HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vancouver-Columbus Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153347)

SedinFan* 07-22-2005 10:22 PM

Vancouver-Columbus Proposal

To Van: #6 pick, 4th round pick (2005)

To CBJ: Brent Sopel and the #10

barrytrotzsneck 07-22-2005 10:34 PM

I'm no Sopel fan, but for 4 spots, I would hope the Jackets would think long and hard about that. He'd be a big help to them.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 07-22-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
I'm no Sopel fan, but for 4 spots, I would hope the Jackets would think long and hard about that. He'd be a big help to them.

Agreed. Personally, I'd prefer Allen and let the Jackets pick up some blueline offense from free agency.

But this is very tempting.

Hedberg 07-22-2005 10:38 PM

Gaining 4 spots for a player that probably won't be there is not worth Bryan Allen or Brent Sopel. Maybe Kirill Koltsov or Marek Malik.

barrytrotzsneck 07-22-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg16
Gaining 4 spots for a player that probably won't be there is not worth Bryan Allen or Brent Sopel. Maybe Kirill Koltsov or Marek Malik.

And falling from great prospect to decent prospect for never-going-to-be's or never-has-beens isn't worth it, either...so...CBJ would pass on that.

SedinFan* 07-22-2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg16

Sopel is replaceable, and it would give the Canucks at least 1.6 million in cap room to play with, which they need. Plus they could possibly get their hands on a guy like Brule. He'd look good in the Canucks system, an offensive player...when was the last time the Canucks had one that they drafted, it's been awhile.

X0ssbar 07-22-2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

*thinking long and hard*

...very tempting..out of couriousity who would Vancouver be targeting at 6?

SedinFan* 07-22-2005 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Shelf
*thinking long and hard*

...very tempting..out of couriousity who would Vancouver be targeting at 6?

Gilbert Brule and if he's already been taken it'd give them more options to grab an offensively gifted forward (ie Kopitar, Ryan, Brule etc)

Fan-in-Van 07-22-2005 10:42 PM

Brule

Biatcheslov 07-22-2005 10:44 PM

As a Canucks fan I would think about this one but not necessarily do it. I'm not a huge Sopel fan but I'd prefer to move prospects.

barrytrotzsneck 07-22-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korkanu
As a Canucks fan I would think about this one but not necessarily do it. I'm not a huge Sopel fan but I'd prefer to move prospects.

well, the problem is that the Jackets aren't a rebuilding team. They're at the point where they HAVE prospects. They need guys who can step in and help NOW. They've got the firepower, but if they want to be sniffing around the playoffs, with all the competition from teams that could be in that 6-8 range...Edmonton, Calgary, Nashville, Phoenix, LA, Minnesota...maybe even Chicago...they need a guy to play THIS season. That's not Koltsov, Malik isn't good enough, Allen is too much to pay....Sopel is perfect. The Nucks can afford to lose him, it frees up some precious cap room to re-sign Naslund and Bertuzzi...and the Nucks get one of Brule, Kopitar or Ryan...a nice prospect, no matter who it is.

SedinFan* 07-22-2005 10:54 PM

Quote:

The Nucks can afford to lose him, it frees up some precious cap room to re-sign Naslund and Bertuzzi...a

Bertuzzi's under contract already, just suspended.

X0ssbar 07-22-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

well, the problem is that the Jackets aren't a rebuilding team. They're at the point where they HAVE prospects. They need guys who can step in and help NOW. They've got the firepower, but if they want to be sniffing around the playoffs, with all the competition from teams that could be in that 6-8 range...Edmonton, Calgary, Nashville, Phoenix, LA, Minnesota...maybe even Chicago...they need a guy to play THIS season. That's not Koltsov, Malik isn't good enough, Allen is too much to pay....Sopel is perfect. The Nucks can afford to lose him, it frees up some precious cap room to re-sign Naslund and Bertuzzi...and the Nucks get one of Brule, Kopitar or Ryan...a nice prospect, no matter who it is.

