HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Markov-Subban Pairing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1544821)

Nedved 11-24-2013 12:15 AM

Markov-Subban Pairing

These two have been down right dominate on the ice. Teams haven't been able to do much, and they're putting up points nightly.

Not sure where I would rank them in the league, but they have to be one of the toughest pairings to play against.

I know some people want to go back to markov emelin, gorges subban, but man-o-man, markov subban have been nearly perfect lately.

(I basically made this thread for markov, he seems to take a back seat to subban, but has been incredible for the team this season, and is only looking better each game).

Lionel Mandrake 11-24-2013 12:21 AM

Can't see how we can afford not to sign Markov now.

Saundies 11-24-2013 12:39 AM

In my 21 years of existence, this is probably my all-time favorite Habs D pairing. It's almost like a passing of the torch kind of thing, too, one general to another.

NLHabsFan 11-24-2013 12:42 AM

They're meshing so well together. I think they have an argument for the top pairing in the league right now. I hope MB locks both up very soon. Don't break them up MT!

NinetyThree24 11-24-2013 12:50 AM

We all know Subban is awesome, but Markov has been amazing as well.

He's so calm and collected with the puck. Truly like a QB in the offensive zone, checking his passing options and picking the best one.

TT1 11-24-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saundies (Post 74925961)
In my 21 years of existence, this is probably my all-time favorite Habs D pairing. It's almost like a passing of the torch kind of thing, too, one general to another.

i wouldnt call subban a general, hes more of a colonel :(. markov's playmaking/hockey iq is on another level

CanadienShark 11-24-2013 01:17 AM

They're both very good skaters. Both are outstanding offensively. Both are very solid to very good defensively. Both are very smart players. They have great chemistry - Markov is an amazing passer with a good shot, whereas Subban has an amazing shot with a good pass. It's no wonder that they mesh well. I'd argue they're at worst a top 3 pairing in the league. Only one who has a good argument for being better is Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo, but even then it's close.

Et le But 11-24-2013 01:54 AM

One of, if not the best defensive pairing in the league. I'm sure it's debatable but the only pairings I can think of that have been as consistently good are Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo (on a better team) and Suter and Brodin, who aren't as good offensively.

This is a completely different team when Subban and Markov are on the ice compared to when they are not. They are on the ice for 70% of the Habs goals and 36% of goals against. Their underlying numbers are absurd.

Just look at this table for the Pens game:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZzlaQPCcAEOBTo.png

The Doors 11-24-2013 02:19 AM

Markov owns the game of hockey. Hero

Willis Jenks 11-24-2013 02:19 AM

Was at the game, got to see their relationship close up. You can tell Markov really appreciates Subban. Last game Subban stood up for Markov and this game when Subban was in scrums I kept seeing Markov throw his weight around giving Subban some help. Subban's fight meant a lot to Markov.

OneSharpMarble 11-24-2013 02:42 AM

Remember the heat Gauthier took here for signing Markov? It was apparently the worst thing ever because Markov was "washed up" and we would never be able to offload that contract.

Nicko999 11-24-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willis Jenks (Post 74931551)
Was at the game, got to see their relationship close up. You can tell Markov really appreciates Subban. Last game Subban stood up for Markov and this game when Subban was in scrums I kept seeing Markov throw his weight around giving Subban some help. Subban's fight meant a lot to Markov.

Yea, they really do like each other.
http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/20130...bre-but-pk.jpg

JGRB 11-24-2013 07:55 AM

Who says we can't have two #1s?!

It's honestly an immense pairing because if one has a hiccup the other is right there to pick up the slack, so it's a rarity that the pairing screws up to the point of having a brutal game like we see with other pairings on the regular.

hockeyfan2k11 11-24-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 74932105)
Remember the heat Gauthier took here for signing Markov? It was apparently the worst thing ever because Markov was "washed up" and we would never be able to offload that contract.

Still crying for Gauthier. :laugh:

otto bond 11-24-2013 08:12 AM

Markov has really put his game together since coming back. His mobility has come back almost 100% and is not a defensive liability any more. Subban has been great too but it's Markov's game that has made this duo incredible.

MonkeyBusiness 11-24-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willis Jenks (Post 74931551)

They seemed to talk alot in between plays and laughed, I really hope we can lock Markov up. Also, another good thing about having Emelin back is that we can keep the Markov-Subban pairing and still have a good 2nd pairing with Gorges-Emelin.

dcyhabs 11-24-2013 08:32 AM

I'd be tempted to split them to spread the offence. On the other hand the habs only need one or two guys in Hamilton to pass Bouillon to have a pretty solid top 6. Have to hope for a log jam instead of a series of meh/busts.

AH 11-24-2013 08:35 AM

All those years I argued with Leaf fans that Markov >>> Kaberle/Mccabe.

Well, Markov is still in discussions for the Norris (but way on the outside) while the other two are out of the NHL at a younger age.

FF de Mars 11-24-2013 08:52 AM

Markov has always been my favourite Habs player. I even remember his debut. On HF, we were all excited about him when he first came over. When he played in the AHL for the Québec Citadelles, we were all complaining and wanted to see him with the big club. He had the same hype than Subban and Galchenyuk. I always defended him throughout his two injuries. I'm glad I did.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* 11-24-2013 09:55 AM

I wish Markov never retire so we can have this first pairing FOREVER!

Prendan Brust 11-24-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 74932105)

It is the same for every signings the habs have done in the last few years. I think the signing that was best received on this board was the Laraque signing, for obvious reasons.

macavoy 11-24-2013 10:22 AM

Markov is forcing MB's hand. At this point, MB has to extend Markov before he extends PK. If PK is going to get in the $7-8m range, Markov deserves similar money, he is playing more minutes per game currently and almost as integral.

dcyhabs 11-24-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF de Mars (Post 74935289)
Markov has always been my favourite Habs player. I even remember his debut. On HF, we were all excited about him when he first came over. When he played in the AHL for the Québec Citadelles, we were all complaining and wanted to see him with the big club. He had the same hype than Subban and Galchenyuk. I always defended him throughout his two injuries. I'm glad I did.

Well he was offence first back then. He'd put up points pretty much every game but I can remember mediocre forwards skating through him and Brisebois one on two to score easy goals. His game has evolved a lot. Markov's defence is strong and will improve has he gets some mobility back and adapts to his new (lower) top speed.

Not many players make the switch from center to D.

Narg98 11-24-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony (Post 74936953)
It is the same for every signings the habs have done in the last few years. I think the signing that was best received on this board was the Laraque signing, for obvious reasons.

I might be wrong, but people were saying that the Desharnais signing was golden after his great year alongside Paccio and Cole... Habs fan, typical bipolar :P.

Strik_IX 11-24-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 74936989)
Markov is forcing MB's hand. At this point, MB has to extend Markov before he extends PK. If PK is going to get in the $7-8m range, Markov deserves similar money, he is playing more minutes per game currently and almost as integral.

There is absolutely no way Markov gets a 7M+ offer from any team in the league unless Rob Ford lands a GM job. I'm pretty sure he will sign something along the lines of his last contract, he will be 35 in December, his prime is behind him even if he's still playing some very good hockey. It's not like we can expect him to get even better.

With that said, I think the Habs have one of the top 3 D pairings in the league in Subban and Markov, they are absolute dynamite.