HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Signs Point to Kaspar and Holik Being Bought out, Montoya Staying at Michigan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153865)

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 10:43 AM

Signs Point to Kaspar and Holik Being Bought out, Montoya Staying at Michigan

Quote:

Whatever the motivation, Slap Shots has learned the Rangers have not paid the players(Holik and Kasparaitis) the July 1 signing bonuses they were due under terms of the contracts they signed as free agents in 2002. The NHLPA has filed a grievance with the NHL on behalf of each player.
Quote:

An NHL source has told Slap Shots the league did not advise the Rangers to withhold this year's payments.
Quote:

If the Rangers do not intend to buy out Holik and Kasparaitis, well, withholding their bonus payments is sure a strange way to begin a partnership with the players.

Quote:

Here we go again. A year ago, Al Montoya, the Michigan goaltender the Rangers selected sixth overall in the 2004 Entry Draft, decided to return to school for his junior season when the club wouldn't pay him the Entry Level Cap and bonus package historically commensurate with his selection position.

Now, sources tell Slap Shots, the very same scenario is developing, and that Montoya is more likely than not to return to the Wolverines for his senior season if the reluctant nickel-and-diming Sather does not offer the maximum bonus package, plus what's now a cap of $984,200 (with an annual signing bonus of $328,067) for the Entry Draft class of '04.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/50679.htm

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-24-2005 10:58 AM

How happy is Larry Brooks that he doesn't have to write on baseball anymore.

BwayBshirt 07-24-2005 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

lol 4 of the most annoying words to read every sunday:

"Slap Shots has learned"...

Kubera55 07-24-2005 11:18 AM

Eh, under a Cap it's not so foolish to play hard-ball with your prospects. Those $1 million per deals add up if you have enough prospects, and the Rangers don't want to leave $4-6 million in the AHL of their cap if they can avoid it.

klingsor 07-24-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera55
Eh, under a Cap it's not so foolish to play hard-ball with your prospects. Those $1 million per deals add up if you have enough prospects, and the Rangers don't want to leave $4-6 million in the AHL of their cap if they can avoid it.

I don't believe the hardballing with Montoya
has anything to do with the cap. Old habits die hard.

Yeah, I'm sure happy he played hardball with Zidlicky, too.

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
I don't believe the hardballing with Montoya
has anything to do with the cap. Old habits die hard.

Yeah, I'm sure happy he played hardball with Zidlicky, too.

Same with R.J Umberger, 5 points shy of the leading rookie scorer(70 points) in the AHL. Nice to have had a good center in our system.

Anthony Mauro 07-24-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Same with R.J Umberger, 5 points shy of the leading rookie scorer(70 points) in the AHL. Nice to have had a good center in our system.

He was a jerk though. Not the kind of guy we needed to have in our org. at that time.

pld459666 07-24-2005 01:22 PM

conversely

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

How happy is Baseball lol

GraveyTrain09 07-24-2005 01:44 PM

I would rather Montoya go back to Michigan for another year. From what Ive heard we are just using this year to see how Labarbera adn Lundqvist can handle everything. Id rather have one of the two at hartford and the other in ny than having a goalie sit out a game to make room. Let Montoya get his confidence back in a place he has, for the most part, produced well at.

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
He was a jerk though. Not the kind of guy we needed to have in our org. at that time.

People called him a jerk because he wanted the max, by looking at his AHL #'s he had every right to ask for it. Players demand the max all the time, just some teams make a big deal over it (van), especially since it happened in Canada you know the media there is going to rip him apart.

A one year deal at the max wouldn't have hurt the organization at all, he was a 1st round pick and our organization needs a good 2nd line center (yes we have Immonen but he's still a ?? how he will play in NA)

GraveyTrain09 07-24-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

People called him a jerk because he wanted the max, by looking at his AHL #'s he had every right to ask for it. Players demand the max all the time, just some teams make a big deal over it (van), especially since it happened in Canada you know the media there is going to rip him apart.

A one year deal at the max wouldn't have hurt the organization at all, he was a 1st round pick and our organization needs a good 2nd line center (yes we have Immonen but he's still a ?? how he will play in NA)

I agree, it was stupid to let this guy go....but dont forget we werent the first who couldnt get a contract with this kid. Plus, it wasnt as if we didnt get anything for him, you never know what our second rounders could turn out to be.....our one "gem," tyutin, was a second rounder

Levitate 07-24-2005 02:31 PM

not a big deal with montoya...another year in michigan won't hurt him and we're not desperate to get him up here.

and he'll get signed next year or whenever, i'm not worried about that...

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate
not a big deal with montoya...another year in michigan won't hurt him and we're not desperate to get him up here.

and he'll get signed next year or whenever, i'm not worried about that...

