HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   New Member and Pierre Turgeon (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=154491)

Stars-Preds 07-25-2005 11:33 PM

New Member and Pierre Turgeon

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. I lived in Nashville for five years, but moved to Texas in 1998. I've been the biggest Pred fan in Texas since. Looking forward to participating on the boards. But enough about me ...

I'm not convinced - yet - that a player like Demitra, Lang, or even Lindros would come to Nashville. I think we would have a better shot at a guy like Pierre Turgeon.

I know it's been mentioned here before, but what are the opinions of Turgeon?

My view ...

Downside
35, Not an "A" free agent, Coming off worst statistical season of his career

Upside
Upgrade at C, Less Expensive Option, Averaged 14 goals and 29 assists last 3 yrs

... 14 and 29 may not sound like much but consider that Legwand has averaged 15 goals and 26 assists over the last 3 yrs. Thoughts?

barrytrotzsneck 07-25-2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leg11wand
Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. I lived in Nashville for five years, but moved to Texas in 1998. I've been the biggest Pred fan in Texas since. Looking forward to participating on the boards. But enough about me ...

I'm not convinced - yet - that a player like Demitra, Lang, or even Lindros would come to Nashville. I think we would have a better shot at a guy like Pierre Turgeon.

I know it's been mentioned here before, but what are the opinions of Turgeon?

My view ...

Downside
35, Not an "A" free agent, Coming off worst statistical season of his career

Upside
Upgrade at C, Less Expensive Option, Averaged 14 goals and 29 assists last 3 yrs

... 14 and 29 may not sound like much but consider that Legwand has averaged 15 goals and 26 assists over the last 3 yrs. Thoughts?

Well, that's part of why we're shopping for a center that could...if Legwand still isn't clicking...be capable of a number 1 role. Turgeon could be...at best...an okay option for the second line...but there's no way he's a first line center at this point in his career. Again...is he really an upgrade over Greg Johnson? Not really. We need someone that's going to be good for at least 20 goals...and it's been a while since Turgeon has hit that mark. Interesting thought, though.

By the way...welcome :). Post often!

Stars-Preds 07-26-2005 12:04 AM

LoL sorry I was def. not suggesting Turgeon center our top line; I unfortuately saw plenty of him in Dallas and he was average the majority of the time.

I'm saying if Lang/Demitra and other top centers sign elsewhere should we turn to Turgeon? Despite his play in Dallas, I still think he could be an asset in Nashville.

barrytrotzsneck 07-26-2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leg11wand
LoL sorry I was def. not suggesting Turgeon center our top line; I unfortuately saw plenty of him in Dallas and he was average the majority of the time.

I'm saying if Lang/Demitra and other top centers sign elsewhere should we turn to Turgeon? Despite his play in Dallas, I still think he could be an asset in Nashville.

Eh, I just think there'll be better options available.

vopatsrash 07-26-2005 12:28 AM

I'm just looking forward to next week when we see reality set in on the so called "free agent frenzy". Right now seemingly every UFA is rumored to go to Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Phoenix, Vancouver and Detroit and somehow Colorado plans on bringing back their entire 03-04 roster.

Either we see the shocking trend of many top flight UFA's taking discounts to go to these teams and the pickings for Nashville are slim, or the media is just punch drunk and lazily putting every star in the original 6 (+ the rich and warm-weathered) without thinking of the cap/roster/chemisty ramifications.

With the former, I'd rather see us take our typical hungry underdog-styled guy that will fit the system despite no name recognition to the casual fan over an aging name that might turn a couple of heads for a few minutes. With the latter, we'll have better options than a Turgeon type of guy.

We might not make it far in the playoffs with a number 2 center (legwand), two #3's and a #4, but the right mix in a trotz system can keep us in the hunt and the options might be much better at the trade deadline to make a deal that puts us over the top.

Of course, perfect world would be a marketable name at a need position that can still play at a high level. :bow: to poile if that happens.

Anyway, this week is killing me. :shakehead #18 pick, so the draft kind of sucks until it plays out to your pick. We're not buying anyone out and we're not on any realistic rumor radar so it seems no action until next Monday.

barrytrotzsneck 07-26-2005 12:41 AM

Of course we're on the rumor radar! The sometimes-ubiquitous, always-loquacious EKLUND says that we're not going to re-sign Steve Sullivan!

:sarcasm:

vopatsrash 07-26-2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
Of course we're on the rumor radar! The sometimes-ubiquitous, always-loquacious EKLUND says that we're not going to re-sign Steve Sullivan!

:sarcasm:

Really? I wish there were a way to join his website for a small fee so I could get that rumor and more sent straight to my email every day. :propeller

golfmade 07-26-2005 02:57 AM

First off, welcome to the boards.

Secondly, I say why give up hope of landing a top flight center? I never thought that the lockout would last so long, let alone that the owners would get a cap, but look where we're at now. Of the teams in the league we have quite a bit of room to sign someone and still leave room for flexibility for later in the season.

Just keep positive, so much is going on right now and of course there are lots of rumors out and about, but rumors are just that. We just have to wait and see what comes about and hope for the best.

GPF 07-26-2005 05:08 AM

I do't think Turgeo would be a bad option for two or three years. He wasn't playing the role in Dallas he played in St. Louis and there he was -okay younger but- awsome the most time I saw him. He would be still a threat on the PP and a good fit between Sully cause of his passing abilities. And he could fill a hole for some time until some young guns will step up.

nine_inch_fang 07-28-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vopatsrash
Either we see the shocking trend of many top flight UFA's taking discounts to go to these teams and the pickings for Nashville are slim, or the media is just punch drunk and lazily putting every star in the original 6 (+ the rich and warm-weathered) without thinking of the cap/roster/chemisty ramifications.

I think the problem is that right now the hockey media doesn't have any "capologists" to figure all this stuff out.