HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Given your skillset.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1536139)

27jmr2008 11-11-2013 10:20 AM

Given your skillset..

If given the opportunity to play in the NHL for 1 game while playing first line minutes could you be impactful/ or at least be "noticed" in a game?

JoeCool16 11-11-2013 10:23 AM

Haha I would definitely be noticed, for all the wrong reasons. You could put me with Crosby as centre and Ovechkin as left wing and I still doubt I'd get more than 5 pts over the course of a season.

I've played with guys who are average Junior A players, and they are miles better than me and would look terrible in the NHL, beyond terrible. So I can't even imagine what I'd look like :D

Terry Yake 11-11-2013 11:04 AM

yeah i'd be noticed for being absolutely terrible

and probably 50x slower. just watch a beer league game and compare it to the speed of the NHL and there's your answer

Chip Chipperson 11-11-2013 11:07 AM

I'm the worst player on my beer league team.

Given the opportunity to play in the NHL i would immediately try and throw haymakers at the opponents best player, connect with 0 punches, fall on my ass and proceed to get laughed off the ice. It would be great.

Slats432 11-11-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27jmr2008 (Post 74202761)
If given the opportunity to play in the NHL for 1 game while playing first line minutes could you be impactful/ or at least be "noticed" in a game?

I can skate well enough to get up and down the ice....I honestly believe there is a 1-3% chance I could get a point....or severely concussed.

TieClark 11-11-2013 11:56 AM

The biggest thing isn't even the skill set but the mind. The game is so fast I think every single person on this board unless we have current NHL players here would be overwhelmed with what was happening in front of them. Even if you're an ex pro player or junior player or whatever the case may be.

05 11-11-2013 12:53 PM

I think I'd be noticed in a semi positive way. I'm not a bad skater and my hands aren't bad either. My passing is solid. My problem would be stressing it out and maybe(probably) whiffing on a shot, one timer, pass reception. Basically my timing would probably suck because I wouldn't be super comfortable.

Ozz 11-11-2013 12:55 PM

I can hang w/D1 and Pro Juniors but I'd be a clown out there with real pros for sure. I'd love to try it though! The better the competition gets, the more of a useful complimentary player I become as opposed to a superstar shining above all others. If they slow the game down a lot I might be OK, otherwise I'll never be able to get/stay open or keep the puck for 2 seconds :laugh:

Thesensation19 11-11-2013 01:10 PM

Personally I think with some time, better conditioning program (not that mine is bad, mines pretty good now and I would only like to do more with it, and I would need a lot of on-ice time that my skills could give me some quality time at the NHL level.

As far as skills are concerned. There is no way my skills are good enough to be NHL caliber. I am in no way the fastest skater, I am in no way the best stick handler or have a hard shot. Im big, but not that big Im 6'1 and 185lbs lean (growing though, with Crossfit lol). What would get me by is my conditioning, my desire to defend, my face-offs, my intelligence in the game of hockey. You would call these intangibles. And they have proved to be a great value to me at every level I have ever played or played against which include Varsity Hockey, Junior hockey, College players, semi pro players and even guys who played in the NHL at one part of their life.

If you want to hear some stories, I have time to share below...

Junior Hockey-
I had hardly any real experience as a Varsity hockey player evn though I have been on the team for two years as a Fresh and a Soph. Basically, only 1 kid of 7 played before Junior year more than 5 minutes a game, if that. And I was normally a forward but asked to play Defense. Dumb haha. We all have that one coaching staff...

Well I tried out for Travel the year before and I failed in making the team. I was the youngest by a year and I only had In-house experience. Ive played for 12 years of hockey but in house, is inhouse. Some good guys came out of that league but still...

Well my Junior B team with that experience I made the first cut. I was shocked as I felt tired, lost and confused. haha. Im sure it was cuz of my size and decent skating. The 2nd day I felt better.

basically this is my point for most of the stories. I adapt quickly at hockey speeds. Not saying I adapt at everything easily, but hockey I do because of strong hockey IQ and athleticism.

