HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Equipment: Slideboard Training (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1539131)

Jarick 11-15-2013 11:12 AM

Slideboard Training

Anyone do slideboard training or built one?

Thinking about putting a little something together like this. Seems simple enough with 2x4's, a sheet of Melamine, and some foam.

pelts35.com 11-15-2013 11:54 AM

I built a slideboard for under $60.

I used one sheet of hardboard http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...2780/202404545 and a 1 x 4 x 8 board for the ends (in retrospect I should have used a 2 x 4 x 8 instead). When the board looses its slickness a little spray of lemon pledge does the job.

Lonny Bohonos 11-15-2013 12:41 PM

Nice thread. I just bought a 360 Degree Sports 6' slide board when I was back home for a visit.

Its cheap materials so I dont know how it will standup over time but Ive used it a couple of times and I really like the slideboard training. Great for working those lateral movement muscles.

Jarick 11-15-2013 01:11 PM

I was going to see about getting a 2' x 8' board of 3/4" Melamine and then a 2x4 cut into 2' lengths, then foam. I have wood screws at home. So that would be about $30 or so. Socks over running shoes and some lemon Pledge that I already have.

I'm fairly happy with my kettlebell stuff for hamstring work, really kicks my ass, but I want something better for endurance for quads and glutes, and think this would be a good solution.

pelts35.com 11-15-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 74443951)
I was going to see about getting a 2' x 8' board of 3/4" Melamine and then a 2x4 cut into 2' lengths, then foam. I have wood screws at home. So that would be about $30 or so. Socks over running shoes and some lemon Pledge that I already have.

I'm fairly happy with my kettlebell stuff for hamstring work, really kicks my ass, but I want something better for endurance for quads and glutes, and think this would be a good solution.

What do you need the foam for?

FWIW I would recommend spending the money for slideboard boots that slide over your shoes rather than using socks.

I used to use my slideboard quite a bit, but now that I have synthetic ice I'd rather put on my skates and skate instead of using the slideboard. That said the slideboard should give you the endurance workout you are looking for.

Jarick 11-15-2013 01:37 PM

So I don't smack my foot on the stoppers on the board?

Gino 14 11-16-2013 06:11 PM

If you're wearing shoes then you shouldn't have any issue with the stops. I've always used socks over shoes but they collect crap on them and end up scratching the surface up over time.

motorace 11-17-2013 01:05 AM

why not just wear socks (no shoes)?

rinkrat22 11-17-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 74443951)

if you want to build some endurance do some KBell high rep DL's and goblet squats. in the 25-50 rep range. not that I'm for or against the slideboard, but these lifts will give you a great burn in your quads and hammies.

Jarick 11-18-2013 10:49 AM

The KB stuff really kills my hammies, for about a week actually. I'm still sore from last Wednesday's workout, which was fairly short. With any kind of squat, my lower back starts to hurt way earlier than my quads/glutes. I know my core is super weak compared to my legs, so I need to get something that's isolating the legs and glutes more and less strain on the back. I also need some kind of cardio component as well.

pelts35.com 11-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorace (Post 74543885)
why not just wear socks (no shoes)?

Shoes eliminate the need for any kind of foam on the 2x4s.