HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Player Discussion: Let's talk about Daniel Briere #48 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1547347)

Bryson 11-27-2013 03:08 PM

Let's talk about Daniel Briere #48

With all the recent talk of trading for Vanek and Moulson we could have had a player better than both of them without giving up any assets in Jagr with his 9goals and 9 assists so far. Is next year the year we finally pick up Jagr? That's a discussion for another day.

So then I looked more closely at the player we did pick up, DANIEL BRIERE.

• He has 50 goals and 109 points in 108 career playoffs games! That's just ridiculous!
  • In 2006 he scored a career high total of 95 points!!
  • February 13, 2010 in a game in Montreal where he scored a hat trick with all goals in different situations: power-play, even strength and penalty shot against Carey Price.
  • In the 2010 Stanley Cup Final, Brière finished with 12 points (3 goals and 9 assists) – one point shy of Wayne Gretzky's record of 13 in a final, and the highest output in a final since Mario Lemieux in 1992.

So what makes Danny B such a playoff monster? How the hell did he score so many points? From what I can see he played in Philly centering a second line with Scott Hartnell and Ville Leino. There is no room for him at C here but seems to be playing well as Plekanec's wing for the time being. After an abysmal start his 4 goals, 3 assists in 14 games 0.5 PPG is starting to get on the better side of respectable. Compare that to the players we love to hate, Erik Cole 2G-7A-23GP and Michael Ryder 5G-3A-24GP and he's not doing so bad.

So how many points does Danny B have to score for you to be happy and does he have it in him to be a playoff monster for us? I would love nothing more than to eat some crow soup!

Analyzer 11-27-2013 03:13 PM

He's played well, but seems to be treated like ****. Plays well, gets shafted to the 4th line.

CP31 11-27-2013 03:14 PM

I don't mind him... lately

Pricenyuk 11-27-2013 03:15 PM

playing well... as of late

PricePkPatch 11-27-2013 03:16 PM

At least one of his goal is on an empty netter, as also one of his assist.

But I agree that maybe Briere should be.. re-evaluated by some people here. Or at least warrant a second look at his performance. Maybe he just took time to get started. Since his concussion, he's actually been effective.

attachetatuque 11-27-2013 03:20 PM

As much as I was pissed when we signed him (for various reasons: marketing purposes, small size, old age, injury prone, lack of physicality/aggressiveness, etc), I think he's been doing a good job. He's definitely picked up his game post-injury. I find he's a fast skater with dangles, breaks in the zone well and is great in offensive zone positioning. I just think his type of player is just too redundant on the Habs roster, and that's why I ripped him early on. I'm passed that though, what's done is done and if he can total around 45 points (which he is on pace for), I'll be content. I'm sort of excited to see how he performs in playoffs. Like you said, he's been a monster throughout his career. Why? he just seems to elevate his game. Now that we have three lines that can produce I think it might be difficult to contain us in a 7-game series. He'll have lots of room to play with, and won't always be paired against the best defensive players.

CP31 11-27-2013 03:33 PM

Just checked he has 666 career points

Lafleurs Guy 11-27-2013 03:34 PM

He's not what we needed. Waste of 4 million dollars.

Analyzer 11-27-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP31 (Post 75113701)

Time for him to retire.

dmanfish90 11-27-2013 03:48 PM

I've mentioned this in other threads:
  • Briere is a perennially slow starter and strong finisher (relatively speaking)
  • Briere is a streaky player
  • Briere is injury prone (due to his concussions with Philly past couple years)

Be that as it may, 1 of 2 things will happen this season:

1) Briere's season will become filled with more injuries (assumedly concussions)

2) Briere will remain relatively healthy

If we have the latter, I am going to predict one of the following:

a) Briere will continue heating up. However after the Olympic break, Danny will cool down and go back to what he was in the first few weeks of October, or...

b) Briere will be playing at the level he was before his injury until the Olympic break. After the break, he will come back energized, well rested and go on a PPGish pace tear for the final 2ish months of the season.

As i've said before in other threads, he is a perennially slow starter and a strong finisher (have had him in many fantasy pools), so I believe 2b) will happen

Milhouse40 11-27-2013 03:55 PM

If i've put Plek, Eller or DD on the wings....i wouldn't expect them to be as effective
as they are now. Same thing for Briere.

