HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Player Discussion: Niklas Grossmann (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1539969)

TheFatOne 11-16-2013 02:54 PM

Niklas Grossmann

whats your guys opinion about him?

PALE PWNR 11-16-2013 02:56 PM

He's a fridge on skates.

Sniped 11-16-2013 02:56 PM

One of our most consistent defenseman.

Definitely offensively challenged and I don't think anyone wants the puck on his stick. But he's still been rock solid for the most part.

Flyerfan4life 11-16-2013 03:18 PM

perfectly happy with him...

does what hes expected to do game in and game out...

TheFatOne 11-16-2013 03:20 PM

he is not soft, right?

LegionOfDoom91 11-16-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFatOne (Post 74506361)
he is not soft, right?

He hits like a truck when he gets someone lined up & blocks a **** ton of shots.

I don't know if you're asking about him for the Olympics but my opinion would be he's a bad fit for the larger ice surface. He's much better in a NHL/NA style type of game.

dingbathero 11-16-2013 03:49 PM

He eats pucks like they are going out of style - 6th in the NHL in blocks so far, plays well around the net and isn't afraid to use his body when he has too. I think I've been more impressed with him this year as to how calm he is in his own zone, doesn't seem to get flustered as much as he did last year. Good stick too.

I wish he shot more, I'd imagine a frame like that he could have a cannon of a shot if he ever put his head down and gave it one good one.

shipwreck 11-16-2013 05:16 PM

I really was impressed with him last season. At the start of this season, his performance wasn't that great. But as the team has turned things around, he has gotten better -and more "back to normal" like he was in the past.

I hope he can keep it up this season as well.

Danko 11-16-2013 05:23 PM

Grossman is the ****. if he was 20 pounds lighter im convinced he would be incredible.

Love his game, you can tell hes working on his stick handling and i think its underappreciated because hes older. If he was a rookie we watched develop people would fawn all over him.

I think hes been getting better since he came from Dallas

FlyersFan61290 11-16-2013 05:30 PM

He's underrated by other teams' fans, that's for sure. With that said, he's strictly a stay at home guy who hits hard and blocks a ton of shots. He's decent at getting the puck out of his own end but really doesn't provide anything in terms of offense beyond that. Solid complimentary defender.

Larry44 11-16-2013 06:35 PM

Grossmann is Ed Van Impe. Love him.

dats81 11-17-2013 03:02 AM

Slow but positionally sound player who fearlessly blocks shots and exactly knows when to take a hit.
I love how he can bear-hug a foward towards the boards to fully neutralize him for a couple of seconds.

He is underrated by a lot of people because he won't get on the scoresheet but his first pass is pretty accurate and he won't cough up the puck a lot.

PhillyFlying 11-17-2013 03:26 AM

he is slooooooooooooooooooooow.

but yeah shot blocks.

FlyingPhilly 11-17-2013 06:52 AM

I think Grossmann is the ceiling of LSchenn. Right now Grossmann is the better player because he is more positionally sound and knows he isn't a PMD. Neither can really skate and are strictly defensive d-men with strength.

FlyersFan61290 11-17-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly (Post 74547775)
I think Grossmann is the ceiling of LSchenn. Right now Grossmann is the better player because he is more positionally sound and knows he isn't a PMD. Neither can really skate and are strictly defensive d-men with strength.

Schenn has a significantly better shot though. Schenn from last year was also more mobile, I don't know what happened this year but I think Schenn will end up being the better of the two for the reasons I just mentioned (mobility and shot). I'm not trying to say he's gonna be an offensive powerhouse but Schenn already has about 30 more pts then Grossmann in about 30 less games. I expect that trend to continue.

SgtJoseph 11-17-2013 09:54 AM

He is a SOLID old school Dman that hits like an A-10 warthog on a soviet T-64 tank . There ain't nothing pretty about this cats game, his skating or shooting etc, but he is one tough customer on D and was a great pick up by Homer .

Curufinwe 11-17-2013 10:20 AM

I wish his shot was better because for some reason he gets tons of opportunities to shoot from the point.

dats81 11-17-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 74550887)
I wish his shot was better because for some reason he gets tons of opportunities to shoot from the point.

I guess that is because people get bruised when they try to cross way with this steamroller on skates and that is why he finds himself in good shooting position in the offensive zone from time to time. It just takes way too much time for him to get there :laugh:

FlyingPhilly 11-17-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 (Post 74548633)
Schenn has a significantly better shot though. Schenn from last year was also more mobile, I don't know what happened this year but I think Schenn will end up being the better of the two for the reasons I just mentioned (mobility and shot). I'm not trying to say he's gonna be an offensive powerhouse but Schenn already has about 30 more pts then Grossmann in about 30 less games. I expect that trend to continue.

Ok, I amend my statement then. LSchenn's ceiling is Grossmann with a bit more offense.

Jray42 11-17-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 74550887)

This. For whatever reason, it seems he gets a good shooting lane more often than the rest of our defense combined :laugh:

Beef Invictus 11-17-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingbathero (Post 74507311)
He eats pucks like they are going out of style - 6th in the NHL in blocks so far, plays well around the net and isn't afraid to use his body when he has too. I think I've been more impressed with him this year as to how calm he is in his own zone, doesn't seem to get flustered as much as he did last year. Good stick too.

I wish he shot more, I'd imagine a frame like that he could have a cannon of a shot if he ever put his head down and gave it one good one.

He shoots hard, he just can't hit the net

Dirty but Good 11-17-2013 12:14 PM

I think Grossmann is underrated. He doesn't have much of a ceiling but he plays his role very well and eats up minutes.

Prongo 11-17-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 74554333)
He shoots hard, he just can't hit the net

You just described every single defenseman the Flyers have.

dingbathero 11-17-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 74555731)
You just described every single defenseman the Flyers have.

or most players.... :laugh:

1865 11-17-2013 04:15 PM

He's worth far more to us than he'd be worth in trade, that's for sure.

Every successful team needs a Grossmann.