HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Time for Sather & Renny to step down.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=153959)

jdsrangers 07-24-2005 04:38 PM

Time for Sather & Renny to step down..
 
Enough already. Where is Sather when you need him most, out fishing. I can't believe that he couldn't change his Plans to take part in the rebuilding of the Rangers!
I like Renny, nice guy BUT his system is built "the trap" and with the new rules he should be given another job in the organization..not head coach!

The only person taking the bull by the horn is Maloney. He says they will be go with the young guys. First we have to sign all our picks. Sather has a thing about paying the kids. Let Maloney be in charge already!

Sather is playing hardball again with Montoya! Why? Moytoya was a top 10 pick in the draft and needs to play in Hartford to get taste of pro hockey. He pulled the same BS with Umberger last year and Umberger got the rookie max from Philly and will haunt us!

Promote Maloney and bring in Scotty Bowman! We need a frest start and it doesn't include Sather!!!

GraveyTrain09 07-24-2005 04:47 PM

I dont think anyone here likes sather adn personally id love for maloney to be given the name of general manager, but there is no reason for sather to be in NY. Many people have pointed out that hes a phone call away from NY, and even though sather is teh "GM," for the past year Maloney has been the one running the show. He and renney are the ones who truly make the decision on draft day.

I also dont think we should give up on renney just yet....hes been the one whos seen all of our prospects so he wont put someone who should be on the 2nd line on the 4th line.....think back with lundmark, hes a scorer-yet we decided to give him a job that wasnt helping him mature. Id rather let renney work with a young team he knows and play the style that he says he wants to play, fiesty adn hardworking

Tawnos 07-24-2005 04:49 PM

First of all, Bowman does not solve our problems.

Second of all, Renney's system is not the trap.

Third of all, I don't see the glaring need to bring Montoya to Hartford. Players coming out of their upper-classman years of college have a maturity that most rookies don't possess. If he decides to go back to school, that's fine with me. Jessiman is a slightly different story because he lost a year last year.

Fourth, Sather isn't going to be away for the rebuilding of the Rangers, just the first couple of days of this offseason. Maloney claims the Rangers have 25 guys to sign, Sather is going to have his hands full. Let's calm down and be a little more patient. I don't like Sather any more than the next guy, but let's call a spade a spade here.

Levitate 07-24-2005 04:52 PM

i think it'd be foolish to think the rangers hadn't planned for this and that renney and maloney knew exactly what needs to be done while sather's away and can take care of business

i think sather has done a lot more behind the scenes work since he stepped down as head coach and he's set up renney and maloney to be the "faces" of the organization.

BwayBshirt 07-24-2005 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsrangers
Enough already. Where is Sather when you need him most, out fishing. I can't believe that he couldn't change his Plans to take part in the rebuilding of the Rangers!
I like Renny, nice guy BUT his system is built "the trap" and with the new rules he should be given another job in the organization..not head coach!

The only person taking the bull by the horn is Maloney. He says they will be go with the young guys. First we have to sign all our picks. Sather has a thing about paying the kids. Let Maloney be in charge already!

Sather is playing hardball again with Montoya! Why? Moytoya was a top 10 pick in the draft and needs to play in Hartford to get taste of pro hockey. He pulled the same BS with Umberger last year and Umberger got the rookie max from Philly and will haunt us!

Promote Maloney and bring in Scotty Bowman! We need a frest start and it doesn't include Sather!!!

been reading brooks columns from the past 2 sundays eh?

and personally, lumping renney and sather together is not fair to tom. as others have said, he's not a trap coach (a point brooks was wrong on) and he's respected for his abilities to teach.

also, i would think if montoya was really pissed at sather for the negotiations between, he would have said or at least hinted at it to a media source either personally or through someone close to him ala family. i'm not blind to the fact that sather pinches pennies with rookies so yeah some hardball probably is happening. but nothing to the point that montoya is horribly fustrated with it. and if he does feel that way he's doing a hell of a job of hiding it.

dumpsathernow* 07-24-2005 07:17 PM

Umberger is an idiot. He's exactly the type of player we don't want here. He's all about money. If he ever scores 15 goals on the NHL level he will want 4 million a year.

ATLANTARANGER* 07-24-2005 07:20 PM

Ok, Larry!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsrangers
Enough already. Where is Sather when you need him most, out fishing. I can't believe that he couldn't change his Plans to take part in the rebuilding of the Rangers!
I like Renny, nice guy BUT his system is built "the trap" and with the new rules he should be given another job in the organization..not head coach!

The only person taking the bull by the horn is Maloney. He says they will be go with the young guys. First we have to sign all our picks. Sather has a thing about paying the kids. Let Maloney be in charge already!

Sather is playing hardball again with Montoya! Why? Moytoya was a top 10 pick in the draft and needs to play in Hartford to get taste of pro hockey. He pulled the same BS with Umberger last year and Umberger got the rookie max from Philly and will haunt us!

