HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Roster at 25 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15352)

Jori 09-29-2003 12:25 PM

Roster at 26

Willsie is the latest cut.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/fea...829151253.html

That guarantees one of Liles, Svatos, or McCormick will make the team giving the Avs two rookies to start the season with the big club.

avs1dacup 09-29-2003 12:28 PM

26-1=25, not 26 ;) but i think we all saw this coming. he showed absolutely nothing in camp and the preseason. i think liles has a spot GUARANTEED. smith will be the next to go and the last cut at forward will be the hardest to make.

DarioinDenver 09-29-2003 12:44 PM

Very interesting.

Smith
McAllister
Aubin
Cummins
McCormick
Svatos
Liles
Hahl

Two more cuts left.....

DJ Smith and...... ?

Two of the three rookies should make it. I'm all for signing Cummins and sending Svatos to Hershey. I think McCormick fits better on the bottoms lines but Svatos can be called up for injuries on the front six. I think with all the PK they put McCormick through they are ok with his defensive ability. I'm pretty much a Cummins fan having watched his energy during camp and his stand up play during preseason. I especially like his comments regarding Avery in this article http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...306306,00.html

In my dream world Aubin and DJ Smith are reassinged. Pierre needs to package some of this 3rd/4th line forward depth like Aubin, Wilsie, Krestanovich etc... for some draft picks. Then again, next year will be a different story with all the 1 year deals he's signed.

AvsGuy 09-29-2003 12:45 PM

boy, if you'd have asked me who i thought would be the LAST guy to stick with the Avs this year, it would've been Cody McCormick. i thought this guy was a long-term project, or am i thinking of someone else??? anyhow, i hadn't even heard much about him from the training camp posts that Dario and Cazzy put up here, is he really THAT GOOD???

Gumballhead 09-29-2003 12:54 PM

Aubin

Has Aubin been hurt, or just not playing, or just not doing anything with his playing time? I don't think I've heard a peep about him other than when people talk about possible line combinations.

I like his energy and faceoff ability, but it sure looks like we have a lot more going for us this year in those departments, making him kind of obselete. I will say that if I had the choice of keeping Aubin and having him be a frequent scratch, or one of the young guys being a frequent scratch, I'd want the Avs to keep Aubin and have the young guys go play at Hershey so they can get ice time until they are actually needed on the big club.

I bet Cummins makes the club, and he and Worrell are going to be fan faves. I just hope we don't get too rough and tumble, this team has done very well without that sort of stuff. If for some reason DJ Smith makes the team, we'll have an awful lot of guys who fight. And take penalties.

DarioinDenver 09-29-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
boy, if you'd have asked me who i thought would be the LAST guy to stick with the Avs this year, it would've been Cody McCormick. i thought this guy was a long-term project, or am i thinking of someone else??? anyhow, i hadn't even heard much about him from the training camp posts that Dario and Cazzy put up here, is he really THAT GOOD???

The old posts are all gone but it's no secret that I've always been a bit of a homer for Cody McCormick. I've tried very hard to be objective when it comes to him because of my obvious bias about his potential previously.

The things I like about McCormick; 1. Work Ethic. Voted in the OHL coaches poll two years straight as one of the leagues hardest workers 2. Fantastic body checker. Voted in the OHL coaches poll as one of best body checkers in the league. 3. Size. 4. Leadership. 5. Potential power-forward scoring ability. You cannot teach work ethic, size and leadership. You either have these things, or you do not. Add to the fact he's standup for his teammates, a great body checker (see my Avatar :)) and well liked by those who play with him from what other parents and players have told me. Then you have a guy I can't help but root for and hope him the greatest of success. His skating is actually decent, which is why he can get into position to make hits. As I said in the rookie camp review, he's much better in game situations than he is in drills. I think McCormick still has a lot of developement to go through with his skating perhaps and his play making. I felt he was a year or two away from the NHL but if he can be solid defensively then that gives the Avalanche an excuse to give him 4th line minutes. The question is, do you take a promising rookie and only give him 5 to 7 minutes a game on a fourth line? Or do you put him in the AHL for a season and let him get 15-20? I'd like to see him in the NHL, but I think it would be better in the long run if he played more minutes with Hershey so he can possibly develope into a 3rd line power-forward.

avfan#21 09-29-2003 02:03 PM

Willsie sucks, always has, I dunno why other than needing a top sixer in the AHL the Avs seem to have a soft spot for him. Hopefully he'll be put on the unprotected list to give him a shot at another club that could use him. Maybe Atlanta or something. When I see Willsie I can't help but think of the Avs other "gems" like Matte and Aubin.