That does pretty much sums things up for us. We absolutely need to challenge for the playoffs this year and we need guys who can step in, especially on 'D', and contribute now.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 07-22-2005 11:11 PM

At 10, CBJ can pick up a guy like Bourret or O'Mara too.

Very tempting deal. Very tempting.

Though I wouldn't pull the trigger until I'm on the clock. If Brule's there I don't know if I'd do the trade. I like Gilbert a lot.
If Ryan's there, I'd make the trade.

Crows* 07-22-2005 11:13 PM

It's a no lose situation for the Canucks and the Jackets get a much needed defenceman.

Canucks could take brule at 6.. even if brule got taken at 5 , 4 or 3, they still get a much better player at 6 then 10.

Biatcheslov 07-22-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

yeah, good points. Upon further consideration I think I would do this deal.

Darth Milbury 07-22-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Attack
Sopel is replaceable, and it would give the Canucks at least 1.6 million in cap room to play with, which they need. Plus they could possibly get their hands on a guy like Brule. He'd look good in the Canucks system, an offensive player...when was the last time the Canucks had one that they drafted, it's been awhile.

IMO, this is good logic and sensible thinking This deal would help both teams.

LaVal 07-22-2005 11:32 PM

Sopel is a terribly underrated defensemen, and could very well end up as Columbus' #1. I don't think giving up Sopel is worth 4 spots, however the real incentive is dumping salary which the Canucks need to do in order to have enough wiggle room, while gaining a solid prospect.

As a Canuck fan I'd think about it as well. Very solid proposal.

Hedberg 07-22-2005 11:34 PM

Upon reconsideration, I would do this.

Peter Griffin 07-22-2005 11:37 PM

If I was the Canucks I would definitely consider making this deal if Brule or Kopitar are still on the clock at #6. Sopel has been a solid contributer for the Canucks in the past few years, but he is replaceable, especially with the ammount of UFA's available, and especially if the Canucks are considering signing Niedermayer.

Ohlund-Salo
Allen-Jovanovski
Malik-Bieksa/UFA replacement

IMO, it's a win-win situation for both teams.

Crows* 07-22-2005 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
If I was the Canucks I would definitely consider making this deal if Brule or Kopitar are still on the clock at #6. Sopel has been a solid contributer for the Canucks in the past few years, but he is replaceable, especially with the ammount of UFA's available, and especially if the Canucks are considering signing Niedermayer.

Ohlund-Salo
Jovanovski-Allen
Malik-Bieksa/UFA replacement

IMO, it's a win-win situation for both teams.

I like this better

Ohlund Niedermyer

Jovo salo

Malik Allen

Peter Griffin 07-22-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crows
I like this better

Ohlund Niedermyer

Jovo salo

Malik Allen

Ohlund/Niedermayer is an awesome pairing, no arguining with that. Jovo/Salo has been tried before, didn't work at all. Malik/Allen is just asking for trouble IMO. If Niedermayer is signed, most likely means that Jovo is on the way out because of salary issues, so this is what I'd want to see:

Ohlund-Niedermayer
Allen-Salo
Malik-Bieksa/UFA

RDriesenUD 07-23-2005 12:51 AM

from a jackets fan.........HELL NO. no way do i pass on a kopitar, ryan, brule, for who knows at 10 and someone i dont want in sopel

incawg 07-23-2005 01:00 AM

I'd probably do this from the Canucks POV. It depends on who is still around at #6 though.

Shareefruck 07-23-2005 01:01 AM

I'd do that. If we got the Niedermayers after that we'd be pretty damn set.

Naslund. Morrison. Bertuzzi
Sedin. Sedin. Niedermayer
Cooke. Brule. Linden
May. Chubarov. Ruutu

Ohlund. Niedermayer
Malik. Jovanovski
Allen. Salo

Cloutier. Auld

Does Brule play wing? if so I'd switch him and Niedermayer around. Not sure if that'd fit under the cap, though. Only weakness is goaltending..