HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1539785)

shipwreck 11-16-2013 08:45 AM

Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill
 
Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill


Quote:

Flyers coach Craig Berube is gaining trust in winger Zac Rinaldo.

That was evident when Berube, for the first time this season, used Rinaldo on the penalty kill during a critical time in a game Wednesday.

"I'm excited about it," Rinaldo said, before playing a career-high on the penalty kill in Friday's game in Winnipeg. "The more responsibility, the better for me."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...alty_kill.html

flyerfanish 11-16-2013 09:04 AM

"I'm more useful if I don't have a different mind-set. Just skate hard and play on the PK like it's my last shift," he said.

Shouldnt he focus less on the hitting part?
Anyway, I think its about time they try him out on the pk.

flyershockey 11-16-2013 09:24 AM

Penalty killing would certainly help his career. With maturity, he's becoming a pretty valuable fourth liner.

Jtown 11-16-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 74494163)
Penalty killing would certainly help his career. With maturity, he's becoming a pretty valuable fourth liner.

you need your 4th liners to kill penalties, and if rinaldo couldn't do it he would find himself out of a job in the future.

with hall being one of the best faceoff pk guys in the league and rinaldo pkinig i am liking our 4thline.

RoDu 11-16-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 74494937)
you need your 4th liners to kill penalties, and if rinaldo couldn't do it he would find himself out of a job in the future.

with hall being one of the best faceoff pk guys in the league and rinaldo pkinig i am liking our 4thline.

just needs a better 3rd member on that line

Clown Baby* 11-16-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 74495613)
just needs a better 3rd member on that line

If only we had a big left-winger with puck skills that could skate somewhere in the organization.

Krishna 11-16-2013 11:04 AM

He was tried in the lockout season when he was playing with the phantoms. Heard he looked good

RJ8812* 11-16-2013 11:53 AM

I remember Lavy was talking about using him on the PK before. But was it really Lavy, or was Berube, who ran the PK while Lavy was here, telling Lavy that he was going to try him out on the PK?

Sniped 11-16-2013 01:58 PM

Most Pk'ers have High hockey IQ's. Rinaldo doesn't strike me as that, but he has done a fairly decent job for what i've seen so far.

Hope he continues to work at it, makes me feel better about out 4th line.

1865 11-16-2013 02:06 PM

Rinaldo on the PK, we concede twice on it to the worst PP team in the league.

tymed 11-16-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 74503715)
Rinaldo on the PK, we concede twice on it to the worst PP team in the league.

You (clearly) didn't watch the game because Rinaldo wasn't on for either of the goals against.

1865 11-16-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymed (Post 74504855)
You (clearly) didn't watch the game because Rinaldo wasn't on for either of the goals against.

I'm just being a knob. I thought he played well.

GKJ 11-16-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 74498875)
I remember Lavy was talking about using him on the PK before. But was it really Lavy, or was Berube, who ran the PK while Lavy was here, telling Lavy that he was going to try him out on the PK?

Everyone talked about it, but Lappy seems to be the only one who wants to do it. Lavy was scaling back his ice time, and Berube clearly looks for reasons to not use him. Through 19 games, he's averaging the least TOI/60 in his NHL career.

Ultimately, it's what he's going to have to do to stay in the league. Just don't want to hear crying about reputation when a ref nails him to the cross while we're killing a penalty.

Larry44 11-16-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 74507491)
Everyone talked about it, but Lappy seems to be the only one who wants to do it. Lavy was scaling back his ice time, and Berube clearly looks for reasons to not use him. Through 19 games, he's averaging the least TOI/60 in his NHL career.

Ultimately, it's what he's going to have to do to stay in the league. Just don't want to hear crying about reputation when a ref nails him to the cross while we're killing a penalty.

Rinaldo was a good PKers in Jr. no reason he can't do it again. You're right, he has to be very careful.

Tripod 11-16-2013 06:43 PM

I think once he starts killing them regularly, he will gain more respect from refs and hopefully not be targeted so much.

3Fs 11-16-2013 06:49 PM

Other players that have the same game as him are also doing pking, so not so unusual that he is. I'm glad he is though because I think he would do a nice job with it.

DrinkFightFlyers 11-16-2013 06:58 PM

Makes sense. His defense is pretty solid. Some people just can't get past the fact that he's a pest. He's not gonna win a Selke or anything, but aside form when he first came in the league, I don't think I've ever been nervous with him on the ice...at least not about his defense...lack of scoring or taking a stupid penalty...that's another story...

GKJ 11-16-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod (Post 74515025)
I think once he starts killing them regularly, he will gain more respect from refs and hopefully not be targeted so much.

That was supposedly already happening with the penalties he was drawing, at least until he took a penalty himself.

Roman Reigns 11-17-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 74516669)
That was supposedly already happening with the penalties he was drawing, at least until he took a penalty himself.

He's not going to win EVERY ref over...

SgtJoseph 11-17-2013 09:43 AM

I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !

Bob Clarke Fan Club 11-17-2013 10:34 AM

Maybe if the refs really hate when he's on the ice, they'll call less cheap penalties in an effort to see him less.:)

Flyersfan1493 11-17-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 74550049)
I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !

If Rinaldo had the ability to score 15 goals or more, then he would already get those minutes. People said the same thing about Carcillo, and look how that turned out.

SgtJoseph 11-17-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 74553741)
If Rinaldo had the ability to score 15 goals or more, then he would already get those minutes. People said the same thing about Carcillo, and look how that turned out.

Respectfully i disagree..........Rinaldo don't get the minutes because he is prosne to take penalties that MANY of which are reputation calls in my view. He has done a GREAT job of making the other team make penalties, and has shown much more discipline in that area..........Dave the hammer Schultz scored 20 goals back in the day. Rinaldo has a damn hard shot, and his hands are very underrated in my view. I would have liked to have seen him take the Penalty shot the other night .

Cyborg LeClair 11-17-2013 05:35 PM

I really like Rinaldo and think he has been improving offensively over the past couple seasons.

He's a good forechecker and knows the smart play to make. Unfortunately, he is often not skilled enough to score or complete the play.

I definitely like seeing him as a second unit PKer and 4th liner and liked his chemistry and drive when Giroux was double shifting on his line

Roman Reigns 11-17-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 74553741)
If Rinaldo had the ability to score 15 goals or more, then he would already get those minutes. People said the same thing about Carcillo, and look how that turned out.

Not that I disagree with you on Rinaldo, but Carcillo really isn't a good example. He has a 12 and 13 goal season under his belt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.