HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Our Fenwick numbers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1540203)

tinyzombies 11-16-2013 10:32 PM

Our Fenwick numbers

Montreal is ranked 7th and the Rangers 9th in Fenwick (possession) numbers. Can someone explain, cuz it looked like we couldn't get the puck from them all night.

EDIT: I was looking at last year's stats....that's the problem....lol (we're 16th and it shows)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/team...T&sortdir=DESC

SouthernHab 11-16-2013 10:33 PM

This is the reason why stats do not come close to telling the real story.

The Montreal Canadiens are not a puck possession team.

Noob616 11-16-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 74532197)

We were last year when we were successful, and are now not. We're 17th in Fenwick for, nobody would call that a good possession team, last year we were 7th and were top 5 for the majority of the year. Think most would agree that's a pretty good possession team.

This game we were outshot 38-62 in fenwick percentage, the stats definitely told the real story tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyzombies (Post 74531947)
Montreal is ranked 7th and the Rangers 9th in Fenwick (possession) numbers. Can someone explain, cuz it looked like we couldn't get the puck from them all night.

We're 17th actually. Rangers are 12th. Might want to fact check before decrying the value of analytics. Habs possession rates have fallen off dramatically in the last couple weeks.

tinyzombies 11-16-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 74532197)

Do you mean by design?

PS: I was looking at last year's stats....that's the problem....lol

SouthernHab 11-16-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyzombies (Post 74532625)
Do you mean by design?

PS: I was looking at last year's stats....that's the problem....lol

Design, execution, gameplan. All of those.

It starts with our horrible breakouts and ends with our reliance on the dump and chase.

We seem to struggle with passing this season for some reason.

For some reason, we have become a team that attempts more stretch passes from the D than any other. Possession killer.

tinyzombies 11-16-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 74533171)

It starts with our horrible breakouts and ends with our reliance on the dump and chase.

For some reason, we have become a team that attempts more stretch passes from the D than any other. Possession killer.

One interesting stat I just read - Emelin is only middle of the pack for Fenwick and his quality of competition was very low.

sharks9 11-17-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyzombies (Post 74533877)
One interesting stat I just read - Emelin is only middle of the pack for Fenwick and his quality of competition was very low.

He's a defensive defenseman though so that's not surprising.

Lshap 11-17-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 74533171)

This is exactly what I'm seeing, too. But I can't accept that Therrien said, "Well, our system worked great last season, so let's totally change it!". Doesn't make sense.

I don't think we're playing a different system, I think the opposition is. Other teams have adapted their system to counter ours. They rush our D, force them into desperate passes or those long-bombs. Or we get pushed around and lose a majority of puck battles.

We've got to adapt to this. Play another forward back, give our defence another quick pass option. We're relying on our D to start a rush from the neutral zone, but they're being hemmed in time and time again. Therrien has to friggin change it up and take advantage of their forwards forechecking so deep in our zone!

overlords 11-17-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharks9 (Post 74541599)
He's a defensive defenseman though so that's not surprising.

That's not how it works.

SouthernHab 11-17-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 74548253)
This is exactly what I'm seeing, too. But I can't accept that Therrien said, "Well, our system worked great last season, so let's totally change it!". Doesn't make sense.

I don't think we're playing a different system, I think the opposition is. Other teams have adapted their system to counter ours. They rush our D, force them into desperate passes or those long-bombs. Or we get pushed around and lose a majority of puck battles.

We've got to adapt to this. Play another forward back, give our defence another quick pass option. We're relying on our D to start a rush from the neutral zone, but they're being hemmed in time and time again. Therrien has to friggin change it up and take advantage of their forwards forechecking so deep in our zone!

I dont think that Therrien would say that. Therrien has changed the approach to the breakouts from our zone, though.

I think the message that he has given the team is to get the puck out of the zone as quickly as possible. There is no puck patience. It is go go go out of the zone when in reality, one of the better ways to get the puck out of the zone is to be patient with it.

beaverBFP 11-17-2013 01:34 PM

While I'm not a stats junky, I agree the breakouts have been horrible this year. Seems like most of the time the defense is forced to chip the puck off the glass instead of passing it off. The forwards aren't able to generate any speed as a cohesive unit which leads to them dumping the puck or causing a turnover. I don't know if it's because the forwards aren't supporting enough or it's MT game plan but it needs to change.

Le Tricolore 11-17-2013 01:40 PM

Great ballpark, even if I don't like the Red Sox.

I know, I know...