HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Player Discussion: Mark Streit (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1542461)

3Fs 11-20-2013 08:14 AM

Mark Streit

Last time I beached about a players performance, they turned it around and thank you Coburn for that.

Streit has been a real disappointment to say the least. All the hype when he came over from the Isle about taking care of our backend pmd needs seem like a total lie.

He was suppose to get that first pass off with precision and with great accuracy.

I was excited to get the puck out of our zone with less of a circus but let me tell you what, he is like a circus getting the puck out. I swear he is a turnover machine and is trying to sabotage our team.

He is not playing even close to the salary we gave him and 4 years is a longgggg time of this.

Please wake the heck up and act like the captain material you were over in NY.

GKJ 11-20-2013 08:29 AM

The alternative was sounding like trading Couturier + for Yandle. I'll take the good with the bad, and deal with it when they find a way to move him on in a year or two.

DecadesofFutility 11-20-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 74715479)
The alternative was sounding like trading Couturier + for Yandle. I'll take the good with the bad, and deal with it when they find a way to move him on in a year or two.

I would have preferred keeping Carle, and trading Coburn to signing Streit.
I wanted Yandle and was fine with trading Coots + for him, way better plan than Streit.

Hiesenberg 11-20-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility (Post 74715711)
I would have preferred keeping Carle, and trading Coburn to signing Streit.
I wanted Yandle and was fine with trading Coots + for him, way better plan than Streit.

So you want Streit, Yandle & Carle all at the same time?

So just give up playing defense?

dats81 11-20-2013 08:57 AM

Streit is not an elite PMD and he is slowing down as he is getting older. We all knew that.

He is taking risks to get the offense going and that back-fires at times.
So far he has had many average, a few very good and a few very bad games. Nothing spectacular but not bad either in my eyes.

DecadesofFutility 11-20-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 74715911)
So you want Streit, Yandle & Carle all at the same time?

So just give up playing defense?

LOL, you misunderstand me.
I was not interested in Streit, typical Flyer signing, old vet,washed up.

I wanted to keep Carle, he was a offensive minded defenseman, unlike the 4 of the 5 defensemen we had.
Coburn to me was just another defensive defenseman, his signing would not have been a priority over keeping Carle.

Yandle to me was another option, not necessarily a great upgrade over Carle, but still the best option of the three.

It is sad when your best offensive defenseman is like 40+ years old.
That shows lack of foresight by management to address the situation in a timely manner.

JDinkalage Morgoone 11-20-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 74716067)
Streit is not an elite PMD and he is slowing down as he is getting older. We all knew that.

He is taking risks to get the offense going and that back-fires at times.
So far he has had many average, a few very good and a few very bad games. Nothing spectacular but not bad either in my eyes.

I agree with this. He tries to do too much at times and gets out of position, but he's been so-so. I am not complaining currently. We'll see how it goes.

FreshPerspective 11-20-2013 09:47 AM

I had my doubts about Streit when they signed him. I noted how basically the Streit signing was Holmgren's attempt to right a wrong in the previous offseason when he let Carle walk for zilch because he took a "homer"run swing for Suter and Parise.

Streit is definitely a need as a PMD..I just don't think he's been anything greater than what Carle provided although he provides a decent shot on the PP compared to Carle's weak wristers. I've just been underwhelmed and everybody complains about what Carle got with Tampa but we probably could have signed Carle to Streit's contract dollars and term.

In short..the Streit signing was a sideways move and simply was Holmgren's fixing of his own mistake which he was able to do with the buyouts of Briere and Bryz. If he didn't have that get out of jail free card.....letting Carle walk would have looked even worse!

MP92 11-20-2013 09:56 AM

Haven't been impressed with him but we need to put up with him for now until our prospects like Ghost and Hagg are ready. Hopefully they can draft another in the off season.

shipwreck 11-20-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Fs (Post 74715201)
Last time I beached about a players performance, they turned it around and thank you Coburn for that.

Streit has been a real disappointment to say the least.

I agree - I really did not like Coburn at all the past couple of seasons. He has played very well lately - since the team has turned it around.

Streit has been taking a lot of shots, but hasn't been very sucessful. I will agree that he needs to do a better job.

Appleyard 11-20-2013 10:57 AM

I thought he was probably our best D man when the team was playing like crap... since then he has had 2 bad games.

He is not Kimmo of yesteryear, but he can move a puck and has a nice shot, he is ok in his own end... but that is not where he is generally caught out defensively, that would be the offensive and neutral zone. He is never going to play tough minutes, but plays fine defensively vs average to sub average opponents.

Hiesenberg 11-20-2013 11:12 AM

He has very little points on the PP, he needs to get that 2nd unit firing. That's what he's getting paid to do.

FreshPerspective 11-20-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 74720603)
He has very little points on the PP, he needs to get that 2nd unit firing. That's what he's getting paid to do.

Yup....to me just being a Carle fillin is not enough. He needs to be more of a catalyst back there to justify that contract. Right now he gets a pass b/c we have little alternative(s)

jd2210 11-20-2013 11:52 AM

I'd rather have Streit than Carle.

CanadianFlyer88 11-20-2013 11:52 AM

He is the only defenseman that consistently loses board battles in the defensive zone and he his prone to bad giveaways in the offensive zone.

His overall play hasn't been terrible, and he honestly has played pretty close to how I expected him to, but $5M+ for a second pair, 2nd PP defensemen who will probably show his age more each season is worrisome.

bauer 11-20-2013 12:35 PM

he hasn't been atrocious. but i expected a lot more offense from him at this point. that's what he was brought here to do. 6 assists in 20 games is nowhere near enough.

FlyersFanz 11-20-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2210 (Post 74722251)
I'd rather have Streit than Carle.

Me too, Carle was the cough up king, plus Streit has a great shot from the point which actually hits the goalie area.

hockeyfreak7 11-20-2013 12:40 PM

I've been pleased with Streit. He's not generating a lot of offense directly, but he is an extremely effective puck mover, and the transition game is miles better with him in the lineup.

He's not a reliable guy in the D zone, but he's been adequate. As long as he's not a liability, I'm okay with whatever his performance is defensively. I didn't expect him to be anything else.

Beef Invictus 11-20-2013 01:04 PM

He's an improvement on Carle at the moment. How he ages is a worry.

Legion of Gloom 11-20-2013 01:11 PM

He Sucks Camel Balls

I would rather have Mez

Beef Invictus 11-20-2013 01:12 PM

I guess you missed all of Mez's games?

shipwreck 11-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legion of Goon (Post 74725795)
I would rather have Mez

Good god no - no way. Mez can't see the light of day on the lineup again...

BillDineen 11-20-2013 01:53 PM

I have not been impressed with Streit. I think he has generated as many offensive chances for opponents as he has for the Flyers at even strength with his decision making at the blue line. I do think he has the ability to be better though.

LegionOfDoom91 11-20-2013 01:57 PM

He's been brutal the last two games but overall I would say he's been alright so far.

Flyotes 11-20-2013 01:59 PM

I expected a tad more. I've been calling him "medium energy." Not sure why, but it fits.