The only thing it will hurt is his development. Hes already said he was bored or couldnt mentally prepare as well this season. (I forgot what he exactly said but it was something like that). At first i was very against him getting signed..but if its going to hurt him..and have no real chance of improving him, then we should sign him..even if it means sending him to Charlotte.

GraveyTrain09 07-24-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

The only thing it will hurt is his development. Hes already said he was bored or couldnt mentally prepare as well this season. (I forgot what he exactly said but it was something like that). At first i was very against him getting signed..but if its going to hurt him..and have no real chance of improving him, then we should sign him..even if it means sending him to Charlotte.

The reason Montoya said he was mentally unprepared for the season was because of the attention given to him after being drafted by NY, not because he was going back to Michigan. Id rather him play in NCAA where he will face his peers, some of whome will go to the NHL, instead of playing in charlotte where theres maybe 1 person on every 2 teams that are going to have a shot at making the NHL. Plus the goaltending coach at Michigan was given high praise not to long ago....I think Montoya will forget last year and move on with his development.

Kovy274Hart 07-24-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that. The Flyer fans I chatted with said he's not ready for primetime.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-24-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that. The Flyer fans I chatted with said he's not ready for primetime.

So? Most prospects aren't ready after one year of professional hockey. It's not like they are paying him $1 million to play in the AHL.

klingsor 07-24-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Sad to say, the Flyers' primetime is at a higher level than our primetime.

How many guys that we've been pencilling in on our roster would be playing for the Flyers?

Kovy274Hart 07-24-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
So? Most prospects aren't ready after one year of professional hockey. It's not like they are paying him $1 million to play in the AHL.

The guy had 65 points in his first pro year. More than the Devils' Parise. And still, he's not ready? That doesn't say a whole lot.

In any event, why be upset about it? We wound up with a 2nd round pick. I forget who it was.

Kovy274Hart 07-24-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Sad to say, the Flyers' primetime is at a higher level than our primetime.

How many guys that we've been pencilling in on our roster would be playing for the Flyers?

True but they've already bought out two vets to free up cap space for younger players. And Carter and Richards should be definites.

klingsor 07-24-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

True but they've already bought out two vets to free up cap space for younger players. And Carter and Richards should be definites.

I haven't even seen the guy play except for a game against Hartford last year.

All I can go by is his production as an AHL rookie.

It's more impressive than Lundmark's or Moore's production.

Clark had no trouble with the guy's character.

Sather had no trouble with Tibbetts' character.

Kovy274Hart 07-24-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

I haven't even seen the guy play except for a game against Hartford last year.

All I can go by is his production as an AHL rookie.

It's more impressive than Lundmark's or Moore's production.

Clark had no trouble with the guy's character.

Sather had no trouble with Tibbetts' character.

Lundmark dominated the AHL back in '02. He has NHL talent. But it's just harnessing it. He needs to be on one of the top two lines. This is make-or-break for him.

Moore is a solid overall player.

Anthony Mauro 07-24-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

That wasn't the case at all. He wasn't a jerk for wanting what he could get. It was written at the time of the Rangers letting him go, that he was not well liked in the HFD lockerroom and that he was arrogant/had a terrible personality. Rangers saw something in him that turned them off, he wasn't the best person to have in a rebuild with other younger players. I certainly don't want my team to have a core of guys and have one guy who is supposed to be a part of it disrupting it.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-24-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

The guy had 65 points in his first pro year. More than the Devils' Parise. And still, he's not ready? That doesn't say a whole lot.

In any event, why be upset about it? We wound up with a 2nd round pick. I forget who it was.

I didn't see him during the season and from your post, it appears you didn't either. So, we are going on the word of some Philly fans, who are rating him based on the team they have--one that has many more established players, including several younger players who have already earned their roster spot.

Overall, I think that whatever the Philly fans said about him means absolutely nothing.

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
That wasn't the case at all. He wasn't a jerk for wanting what he could get. It was written at the time of the Rangers letting him go, that he was not well liked in the HFD lockerroom and that he was arrogant/had a terrible personality. Rangers saw something in him that turned them off, he wasn't the best person to have in a rebuild with other younger players. I certainly don't want my team to have a core of guys and have one guy who is supposed to be a part of it disrupting it.

When did he go in the locker room? He never he played a game...for all we know the Pack didnt like him because he was going to mess up the chemistry they had that late in the season. I dont recall anyone coming out and saying we dont like RJ because of the walk through he had of our locker room.

FLYLine24 07-24-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I didn't see him during the season and from your post, it appears you didn't either. So, we are going on the word of some Philly fans, who are rating him based on the team they have--one that has many more established players, including several younger players who have already earned their roster spot.

Overall, I think that whatever the Philly fans said about him means absolutely nothing.

Then who are we going to go by? They criticize there prospects and much as they praise them like any team fan does...I doubt they are all just lying about his play to make them feel special.