2nd day I felt much better. Better positioning and stronger play. Made that cut too. Shocked again. Now the bad news is that the 3rd day I got cut on the final day. I was proud though because everyday of playing with these kids I got better and better and better. Stronger, smarter, and quicker. Quickness is huge. Not just skating but decision making.

College-
After 4 years of Varsity hockey, 2 real good years (my last year I was actually top 20 in points and top 12 in goals). NY varsity hockey is not to shabby either. Some great players went on to play top Junior and top college as well as other ventures in hockey. Its not junior level but its solid.

Well, after a year away from the game at a real competitive level (only playing Division C-B mens league) I made a Division 3 club hockey team. They were national champs and evn beat up on some D3 hockey teams non club. Played with them on one day of try outs and made it. Took me some time to adapt but I did. Everyone on the team except me had some junior experience.

Sadly, just like my Junior C team (another team I tried out for in my senior year of HS) I could not afford College hockey club. I had to stop playing before I barely started. Ughhh.

Now as a 23 year old, I still play mens league. I play a few times a week and I stay very well conditioned as my hobby is nutrition and strength and conditioning. I only played Division B and C and D hockey in these midnight leagues as the Division A teams are only like 3-4 teams and there never looking for players.

Well, finally got a chance to play for a Division A team. Stoked.
My first few shifts I played D because we were needed.

Let me explain first that there are only 4 teams in this Division A and it was teh first round of the playoffs. My team, though very strong team, were #4 in the rankings and thus we played the #1 team. As a 6'1 kid, i was one of the tallest on my team (maybe #3) and compared to the opposing team I was just another face in the crowd.

This #1 team were made up of all top level players as I was told. The whole team was great and many played top level college and some even the AHL. I heard some even got close or had a brief history in the NHL. So this team was nasty.

My first few shifts were solid. I tried to dump the puck around the boards for a clear and it was grabbed and passed to the front of the net and we gave up our first goal. I felt terrible and out of place. I was screaming in my head. 1-0 which stinks cuz we only had 10 guys at the time and then we were keeping competitive for the first 8 minutes and than tht ****.

Few more shifts at D, and by the time I was pushed to forward at the last 2 minutes, we had already been down 3-0. None of those I was even on the ice for.

I got pushed up to forward and played my game. Asked for center as I like two things about center. Playing down low in our zone and faceoffs. Once I got moved up... we finally scored. Not my line, but we went into the 2nd 3-1.

The game ended 11-1 hahahahahaha
Incredible. Some bad breaks and some great play by them

But what I was proud of myself and my line mates was that we kept at it and we never gave up one goal. Not one. Besides the one i gave up in the first 8 minutes as a defender.

11 goals, and I was a -1.

I actually won a few faceoffs. I would say def more than 50% and some of these centers were really going at it.

I would like to say they didnt care, but that is a lie. They played our bodies, they got gritty and we fought back. I am sure there entire team was not going 110% but I wont say none of them were trying.

Besides the faceoffs, we did almost give up 2-3 goals but we also almost scored 4 of our own. I even had a shot on goal which I should have scored.

It all came down to comfort. It took me a half a game to get into the new level of speed and skill. I could have made a few better passes out of the zone, for some reason I remember 2-3 break outs that could have led to odd man advantges but my passes for some reason went from flat to a puck wheel. It was pretty bad ice lol but ill blame my comfort level.

If i was more comfort I would have probably scored on that goalie too.

So basically, long story short on the BS i am telling you.
I am pretty athletic, i am solid hockey player and have solid skills. My skills alone wont land me anything in the NHL but if I could devote more time to on-ice and off-ice conditioning and training I always thought I could have a shot at the NHL.

Its just about me getting use to the speed.
I just did not have the best path and when i was young I was not dedicated enough.
I cant say I am not stopping my dreams. I love acting like I have a shot at the NHL. I still train when i can when im not working full time.

I always thought maybe I could work my skills up and one year go play for the 2nd team in Medvescak (Croatia team that plays in the KHL). Then Ill try to make the 1st team that played in the Austria league at the time. Become a local hero (fantasizing lol) play for the national team. Help the team make its way into the KHL...