Promote Maloney and bring in Scotty Bowman! We need a frest start and it doesn't include Sather!!!

So Renney won the Memorial Cup with the trap? The Canadian National Team played the trap? Right, let's bring in someone older than Sather!''

Do you actually think that Sather and company have not been preparing? Do you not think they already had a plan in place? They are not under the gunto sign Montoya, they have another year yet. Also, Montoya had a carppy year. He should have signed last year off his good year. His fault, not the organizations.

Fish 07-24-2005 07:32 PM

I'm wondering whether with all the Tom Renney and Don Maloney we've been seeing since March of 2004 whether Sather might be stepping to the side anyway. Personally I'm not a big Don Maloney fan...great guy, but he's just a little too wishy-washy for my liking. I do prefer his draft last year to what Renney did the previous season...but to be honest I think we could use someone else there.

In terms of coaching...I'm not sure if Renney's the right guy there either. He's a technical coach, which might be useful with the Rangers building a system...but I think his strengths lie more in the player development side of the house.

At the moment I guess I don't really care...I'd love Sather to be out of the picture because I think the game has passed him by. Just not sure who I'd put in his place. Maybe Schoenfeld would have made a good coach or GM for the Rangers...

Levitate 07-24-2005 07:43 PM

i think sather is letting renney and maloney be the "face" of the organization right now, while he stays in the background and does his thing. I'd bet he's still pretty involved, but i don't think he's "getting the press" for it now

BwayBshirt 07-24-2005 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
I'm wondering whether with all the Tom Renney and Don Maloney we've been seeing since March of 2004 whether Sather might be stepping to the side anyway. Personally I'm not a big Don Maloney fan...great guy, but he's just a little too wishy-washy for my liking. I do prefer his draft last year to what Renney did the previous season...but to be honest I think we could use someone else there.

In terms of coaching...I'm not sure if Renney's the right guy there either. He's a technical coach, which might be useful with the Rangers building a system...but I think his strengths lie more in the player development side of the house.

At the moment I guess I don't really care...I'd love Sather to be out of the picture because I think the game has passed him by. Just not sure who I'd put in his place. Maybe Schoenfeld would have made a good coach or GM for the Rangers...

i think as far as schoenfeld goes, he probably wants to learn all he can regarding management before he wades into that water. his comments when he took over the duel coaching job with hartford recently seem somewhat insightful. he's not terribly interested in being a coach again and not having complete say in his personnel (hence his polite "shove it" to sather 2 seasons ago). so being in management, if he's good enough he'll be able to call the shots eventually.

Onion Boy 07-24-2005 09:54 PM

Strikes me that Sather has already pretty much given up the GM reigns and will likely stick to his role as team president. Sounds fine with me.

Flyers26 07-24-2005 11:01 PM

Comcast SportsNet ran a show called NHL Unlocked, Sunday nite, and Al Morganti made a comment, talking about the rest of the divison teams, he says" Sather should getoff the golf course and figure out how to rebuild the Rangers".
It was a really nice dig at Sather.

DarthSather99 07-25-2005 08:22 AM

Although I do not like Sather, I think Renney is a good guy to have in the organization. The thing I like about Maloney is that he is one of the guys that has talked the organization in rebuilding, that NYC fans can handle it. I am not too keen on his talent for evalutating prospects. How many great picks did he make with the Isles? even with top 10 picks. I love his enthusiasm but would prefer to lure someone from Tampa Bay's, Ottawa's, Colorado or Philadelphia's scouting department to become player personel director. Those teams seem to find players.

BwayBshirt 07-25-2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Although I do not like Sather, I think Renney is a good guy to have in the organization. The thing I like about Maloney is that he is one of the guys that has talked the organization in rebuilding, that NYC fans can handle it. I am not too keen on his talent for evalutating prospects. How many great picks did he make with the Isles? even with top 10 picks. I love his enthusiasm but would prefer to lure someone from Tampa Bay's, Ottawa's, Colorado or Philadelphia's scouting department to become player personel director. Those teams seem to find players.

well, in maloney's 3 draft years as isles gm:

1993- bertuzzi (23), mccabe (40), salo (118)
1994- b. lindros (9) (for what it's worth), lukowich (90), tarnstrom (272)
1995- redden (2), hlavac (28), orszagh (106)

that's not terribly bad...

Fish 07-25-2005 10:19 AM

What stands out is the success he had in the first round...something the Rangers haven't really had since the early 90s when they drafted Kovalev (91), Sundstrom (93) and Cloutier (94). The Rangers have to do better in the round that they're supposed to do better in...the 1st.

Levitate 07-25-2005 10:20 AM

so was last year his first real draft for the rangers? are the other ones considered Renney's drafts?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.