HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Marc Denis' perspective on player management and PK Subban (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1533339)

FuzzyWuzzy 11-07-2013 10:51 AM

Marc Denis' perspective on player management and PK Subban
 
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/c...ubban-1.682524

One of the best pieces i've read from an hockey analyst. It's not about stats, it's about comradeship within a hockey team and how players spring back and forth after being fustigated on the public place.

MasterDecoy 11-07-2013 11:17 AM

I wub Marc Denis

edit: haven't read it or anything...

The Right Price 11-07-2013 11:18 AM

Marc Denis for head coach!

Heck, Marc Denis for GM! :handclap:

windycity 11-07-2013 11:26 AM

Yup, really good read. The fact is that NONE of here have any idea what's really going on in that lockeroom or between MT and PK. Nor do most if not all the so-called journalists, their bias is to stay relevant in the market place, accuracy be damned especially when it's not something that is readily disprovable.

Blind Gardien 11-07-2013 11:28 AM

It seems sort of beside the point, though.

Habs 11-07-2013 11:31 AM

I can't stand Marc Denis, I put his opinions somewhere around Darren Dreger and Howie Meeker. There's around a dozen people here I would listen to before him. I'm not naming names though.

FlyingKostitsyn 11-07-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian
It seems sort of beside the point, though.

He does say its not another Subban article. Its great insight about how things go behind the scenes, coming from a one of the rare well spoken and intelligent former athlete.

Marc Denis is of a far higher standard than anyone else on RDS, I'm glad he's there. Lightyears ahead of guys who struggle to make complete sentences like Carbo or Brunet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs
I can't stand Marc Denis, I put his opinions somewhere around Darren Dreger and Howie Meeker. There's around a dozen people here I would listen to before him. I'm not naming names though.

Why? He's a coherent, well spoken and rational individual that also happens to have recent pro experience (not the ''quand je coachais Peter Stastny, jel fesait jouer 30 minutes par match! pourquoi ont fait pas ca avec Desharnais!??'' kind of experience)

windycity 11-07-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn (Post 73974613)
(not the ''quand je coachais Peter Stastny, jel fesait jouer 30 minutes par match! pourquoi ont fait pas ca avec Desharnais!??'' kind of experience)

:laugh:

love it

FuzzyWuzzy 11-07-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windycity (Post 73974345)
Yup, really good read. The fact is that NONE of here have any idea what's really going on in that lockeroom or between MT and PK. Nor do most if not all the so-called journalists, their bias is to stay relevant in the market place, accuracy be damned especially when it's not something that is readily disprovable.

My thoughts exactly and also the reason why i found the article to be so good - Denis was indeed in a high-pressure situation within his team as a #1 goalie and his imput is clearly honest and to the point.

Also FlyingKostitsyn is right... Denis is BY FAR the most agreeable, well-spoken analyst RDS has and might just be the best french analyst overall.

Smokey Thompson 11-07-2013 11:56 AM

Wow I always knew he was well spoken and articulate, but didn't realize he was this good of a writer. Very good read, offers an interesting take on the whole situation.

Thanks for sharing:handclap:

pepperMonkey 11-07-2013 12:02 PM

Umm...can someone offer a brief summary translation for those of us who *gasp* don't read French?

PKarey Plekoretty 11-07-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperMonkey (Post 73976077)
Umm...can someone offer a brief summary translation for those of us who *gasp* don't read French?

http://translate.google.com/

Copy/paste er in. Comes out a little choppy, but you can get the point

Quagmier 11-07-2013 12:31 PM

That was an extremely well written article and made me realize how much i miss speaking, reading and writing in french (been out on the west coast for 7 years now...my vocabulary has eroded even though my hard earned Quebecois accent has not).

The best part of that article, which seemed directly applicable to the current situation with PK, was Denis' description of his relationship with Tortorella in Tampa Bay. As i understood (and maybe I'm a little off), he was saying he never got upset when Tortorella was harsh on him to the press, but that it took its toll when Torts would criticize his play then not give him the chance to make amends soon after. Basically that combination called his own abilities into question and made him doubt that he could be a starter in the NHL.

To those of us who follow the Habs more closely than we ought to, i think we probably worry that the same thing is happening to PK. Criticize him, reign him in, bench him when he messes up, sure...but maintain a balance while doing so. You want to ensure that PK understands there is still plenty he has left to learn, but that, at the end of the day, he still knows he has the confidence and support of his teammates and coaching staff.