Do some good over in the KHL. And maybe get one shot at an NHL or AHL team.

Ill probably still be dreaming that when I am 30 lol.
Its fun even if it wont come true. Its one of the many reasons why I hit the gym everyday.

Thesensation19 11-11-2013 01:15 PM

I also played man to man with this dude who was an AHL player for a few years and had a try out with an NHL team. His brother was the same. But it was open hockey. I skated well against him. Keeping him at bay. He had a sick wrist shot.

I know I cant just go out there and do it. Especially the NHL. Especially. Like others have said, which is awesome that there so many others like it... I can hold my own against competitive top players.

As I adapt to the better speed and skill level... I would eventually be able to play quality minutes in the NHL i believe. But no way in hell can I just go out now and have a quality shift.

Its my intangibles.
Simple as that. I consider myself like a Brian Boyle type of player.

Slim Cognito* 11-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 74209669)
Personally I think with some time, better conditioning program (not that mine is bad, mines pretty good now and I would only like to do more with it, and I would need a lot of on-ice time that my skills could give me some quality time at the NHL level.

As far as skills are concerned. There is no way my skills are good enough to be NHL caliber. I am in no way the fastest skater, I am in no way the best stick handler or have a hard shot. Im big, but not that big Im 6'1 and 185lbs lean (growing though, with Crossfit lol). What would get me by is my conditioning, my desire to defend, my face-offs, my intelligence in the game of hockey. You would call these intangibles. And they have proved to be a great value to me at every level I have ever played or played against which include Varsity Hockey, Junior hockey, College players, semi pro players and even guys who played in the NHL at one part of their life.

If you want to hear some stories, I have time to share below...

Junior Hockey-
I had hardly any real experience as a Varsity hockey player evn though I have been on the team for two years as a Fresh and a Soph. Basically, only 1 kid of 7 played before Junior year more than 5 minutes a game, if that. And I was normally a forward but asked to play Defense. Dumb haha. We all have that one coaching staff...

Well I tried out for Travel the year before and I failed in making the team. I was the youngest by a year and I only had In-house experience. Ive played for 12 years of hockey but in house, is inhouse. Some good guys came out of that league but still...

Well my Junior B team with that experience I made the first cut. I was shocked as I felt tired, lost and confused. haha. Im sure it was cuz of my size and decent skating. The 2nd day I felt better.

basically this is my point for most of the stories. I adapt quickly at hockey speeds. Not saying I adapt at everything easily, but hockey I do because of strong hockey IQ and athleticism.

2nd day I felt much better. Better positioning and stronger play. Made that cut too. Shocked again. Now the bad news is that the 3rd day I got cut on the final day. I was proud though because everyday of playing with these kids I got better and better and better. Stronger, smarter, and quicker. Quickness is huge. Not just skating but decision making.

College-
After 4 years of Varsity hockey, 2 real good years (my last year I was actually top 20 in points and top 12 in goals). NY varsity hockey is not to shabby either. Some great players went on to play top Junior and top college as well as other ventures in hockey. Its not junior level but its solid.

Well, after a year away from the game at a real competitive level (only playing Division C-B mens league) I made a Division 3 club hockey team. They were national champs and evn beat up on some D3 hockey teams non club. Played with them on one day of try outs and made it. Took me some time to adapt but I did. Everyone on the team except me had some junior experience.

Sadly, just like my Junior C team (another team I tried out for in my senior year of HS) I could not afford College hockey club. I had to stop playing before I barely started. Ughhh.

Now as a 23 year old, I still play mens league. I play a few times a week and I stay very well conditioned as my hobby is nutrition and strength and conditioning. I only played Division B and C and D hockey in these midnight leagues as the Division A teams are only like 3-4 teams and there never looking for players.

Well, finally got a chance to play for a Division A team. Stoked.
My first few shifts I played D because we were needed.