Enoch 09-29-2003 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurupt
So you think McCormick plays on a line with Battaglia and Nikolishin ? I think that would be good or maybe Svatos ? :dunno:

i'd like to see svatos and mccormick on that line, i just have flashbacks of Hejduk and Drury excelling on the third line...Also, I jsut htink HInote is a fourth line energy player. I love him to death, but he can't SHOOT if his life depended on it, and I view the third line as a line that can grind and have the potential to score which Niko and Bates both can do.

Foppa 09-29-2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avfan#21
Willsie sucks, always has, I dunno why other than needing a top sixer in the AHL the Avs seem to have a soft spot for him. Hopefully he'll be put on the unprotected list to give him a shot at another club that could use him. Maybe Atlanta or something. When I see Willsie I can't help but think of the Avs other "gems" like Matte and Aubin.

Two words: Jozef Marha

Marha actually had some talent though...I really thought in my heart of hearts that he was going to be a star. I remember one game he got called up for in particular...absolutely labeled a lazer for a goal. I thought he was going to become the player that Milan Hejduk became...Boy, was I ever wrong.

Those were some interesting days though, when guys like Matte, Marha, Larsen, Willsie, Nieminen, Dan Smith, and Berry were some of our stud prospects. And Milan Hejduk was a little known-European who I believe was even exposed to Nashville in the expansion draft the year the Preds came into the league. Makes you wonder if Sergei Shemetov and not Jonas Johansson or Marek Svatos is our next star to be :rolly:

Enoch 09-29-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foppa
Two words: Jozef Marha

Marha actually had some talent though...I really thought in my heart of hearts that he was going to be a star. I remember one game he got called up for in particular...absolutely labeled a lazer for a goal. I thought he was going to become the player that Milan Hejduk became...Boy, was I ever wrong.

Those were some interesting days though, when guys like Matte, Marha, Larsen, Willsie, Nieminen, Dan Smith, and Berry were some of our stud prospects. And Milan Hejduk was a little known-European who I believe was even exposed to Nashville in the expansion draft the year the Preds came into the league. Makes you wonder if Sergei Shemetov and not Jonas Johansson or Marek Svatos is our next star to be :rolly:

svatos was selected 227th (2001) in the draft, so I would label him as one of the biggest surprises we have if he succeeds....same for Liles who was 159 (2000) and McCormick at 144 (2001)

Enoch 09-29-2003 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I especially like his comments regarding Avery in this article http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...306306,00.html

This is a great article. Sounds like this year our team is going to mesh very well, and has both toughness and skill! Go Avs :yo:

AvsGuy 09-29-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurupt
McCormick can play both center and right wing ?

Tanguay Forsberg Hejduk
Kariya Sakic Selanne
Battaglia Nikolishin Svatos
Worrell McCormick Hinote

:dunno: Hahl the odd dude out ?

boy, if Riku Hahl doesn't make the team, our forward depth is much better than everyone seems to think it is...

Yayo 09-29-2003 02:58 PM

Hahl would be better suited than McCormick for the fourth line, IMO, so I would let McCormick spend some time in Hershey rather than having him playing enforcer-like minutes.

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
Battaglia - Nikolishin - Svatos
Worrell - Hahl - Hinote

Scratches: Aubin, Cummins (McAllister)

Blake - Morris
Foote - Liles
Skoula - Skrastins

Scratched: McAllister

Aebischer
Sauve

Enoch 09-29-2003 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man
Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
Battaglia - Nikolishin - Svatos
Worrell - Hahl - Hinote

This is what I would go with...

Bender 09-29-2003 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avfan#21

I've stated numerous times that I think Willsie is a career-minor leaguer. Of course, it's probably a lot harder to make the Avs then say the Atlanta Thrashers. Willsie was exposed last year and there were no takers....expect him to be exposed again this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Hartley asked Don Waddell to pick him up.

It would be good for him to get another shot but I still think he'll end up in the AHL no matter what team picks him up.

