HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Simon Despres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1541315)

specialized 11-18-2013 03:54 PM

Simon Despres

I remember at the end of last season he was going to get top four minutes, then we signed Rob Scudari, and I guess he had a bad camp. Looking at his stats this year he is tied for 5th in points for a defenceman (btw so is Joe Morrow) If this team keeps playing the way they are (uninspired) a change needs to happen, and if that mean trading a top four defenceman( Orpik or Martin) and bringing Despres back up,than so be it.

BlindWillyMcHurt 11-18-2013 03:59 PM

I don't think they've given up on him. He just happens to not be waiver eligible and the GM has a crippling addiction to hoarding defensemen.

orby 11-18-2013 04:03 PM

He's the victim in a numbers game. If Olli Maatta hadn't looked like such a revelation at the beginning of the season, Despres would be playing in Pittsburgh now. It wouldn't stun me to see him get traded but I don't think they've given up on him so much as they just don't have room for him.

The Tang 11-18-2013 04:17 PM

In addition to what was said above, because Shero is desperately clinging to his cup win, he had to bring back the much overrated Scuderi and in doing so is hurting Despres' development (not to mention eating up a bunch of cap for an aging defender). He should be on the big club getting regular minutes.

Sadly, I can see him be dealt just because of how stupid management has been since the end of last year.

Jag68Sid87 11-18-2013 04:28 PM

Rob Scuderi was a necessary signing, IMO. He's Letang's safet valve and eventually we'll all see it on the ice (first one was injured, then the other got hurt).

I don't think they like Despres. Not exactly going out on a limb to say that. If they did, he'd have his place on this team EVEN WITH Scuderi signed.

There's no reason why we need to keep Brooks Orpik or Matt Niskanen over playing Despres. None.

Stecz 11-18-2013 04:29 PM

No. Stop being Rossi and hunting for a story that doesn't exist.

Warm Cookies 11-18-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tang (Post 74613769)
In addition to what was said above, because Shero is desperately clinging to his cup win, he had to bring back the much overrated Scuderi and in doing so is hurting Despres' development (not to mention eating up a bunch of cap for an aging defender). He should be on the big club getting regular minutes.

Sadly, I can see him be dealt just because of how stupid management has been since the end of last year.

What part of Scuderi's play this year, or his intervening 4 years in LA, suggest to you that he's overrated?

To answer the OP, no, management hasn't given up on Despres. We have a glut of defensemen on one-ways and he could benefit from polishing up his game.

12IsGreaterThan47 11-18-2013 04:30 PM

yes and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know basketball

Candyman 11-18-2013 04:33 PM

If we could just dress

Scuderi-Martin
Maata-Bortuzzo
Despres-Letang/Dumoulin
(Harrington)
When healthy life would be grand

gordie 11-18-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candyman (Post 74614411)
If we could just dress

Scuderi-Martin
Maata-Bortuzzo
Despres-Letang/Dumoulin
(Harrington)
When healthy life would be grand

That would make sense and therefore Anti-Bylsma.

PensPlz 11-18-2013 04:55 PM

We're just keeping him fresh for the second half of the season :nod:

:shakehead

Stecz 11-18-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie (Post 74615477)

Yes, casting off one of the best puck movers in the league because he's playing a bit badly/recklessly and considering him replaceable with a 2nd year pro who hasn't put it together at the AHL level yet makes so much sense.

Jag68Sid87 11-18-2013 04:58 PM

All I know is he would have played much better against Jaromir Jagr than what Matt Niskanen attempted on Saturday night.

Despres has played well whenever lined up against Jags.

Ragamuffin Gunner 11-18-2013 04:59 PM

Shero's just showing other GMs how to horribly mishandle prospects.

Shrimper 11-18-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adams27 (Post 74612763)
I remember at the end of last season he was going to get top four minutes, then we signed Rob Scudari, and I guess he had a bad camp. Looking at his stats this year he is tied for 5th in points for a defenceman (btw so is Joe Morrow) If this team keeps playing the way they are (uninspired) a change needs to happen, and if that mean trading a top four defenceman( Orpik or Martin) and bringing Despres back up,than so be it.

Unless another injury occurs or a trade that sees us lose a D man he has no need to be up as he would be sitting in the press box for most games. I'd rather see him up than Engelland though. Don't see the need for Engelland anymore despite his versatility.

Big McLargehuge 11-18-2013 05:09 PM

We have 8 NHL defenseman on one-way deals (well, 7 one-way deals and a 19 year-old who can't be sent to the AHL). Until 3 of them get hurt, Määttä gets sent back to London, or someone gets traded he's stuck in WBS. Period.

Candyman 11-18-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie (Post 74615477)

On a serious note though, how amazing would Scuderi-Martin pairing be in the d-zone. That would be an awesome shut down pair

Warm Cookies 11-18-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candyman (Post 74616093)
On a serious note though, how amazing would Scuderi-Martin pairing be in the d-zone. That would be an awesome shut down pair

As good as that pair would be defensively, that's how bad defensively Despres and the '13-'14 incarnation Letang would be.

djt153 11-18-2013 05:13 PM

the prospects thread makes it sound like his attention to detail in the defensive zone isnt where it needs to be. some might say that he isnt challenged enough in the ahl to stay engaged, others might point out that when braincramps are seen as a developmental weakness remaining at full engagement always is of the utmost importance.

im all for the idea of calling him up so he can shadow jagr, though.

Candyman 11-18-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 74616193)
As good as that pair would be defensively, that's how bad defensively Despres and the '13-'14 incarnation Letang would be.

I don't disagree, but with 3rd line minutes.... I was looking for a shrug emoticon but couldn't find it... so *shrug*

Big McLargehuge 11-18-2013 05:21 PM

So Kris Letang is now apparently a third pairing defenseman?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D0lSwZdHm5...if-disgust.gif

Candyman 11-18-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 74616571)
So Kris Letang is now apparently a third pairing defenseman?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D0lSwZdHm5...if-disgust.gif

I was being sarcastic.

gordie 11-18-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stecz (Post 74615657)
Yes, casting off one of the best puck movers in the league because he's playing a bit badly/recklessly and considering him replaceable with a 2nd year pro who hasn't put it together at the AHL level yet makes so much sense.

Letang is still there, unless you mean Niskanen:help:

KIRK 11-18-2013 05:32 PM

Given up may be a little harsh, but they CHOSE to go into this season with 7 one way contracts and not to move Niskanen.

If they seriously saw Matt Niskanen as a better option for the team than letting Despres develop over a season, then either they've given up on him or they're obtuse.

I am slightly more inclined to believe the latter.

Big McLargehuge 11-18-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candyman (Post 74616609)
I was being sarcastic.

At this point I just assume everyone has lost their marbles around here, my apologies.