HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The only thing do to do at the draft is to .... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153508)

RANGERDIEHARD 07-23-2005 12:04 PM

The only thing do to do at the draft is to ....

do absolutely nothing!

I have to say that I am bit surprised at some of the comments made on these boards at what moves the Rangers must make and that if we do not make any moves that we will not land that impact player that we so desperately need in this draft. Other posters have offered to trade our 2nd round picks just to move from 16th to 10th position!? I, like everyone else, was disappointed when I heard our name called at 16. But we have to put things into perspective and realize one thing - besides Sidney Crosby there is NO prospect in this draft that is guaranteed to be a star player in the NHL. If you look at this years' draft you will see the same thing in previous years - most of these 18 year olds are good/great prospects, nothing more. Some of the names listed in the top 10 may never play in an NHL game, some may be great. The same thing can be said for the other players in the draft as well. Just look at the Rangers top prospects today and see where in the draft order they where picked. Fedor Tjutin was picked at 40 in the 2001 draft behind many players that will never be as good as him. Then take a look at where Lundqvuist was drafted, and while you are at it look at Immonen and Dawes. The point that I am trying to make is that the NHL draft for the most part is a crap shoot and it's best to have multiple picks so the odds of a team landing an impact player improve.

The Rangers have 4 picks in the top 45, we should not change our situation so that we have less picks for the sake of drafting a Bobby Ryan or an Anze Kopitar. Now I am not saying that these prospects will not turn out to be great, but I also am saying that no one can say that they WILL be great either.

Now when you look at what players we will have a shot at you will see that there is little difference compared to where we thought we would be drafting (5-10). A player like Marek Zagrapan if available may turn out to be our finesse #1/#2 Center, he certainly has some impressive stats. Then you have a player like Guillaume Latendresse, scouts had him in the top 10 last year...who knows, maybe he can be another Todd Bertuzzi who happened to be picked at 23 by the Islanders in 1993. Martin Hanzel is another finesse player who has done very well at the level that he has played.
Trading picks to move up in the draft rarely works, just look in the past and you will see.

BTW - I get goose bumps every time I see the new Rangers commercial!

Onion Boy 07-23-2005 12:08 PM

I wouldn't overpay to move into the top ten, but there is a noticeable separation between about the top 25 and the rest. I would have no problems move two 2nds for a late 1st.

There are alot of guys I like in the 2nd, but I'm not confident many of them will fall to 40-45. We'll see. Whether you like or not though, I bet we'll see some moves in the first two rounds.

Onion Boy 07-23-2005 12:09 PM

BTW, if we didn't make moves, we probably wouldn't have gotten the guy in your avatar (who I absolutely love by the way and was hoping the Rangers would gun for him on draft day).

RANGERDIEHARD 07-23-2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb3599
BTW, if we didn't make moves, we probably wouldn't have gotten the guy in your avatar (who I absolutely love by the way and was hoping the Rangers would gun for him on draft day).

Of course I was happy to get Korpi, but I still do not know if he is going to be a great NHLer and there is no way to know for sure if he would have lasted 5 more picks.
The Rangers traded the 24th and 46th pick I believe to move up only 5 spots. I don't like how that sounds.

And to reply to your other statement - I am pretty sure that the Rangers will move some of their picks and/or some current prospects to move up in the draft. That's why I am making this argument.

DarthSather99 07-23-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb3599

I disagree...Since we did make moves, overpaying with prospects and picks...that led to your Avatar showing up ....

DarthSather99 07-23-2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
do absolutely nothing!

I have to say that I am bit surprised at some of the comments made on these boards at what moves the Rangers must make and that if we do not make any moves that we will not land that impact player that we so desperately need in this draft. Other posters have offered to trade our 2nd round picks just to move from 16th to 10th position!? I, like everyone else, was disappointed when I heard our name called at 16. But we have to put things into perspective and realize one thing - besides Sidney Crosby there is NO prospect in this draft that is guaranteed to be a star player in the NHL. If you look at this years' draft you will see the same thing in previous years - most of these 18 year olds are good/great prospects, nothing more. Some of the names listed in the top 10 may never play in an NHL game, some may be great. The same thing can be said for the other players in the draft as well. Just look at the Rangers top prospects today and see where in the draft order they where picked. Fedor Tjutin was picked at 40 in the 2001 draft behind many players that will never be as good as him. Then take a look at where Lundqvuist was drafted, and while you are at it look at Immonen and Dawes. The point that I am trying to make is that the NHL draft for the most part is a crap shoot and it's best to have multiple picks so the odds of a team landing an impact player improve.

The Rangers have 4 picks in the top 45, we should not change our situation so that we have less picks for the sake of drafting a Bobby Ryan or an Anze Kopitar. Now I am not saying that these prospects will not turn out to be great, but I also am saying that no one can say that they WILL be great either.

Now when you look at what players we will have a shot at you will see that there is little difference compared to where we thought we would be drafting (5-10). A player like Marek Zagrapan if available may turn out to be our finesse #1/#2 Center, he certainly has some impressive stats. Then you have a player like Guillaume Latendresse, scouts had him in the top 10 last year...who knows, maybe he can be another Todd Bertuzzi who happened to be picked at 23 by the Islanders in 1993. Martin Hanzel is another finesse player who has done very well at the level that he has played.
Trading picks to move up in the draft rarely works, just look in the past and you will see.

I agree, I think the Rangers could still get a great player at #16. Look at past drafts and many of the great NHLers have been drafted in the teens. I especially have my eye on Juraj Mikus. But if you go on what the characteristics of a "ranger" is now, tough, hard working, team oriented, good two way player ....there is none better than Alex Bourret. He's a cannonball with a scoring touch, 5'10 210 lbs. I think he's alot like Messier with not as much offense, a tough leader. He's compared to Teemu Ruutu by ISS. I also like Guillaume Latendrasse and Brian Lee who's projected to be a 6'3 210lb offensive D man.

barrel_master 07-23-2005 01:15 PM

I also agree... Lundquist wasn't a high pick.

Levitate 07-23-2005 02:06 PM

thank god the draft is just in a week or whatever...don't have to sit and speculate about this stuff forever

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-23-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD

I get sick.