Seb 11-07-2013 01:40 PM

Here's Martin Leclerc's take on Therrien/Subban : http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...s-sur-twitter/

WhiskeySeven 11-07-2013 01:45 PM

I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?

MonkeyBusiness 11-07-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb (Post 73980319)
Here's Martin Leclerc's take on Therrien/Subban : http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...s-sur-twitter/

Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous. Also, I would like him to tell me how P.k is not a better choice to be on the penalty kill than Bouillon or Diaz. He was a mainstay there in 2011-12 and fared very well, why couldn't he be able to hold a spot now?

Lebowski 11-07-2013 03:22 PM

Marc Denis is one of the few quality analysts remaining on RDS.

ECWHSWI 11-07-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73980773)
Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous. Also, I would like him to tell me how P.k is not a better choice to be on the penalty kill than Bouillon or Diaz. He was a mainstay there in 2011-12 and fared very well, why couldn't he be able to hold a spot now?

we're 5th on the penalty kill this season...

and last game we allowed no goal to the #4 PP in the league...

Domenic 11-07-2013 03:33 PM

Great, intelligent article. Sports "journalists" in this city should take note.

Strat 11-07-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 73980499)
I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?

It's written by and for people who are not of the Twitter generation and who require an immediate point to be made. Just like jokes require a setup to be established before hitting the audience with a punchline, Marc Denis is simply painting a picture.

His article only had a few hundred words. Is your attention span that short? How long did it honestly take you to read that? 4-5 min, right? Is your time that precious? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73980773)
Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous.

Yep. It's an old illogical argument. You can't criticize music unless you've made an album, can't criticize food unless you're a chef, can't criticize a car unless you're a mechanic, etc.

It gets old after a while.

Having said that, I hope people would understand that what they are commenting on is the *perception* of what is going on. There are plenty of factors we might not be privy to based entirely on the fact that we are not in the room.

The bottom line is that MT has been in the league for a long time now and has successfully coached a team that was in the basement all the way to the top ranks of the league. Though I don't think that makes him impervious to criticism (some quite valid), he nevertheless has a lot of experience and has been exposed to some top-tier talent previously (Crosby, Malkin, etc.). Even though his approach might rub some the wrong way, there are more chances that his is the "correct" one more than it could be the wrong one.

My 2 cents...

Mrb1p 11-07-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 73980499)
I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?

Thats Marc Denis for you.

He was a novelist in another life.

ECWHSWI 11-07-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat (Post 73984843)
It's written by and for people who are not of the Twitter generation and who require an immediate point to be made. Just like jokes require a setup to be established before hitting the audience with a punchline, Marc Denis is simply painting a picture.

His article only had a few hundred words. Is your attention span that short? How long did it honestly take you to read that? 4-5 min, right? Is your time that precious? :p


Yep. It's an old illogical argument. You can't criticize music unless you've made an album, can't criticize food unless you're a chef, can't criticize a car unless you're a mechanic, etc.

It gets old after a while.

Having said that, I hope people would understand that what they are commenting on is the *perception* of what is going on. There are plenty of factors we might not be privy to based entirely on the fact that we are not in the room.

The bottom line is that MT has been in the league for a long time now and has successfully coached a team that was in the basement all the way to the top ranks of the league. Though I don't think that makes him impervious to criticism (some quite valid), he nevertheless has a lot of experience and has been exposed to some top-tier talent previously (Crosby, Malkin, etc.). Even though his approach might rub some the wrong way, there are more chances that his is the "correct" one more than it could be the wrong one.

My 2 cents...

pretty much, has more than 100 (?) characters ;)

Hope Of Glory 11-07-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven (Post 73980499)
I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?

I take this any day of the week over some non-sensical and sometimes fallacy filled articles from clowns like Bertrand Raymond or Gaston Therrien.

MonkeyBusiness 11-07-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 73984771)
we're 5th on the penalty kill this season...

and last game we allowed no goal to the #4 PP in the league...

Thanks for the update, but have you read the article? My guess is no since you came up with this reply, in the article the guy says that we aren't using P.k on the penalty kill because we have better options. Hence why I asked that question.

ECWHSWI 11-07-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness (Post 73986077)
Thanks for the update, but have you read the article? My guess is no since you came up with this reply, in the article the guy says that we aren't using P.k on the penalty kill because we have better options. Hence why I asked that question.

your guess is wrong.

I wasnt replying to Marc Denis, I was replying to YOU, the guy who complained about P.K. not being used on the... P.K...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.