Let me explain first that there are only 4 teams in this Division A and it was teh first round of the playoffs. My team, though very strong team, were #4 in the rankings and thus we played the #1 team. As a 6'1 kid, i was one of the tallest on my team (maybe #3) and compared to the opposing team I was just another face in the crowd.

This #1 team were made up of all top level players as I was told. The whole team was great and many played top level college and some even the AHL. I heard some even got close or had a brief history in the NHL. So this team was nasty.

My first few shifts were solid. I tried to dump the puck around the boards for a clear and it was grabbed and passed to the front of the net and we gave up our first goal. I felt terrible and out of place. I was screaming in my head. 1-0 which stinks cuz we only had 10 guys at the time and then we were keeping competitive for the first 8 minutes and than tht ****.

Few more shifts at D, and by the time I was pushed to forward at the last 2 minutes, we had already been down 3-0. None of those I was even on the ice for.

I got pushed up to forward and played my game. Asked for center as I like two things about center. Playing down low in our zone and faceoffs. Once I got moved up... we finally scored. Not my line, but we went into the 2nd 3-1.

The game ended 11-1 hahahahahaha
Incredible. Some bad breaks and some great play by them

But what I was proud of myself and my line mates was that we kept at it and we never gave up one goal. Not one. Besides the one i gave up in the first 8 minutes as a defender.

11 goals, and I was a -1.

I actually won a few faceoffs. I would say def more than 50% and some of these centers were really going at it.

I would like to say they didnt care, but that is a lie. They played our bodies, they got gritty and we fought back. I am sure there entire team was not going 110% but I wont say none of them were trying.

Besides the faceoffs, we did almost give up 2-3 goals but we also almost scored 4 of our own. I even had a shot on goal which I should have scored.

It all came down to comfort. It took me a half a game to get into the new level of speed and skill. I could have made a few better passes out of the zone, for some reason I remember 2-3 break outs that could have led to odd man advantges but my passes for some reason went from flat to a puck wheel. It was pretty bad ice lol but ill blame my comfort level.

If i was more comfort I would have probably scored on that goalie too.

So basically, long story short on the BS i am telling you.
I am pretty athletic, i am solid hockey player and have solid skills. My skills alone wont land me anything in the NHL but if I could devote more time to on-ice and off-ice conditioning and training I always thought I could have a shot at the NHL.

Its just about me getting use to the speed.
I just did not have the best path and when i was young I was not dedicated enough.
I cant say I am not stopping my dreams. I love acting like I have a shot at the NHL. I still train when i can when im not working full time.

I always thought maybe I could work my skills up and one year go play for the 2nd team in Medvescak (Croatia team that plays in the KHL). Then Ill try to make the 1st team that played in the Austria league at the time. Become a local hero (fantasizing lol) play for the national team. Help the team make its way into the KHL...

Do some good over in the KHL. And maybe get one shot at an NHL or AHL team.

Ill probably still be dreaming that when I am 30 lol.
Its fun even if it wont come true. Its one of the many reasons why I hit the gym everyday.

Wow... thanks for sharing this! It seems like you've really had an incredible journey so far, and it's just beginning! Best of luck to you. Remember, the game is 95-98% mental. Never give up on your dreams. :)

McDugan 11-11-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Non Move (Post 74210459)
You played junior C.

Awesome third post!

Anywaaaayyyy, No. Just no. I'd probably end up just doing back-and-forths from blue line to blue line with the play whizzing past me in either direction. I don't think I could make a positive impact playing "first line minutes" in B-level beer league.

TieClark 11-11-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDugan (Post 74213345)
Awesome third post!

Anywaaaayyyy, No. Just no. I'd probably end up just doing back-and-forths from blue line to blue line with the play whizzing past me in either direction. I don't think I could make a positive impact playing "first line minutes" in B-level beer league.

He's not wrong... if you think you can play in the NHL when the highest you've ever played is junior C, you're completely delusional.

And I don't mean it as an insult, but simply think of how many players do train every day and put in the work and can't crack the NHL as a 4th liner never mind playing quality minutes.