Jori 09-30-2003 03:07 PM

I'm looking over the Hershey Bears training camp roster and I noticed that Liles was listed while Svatos and McCormick's names were absent. Coincidence or is the Avs coaching staff merely rewarding Liles by keeping him up for one more game before sending him down?

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...ers/index.html

I'm guessing the Avs would rotate five defensemen since McAllister and Smith wouldn't get much ice time.

Goulet17 09-30-2003 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
I'm looking over the Hershey Bears training camp roster and I noticed that Liles was listed while Svatos and McCormick's names were absent. Coincidence or is the Avs coaching staff merely rewarding Liles by keeping him up for one more game before sending him down?

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...ers/index.html

I'm guessing the Avs would rotate five defensemen since McAllister and Smith wouldn't get much ice time.

If that is the case, it is extremely stupid IMO. I haven't seen Liles play, but from what I've heard he has been very impressive this camp. If the Avs are planning on going with either McAllister or Smith, it will hurt the team over the course of the season. Niether McAllister or Smith can play more than a handful of shifts per game, so that means more minutes for d-men like Blake and Foote, and I for one would like to lessen their load defensively. Liles (from what I've heard) appears to be a player that can play 15 minutes a game as a 6th defensemen.

I just hope the Bears training camp listing is a mistake. Otherwise, what has Granato been doing this entire preseason playing Smith or McAllister at forward? Either player still would qualify as a project at this point, and they would both warrant as much ice time on defense as possible to develop their skills. Instead, Liles has received the bulk of the preseason minutes in place of either player.

The beat writer for the York Daily News had an article about a week ago in which he mentioned the possible defensive depth of the Bears this season. He stated that the Bears depth may even be more improved with the addition of possible players like Slovak and Viitanen from the Avs camp, but he gave zero mention to Liles possibly being in Hershey this season. Plus the articles out of the DenverPost and Rocky Mountain News have indicated that Liles has stood out among the rookie prospects when discussing new faces that might make the team.

It would be difficult for me to comprehend how Liles could start out the season in Hershey when McAllister and Smith have shown zero ability to play at the NHL level. If that is the decision Granato makes, he is sending the clear message that size matters more than ability.

Plus if the Avs are keeping Svatos and McCormick, wouldn't that mean that Aubin should be in Hershey? Either that or Cummins is also gone. I just think the listing for the Bears site has to be a mistake.

I think it would be a mistake to keep Svatos and/or McCormick up with the Avs when half the time they would be healthy scratches and/or playing 8-10 minutes a game or less on the third or fourth lines.

I just have a hard time imagining that the Avs have given Liles such a prominent preseason role on defense to turn around and send him down to Hershey. Shouldn't they have used McAllister or Smith a little more on defense so that they can get the extra playing time?

If this is the decision that is ultimately made (sending Liles down) I will reach the decision that the Avs biggest weakness this season isn't between the pipes but rather behind the bench.

Enough of my rant of the day.......

Jori 09-30-2003 03:44 PM

Perhaps the coaching staff is giving more minutes to Liles to see how he responds. They have seen Smith and McAllister enough to know what they can do. The Bears fans on a message board I frequent seem convinced Liles will start the season in Hershey. I'm in agreement with you. DJ Smith has no business being on a NHL roster. You have to think he has naked photos of the coaching staff if he makes the team.

Enoch 09-30-2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
You have to think he has naked photos of the coaching staff if he makes the team.

:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

I'm in complete agreement.

Hemsky4PM 10-02-2003 12:49 PM

What happened to Marek Svatos last season. He only played 30 games with Hershey. Was he hurt? Loaned to another team?

Ensane 10-02-2003 01:12 PM

If it is indeed that Liles is sent down, I've gotta believe that it's only a temporary move. No real logic behind it, except possibly the coaching staff wants to see how Liles reponds with a little bit less "desperation" and with the possiblility of getting 1st pairing minutes to go with definite PP time and maybe some PK time. If the Avs had him, he'd without a doubt be a 3rd pairing D with maybe some PP time.

However, if Liles remains in Hershey too long, I'll agree with Goulet--something's wrong behind our bench.

Laperriere22* 10-02-2003 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
What happened to Marek Svatos last season. He only played 30 games with Hershey. Was he hurt?

Yes, he was.