I kept thinking he was hired to play at center...i would love to see him on an offensive line!

His PO points and his season of 95 points are with him at center, not on the wing!

Impossible Glory 11-27-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 75112727)
He's played well, but seems to be treated like ****. Plays well, gets shafted to the 4th line.

Exactly. But to be fair, it's quite a luxury to have him on the fourth line with Bournival. I think it's the first time I've seen 4 lines that can actually score (although none of them can be labelled as a #1 line).

Go Habs Go 11-27-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 75113805)
Time for him to retire.

Now is the time to get full value by trading him to the Devils!

JayKing 11-27-2013 04:10 PM

Last few games he's been playing well even on the 4th line.

Narbo 11-27-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy (Post 75113795)
He's not what we needed. Waste of 4 million dollars.

We have young team and he's regarded as a very classy veteran who cares about younger players. If my memory serves correct, Sean Couturier lived with him his first year, as did many other players coming into Philly's system.

He's exactly the kind of guy we need around folks like Gallagher & Galchenyuk (and all our younger players). Someone to teach them how to be a good pro and handle all the off ice intangibles.

I agree he's under performed on the ice early on, but given his leadership abilities and past playoff performances, I'm willing to give him a full season before labeling him a waste.

Seems a tad bit harsh. He's looked much better since coming back from his concussion.

Brainiac 11-27-2013 04:17 PM

Redundant at best.

Team_Spirit 11-27-2013 04:19 PM

He would have more points if he was in DD spot and if DD gtfo.

Lafleurs Guy 11-27-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narbo (Post 75115489)
We have young team and he's regarded as a very classy veteran who cares about younger players. If my memory serves correct, Sean Couturier lived with him his first year, as did many other players coming into Philly's system.

He's exactly the kind of guy we need around folks like Gallagher & Galchenyuk (and all our younger players). Someone to teach them how to be a good pro and handle all the off ice intangibles.

We have guys who can do this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narbo (Post 75115489)
I agree he's under performed on the ice early on, but given his leadership abilities and past playoff performances, I'm willing to give him a full season before labeling him a waste.

Seems a tad bit harsh. He's looked much better since coming back from his concussion.

I don't give a **** how he performs. He's not what we needed. Even if he has a decent year, he's too small and injury prone. We have enough small forwards in the lineup we didn't need to add another one. A big winger would've helped, a solid number 3 blueliner would've helped. Instead we got more of what we should be trying to get rid of.

habsfanatics 11-27-2013 04:53 PM

I'd trade him for absolutely nothing.

RealityBytes 11-27-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP31 (Post 75113701)

How many concussions has he had?

PricePkPatch 11-27-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy (Post 75117035)
We have guys who can do this.

I don't give a **** how he performs. He's not what we needed. Even if he has a decent year, he's too small and injury prone. We have enough small forwards in the lineup we didn't need to add another one. A big winger would've helped, a solid number 3 blueliner would've helped. Instead we got more of what we should be trying to get rid of.

You are too extremist and inflexible in your opinion. Who says something like "I will hate him even if he has a decent year".

Guess what; if he has a decent year, it means we'll have had a pretty good goalscorer at a pretty good discount, when you look at the UFA market. And that's pretty nice in my book.

MDN 11-27-2013 05:01 PM

He's been playing really well since his return from the concussion, but grossly misused by MT when he's put on the 4th line.

Tyson 11-27-2013 05:10 PM

I was not a fan of bringing him to Montreal but he is starting to get in a groove and looks better and better. Expecting a big game from the former Sabre tonight.

HabsProspectsExpert 11-27-2013 05:19 PM

The UFA that I was personally targeting this sumer, considering our needs, cap space and free agent market, was Viktor Stalberg; a big fast winger that can relatively produce offensively. But I have to admit that considering he is only 18-2-3-5 so far, Briere doesn't seems that bad of a signing. * Stalberg cost 1 less million per season than Briere but has a 4 years contract.

Habs8517 11-27-2013 05:29 PM

I dont give a damn about him. He is a failure, a washed player who was signed just because he can speak french.

His only saving grace is if he leads the Habs to the Stanley Cup or make the Habs so bad that they tank for 2 years. Anything else is just a colossal epic fail.