Patmac40 11-11-2013 04:03 PM

I have good enough hands, shot, and passing ability to play high-level junior, my feet never really caught up with the rest of my skills. The biggest thing would be how off my timing would be. If we could sustain pressure for long enough I'd probably be able to set myself up well enough to get a chance or try to set someone up. Getting to the offensive zone and defensive play would be an adventure.

McDugan 11-11-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TieClark (Post 74218003)
if you think you can play in the NHL when the highest you've ever played is junior C, you're completely delusional.

The topic isn't about "cracking" the NHL. It's about a hypothetical "never-gonna-happen" situation. The whole thing is a delusion, a diversion, whatever. So what does that say about the guy who takes it so seriously, he has to $#@! on another poster without contributing anything so useful as his own actual answer to the topic?

I refer you to the end of the post where Sensation19 said, "Ill probably still be dreaming that when I am 30 lol. Its fun even if it wont come true."

Canadiens1958 11-11-2013 04:26 PM

Fantasy

Everyone is entitled to minor harmless fantasies. Enjoy them.

No point or benefit to arguing about or comparing fantasies.

Let's keep this thread lite.

Ozz 11-11-2013 04:49 PM

Who knows what unrefined talents had been left out in the world when different, "normal" career paths were taken. Or who's to say that some average Joe couldn't have cracked a pro team in a smaller country and pulled a Tim Thomas later in life? Chances are slim, sure, but you never know.

Jarick 11-12-2013 02:05 PM

No, not at all. I am nowhere near a good enough skater and would be behind the play terribly. If I got enough shots on net I might be able to score one, but let's be honest, I'm 5'7 and 195 pounds and not nearly low enough BF so I would get killed.

jazzykat 11-12-2013 03:14 PM

I would be a pylon.

ss53mech 11-12-2013 03:38 PM

Mobility like Hal Gill, hands like Craig Adams, size like ***** and the hockey sense of of a broken stick would be overflowing complements if compared to my "game" so it's a resounding no from me. I only started playing around a year ago and I still fall down all the time when there is nobody even near me so I don't even rate to dream that I could "make it" someday.

To those who might be able to, chase that dream friend!

SCBruCrew4 11-12-2013 04:07 PM

You all realize that even the biggest goon and non skilled guy out there IE: John Scott...could skate circles around us without even breaking a sweat right lol. I mean they are pro's for a reason.

I'm just glad most of us are honest and saying there's zero shot of us even making a dent lol. To the ones who say they'd do "ok" out there, why aren't you already in the league?

BIitz 11-12-2013 04:30 PM

I imagine I'd be hit so hard in my first shift they'd need two stretchers to carry me off. So I guess I'd be remembered.

CarpeNoctem 11-12-2013 07:09 PM

If you have a good hockey IQ and are able to learn technique fast, there are some coaches at the AHL/NHL level who can correct a lot of deficiencies. Not enough to make you good at the NHL level but maybe enough so you wouldn't be the worst of all time.

JoeCool16 11-12-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem (Post 74274931)
If you have a good hockey IQ and are able to learn technique fast, there are some coaches at the AHL/NHL level who can correct a lot of deficiencies. Not enough to make you good at the NHL level but maybe enough so you wouldn't be the worst of all time.

Haha that reminds me of that episode of Futurama where it's Leela's dream to not be the worst baseball (Blurnsball?) player of all time. That'd be kind of fun, actually. An entire season with first-line minutes, all the trainers/nutritionists/coaching etc you request and the goal of NOT being the worst NHL player of all time by the end of it.

I'm pretty sure I'd still be the worst ;)

Dustin Peener 11-12-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 (Post 74263421)
You all realize that even the biggest goon and non skilled guy out there IE: John Scott...could skate circles around us without even breaking a sweat right lol. I mean they are pro's for a reason.

I'm just glad most of us are honest and saying there's zero shot of us even making a dent lol. To the ones who say they'd do "ok" out there, why aren't you already in the league?

Pretty much, even Paul Bissonnette was a very good player at ECHL level and he dominated the British EIHL during the lockout