-23-2005 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
yeah lets get a superstar line so the team is top heavy and the coaches are tempted to double and triple shift that line when things get tough...nothing like playing a line of naslund-nylander-jagr 27:00/game to progress the rebuild.

Uh what teams don't give thier top line this kind of icetime if not more? Ever look at the icetime of players like Sundin, Federov, Bure ect? No lets make our best players play less so our 4th liners can play more.

eco's bones 07-23-2005 02:31 AM

There should be a lot of players on the open market. I don't know why we couldn't
do better than Poti. He's not going to be that far away from free agency anyway.
He plays like Willie Huber. Or Kevin Hatcher. We can do better than that just throwing a kid in. Rather see 3 vets on D. 3 young guys. Poti not included.

free0717 07-23-2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate
i have a feeling they're trying to resurrect poti's trade value

Potis' Trade Value??? :biglaugh: