HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: MTL should find a way to lower the cost of defensive line (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1543377)

Disappearing Semin 11-21-2013 07:13 PM

MTL should find a way to lower the cost of defensive line

So like the title says Montreal needs to lose some salary on the defensive line. I see the top4 being too expensive at this point Markov(5)-Subban(7-8),Emelin(4)-Gorges(4). I see Gorges as the odd man out if indeed Bergevin signs Markov and Subban. We would need to find a cheap top4 defenseman option (salary wise) to lower the cost. Names that comes to mind are Kulikov, Demers.

Connor McJesus 11-21-2013 07:15 PM

I didn't know we were playing in the NFL.

Strik_IX 11-21-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcamp (Post 74795873)
So like the title says Montreal needs to lose some salary on the defensive line. I see the top4 being too expensive at this point Markov(5)-Subban(7-8),Emelin(4)-Gorges(4). I see Gorges as the odd man out if indeed Bergevin signs Markov and Subban. We would need to find a cheap top4 defenseman option (salary wise) to lower the cost. Names that comes to mind are Kulikov, Demers.

I don't think that's going to happen when we have Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu in the AHL. If they do move a D it won't be to pick up a cheaper D IMO.

Disappearing Semin 11-21-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strik_IX (Post 74796935)
I don't think that's going to happen when we have Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu in the AHL. If they do move a D it won't be to pick up a cheaper D IMO.

I dont really understand what you mean. Are you saying Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn would be a replacement? Id like to see one of them step up next year but I am not expecting them to do so next year.

CanadianSharks 11-21-2013 07:35 PM

Probably not Demers. We need a top 4 d-man, not lose one.

EDIT: I'm a Sharks fan too, so this "we" means the Sharks, in this case.

Lafleurs Guy 11-21-2013 07:42 PM

Well, if we have a time machine we can go back to last year and give Subban a 5 for 25 like he asked for.

Anybody got one? A Delorean maybe? A Flux Capacitor? 1.21 Giggawatts?

Strik_IX 11-21-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcamp (Post 74797245)
I dont really understand what you mean. Are you saying Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn would be a replacement? Id like to see one of them step up next year but I am not expecting them to do so next year.

If we absolutely need to shed some salary, then yes I'd give Tinordi the call-up. I'd rather see him develop in the NHL than bring in a stop-gap plug.

JLP 11-21-2013 07:50 PM

Almost $30 million sunk into an imperfect defence corps, and it looks like the last they'll sign will be Subban. Thanks MB ya **** for setting it up to make PK appear greedy and selfish! Even if this wasn't intentional it is idiotic to pay your supporting cast before your number one.

Tiger Svoboda 11-21-2013 08:00 PM

Signing Subban first or last does not change anything
I don't see your point

DJ Breadman 11-21-2013 08:03 PM

Our d isn't that great as it is but I do know our d needs to get younger, someone on an entry level contract as to step it up soon

jaffy27 11-21-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 74799211)
Almost $30 million sunk into an imperfect defence corps, and it looks like the last they'll sign will be Subban. Thanks MB ya **** for setting it up to make PK appear greedy and selfish! Even if this wasn't intentional it is idiotic to pay your supporting cast before your number one.

2 of the top 6 is signed through next year, that's hardly the supporting cast, plus Subban's contract is gonna be a little more complex, chillax

JLP 11-21-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger Svoboda (Post 74800009)
Signing Subban first or last does not change anything
I don't see your point

It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MB is doing it bass ackwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaffy27 (Post 74800269)
2 of the top 6 is signed through next year, that's hardly the supporting cast, plus Subban's contract is gonna be a little more complex, chillax

How? Contracts are standardized under the new CBA. No bonuses, basically it's money and term. Not complex.

LyricalLyricist 11-21-2013 09:34 PM

Gorges should be packaged for a better defenseman anyway.

LyricalLyricist 11-21-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 74802973)
It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MT is doing it bass ackwards.

What do you mean? Correct me if I'm wrong but MB(I assume you meant our GM, not our coach) only signed 1 to a long term deal...Emelin.

Gorges was signed by Gauthier, as was Markov. Diaz isn't signed and Murray, Boullion types get 1 year deals.

Only Emelin got a contract first. It's not exactly a massive list.

JLP 11-21-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 74810485)
What do you mean? Correct me if I'm wrong but MB(I assume you meant our GM, not our coach) only signed 1 to a long term deal...Emelin.

Gorges was signed by Gauthier, as was Markov. Diaz isn't signed and Murray, Boullion types get 1 year deals.

Only Emelin got a contract first. It's not exactly a massive list.

Oops "MB" thanks. Okay point taken Ghost signed Gorges. My point is that Subban should be dealt with first, before Emelin and Diaz. Actually I also think Markov should be taken care of before Diaz.

I'm concerned that if the Subban negotiations drag on we'll hear from the local media about how much our D is already costing us, and how can we possibly afford Subban at the exorbitant price of $8M? I hope it doesn't develop that way but there's a risk is that if Subban is the last D signed he'll be accused of trying to break the bank. We'll see.

Video Coach 11-21-2013 10:24 PM

Best way to bring the cost of the blue line down is to have some guys on ELCs step up and make one of Gorges or Dias (or both) expendable.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren. Any of these guys could earn a spot even this year at some point, if not next.

FF de Mars 11-21-2013 10:43 PM

I'm weary about Diaz and Gorges. The rest is fine (Bouillon is as good as gone next year).

NA Scouting 11-21-2013 10:57 PM

You're kinda right though. And especially since Bergy is negotiating with Diaz a big contract as well. That's a lot of money invested in defense. But with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn we could cut on costs a bit for next year. I think Diaz or Gorges need to go. The kids are ready.

Although I don't think any team has won the Cup with three rookies on D... not since the 2015 Canadiens anyway... wait

Team_Spirit 11-21-2013 11:10 PM

Playing our 1st rounders Beaulieu and Tinordi might be a good idea.

Look at all the young D around the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Noob616 11-22-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 74817987)
Playing our 1st rounders Beaulieu and Tinordi might be a good idea.

Look at all the young D around the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

You mean you'd rather not play Murray and Bouillion instead? :sarcasm:

jaffy27 11-22-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 74802973)
It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MB is doing it bass ackwards.

How? Contracts are standardized under the new CBA. No bonuses, basically it's money and term. Not complex.

NTC....NMC...how many years, 7 or 8, how much does ownership want to commit on one player, 7 million or 8 million, can we afford that much under the cap, do we pay him 10 million the first 4 years than 5 million the last four or is it vice versa. How much will Galchenyuk and Gallagher want if they keep performing the way they are in 3-4 years, 6-7-8 million?? Can we afford all of them at that price? Whenever you are dealing with 1/8th to 1/10th of your salary on 1 guy, it becomes complicated and you really need to make sure you are committing your money to the right person, and I'm 100% sure I'm missing out on other facts and complications.

Ezpz 11-22-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 74799211)

30 mil won't even be 30% of the cap in 3-4 years. Not that our D will cost 30 mil even in a worst case scenario. 27 mil is probably the max we could hit if everyone gets paid market value.

Crimson Skorpion 11-22-2013 06:18 AM

Both Boo-boo and Murray are making $1.5 million.
Drewiske, who is a serviceable 7th/8th, is making well under 750k.

Drew is around for next season, while both Boo-boo and Murray will be gone. That frees up $3 million and some space on the blue-line. Guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and maybe even Nygren and Dietz could all challenge for those two spots. All five of them would not cost much.

jaffy27 11-22-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezpz (Post 74826501)
30 mil won't even be 30% of the cap in 3-4 years. Not that our D will cost 30 mil even in a worst case scenario. 27 mil is probably the max we could hit if everyone gets paid market value.

Judging buy your numbers, you're saying the salary cap will be around 103 million or more in 3-4 yrs, it's gotta b a typo on your part

jaffy27 11-22-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion (Post 74826555)
Both Boo-boo and Murray are making $1.5 million.
Drewiske, who is a serviceable 7th/8th, is making well under 750k.

Drew is around for next season, while both Boo-boo and Murray will be gone. That frees up $3 million and some space on the blue-line. Guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and maybe even Nygren and Dietz could all challenge for those two spots. All five of them would not cost much.

637,500$ to be precise...agree with the replacements. There's gotta b at least 2 out of those 5 that will pan out