HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Modano a Flyer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=154767)

blah 07-26-2005 05:56 PM

Modano a Flyer?

Modano added that if he leaves Dallas, he'd like to stay in the Pacific Division or go to Philadelphia, where former Stars coach Ken Hitchcock is behind the bench.

"Working with him was the best thing for me, so I'd look at that if they were interested," Modano said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.d1da0bf.html

Brad* 07-26-2005 06:07 PM

I'm sure people will be in here saying "but we already have centers!" but quite simply, I think you would make room for a player of that caliber. As you would with Forsberg.

Rex88 07-26-2005 06:52 PM

If Modano comes cheap - OK.
He has made huge bucks and if he wants to be here in the new cap era then great at a severe reduction -eg. Handzus money.
If that were to happen then Zus would likely be dealt but a possible scenario all the same.

All depends on money and who Hitch/BC would favour between those two at this point.

mercury 07-26-2005 06:55 PM

Modano at $3 million, and Zeus to another team for a top 4 defenseman and a pick/prospect/role player would not be a horrible idea. I thought Modano and Hitch were not fond of one another, though.

RJ8812 07-26-2005 06:59 PM

no thank you

Rex88 07-26-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no thank you

Thanks for the insight.

JayPSU 07-26-2005 07:20 PM

Depends on the price. Like someone else said, at 3 mil/year for 2 years I'd do it and then move Handzus for a d-man. But he's not worth breaking the bank.

Jester 07-26-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury
Modano at $3 million, and Zeus to another team for a top 4 defenseman and a pick/prospect/role player would not be a horrible idea. I thought Modano and Hitch were not fond of one another, though.

i would DEFINITELY make that move...

i think that was over blown, i know that Modano called Hitch when he came to philly to make a joke about coaching Roenick who avoided Dallas when he was a UFA because of Hitch.

Brad* 07-26-2005 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no thank you

And why not? He's still been a 30 goal, 70 point, good two way player almost every year of his career, and many times better.

FlyersHomer DM03 07-26-2005 09:43 PM

every time i read a michal handzus trade possibility, my nerves grow a little shorter...

FlyersProspect2 07-26-2005 09:51 PM

I think I would take a pass as well. We already have more than enough centers. Let the young guys play.

King Fish 07-26-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
every time i read a michal handzus trade possibility, my nerves grow a little shorter...

My smile gets a little wider! :D

Rails 07-26-2005 11:39 PM

Weren't we all amazed at how well Knuble played with Modano at the World Championships? I'd do it.

GoneFullHextall 07-26-2005 11:41 PM

Im more worried about getting the kids signed then how Pronger,Modano, Demitra ect. would look on the Flyers.

VaFlyer 07-27-2005 07:26 AM

The kids are signed. Reported today in the Courier Post

Coburnfan05 07-27-2005 07:50 AM

Sure we have enough centers...but he would become our #1...He is better then any Center on our current team.

Dr Love 07-27-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
I'm sure people will be in here saying "but we already have centers!" but quite simply, I think you would make room for a player of that caliber. As you would with Forsberg.

44 points in 76 games last year. I'd take him at the right price--dirt cheap--but I'm not then moving Handzus simply because I have Modano.

Rabid Ranger 07-27-2005 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
44 points in 76 games last year. I'd take him at the right price--dirt cheap--but I'm not then moving Handzus simply because I have Modano.

Modano isn't going to come cheaply, regardless of how poorly he played last season (which was for a variety of reasons). As for your second point, you might not move Handzus if the Flyers land Modano, but you can bet Clarke would seriously consider it.

Dr Love 07-27-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Modano isn't going to come cheaply, regardless of how poorly he played last season (which was for a variety of reasons).

I never said he would. I said I'd sign him if he came cheaply.

Quote:

As for your second point, you might not move Handzus if the Flyers land Modano, but you can bet Clarke would seriously consider it.
I'm not Clarke though, so I can have a differing opinion.

GKJ 07-27-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Modano isn't going to come cheaply, regardless of how poorly he played last season (which was for a variety of reasons). As for your second point, you might not move Handzus if the Flyers land Modano, but you can bet Clarke would seriously consider it.

Well then I'd pass

GoneFullHextall 07-27-2005 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer
The kids are signed. Reported today in the Courier Post

there signed or they were sent offer sheets? Because I have not seen anything official yet.

Roger's Pancreas* 07-27-2005 02:25 PM

The only reason Modano should be signed is his ability to compete come playoffs. Last year we got to the playoffs with every line capable of scoring and instead had some very important people not come through. Maybe Mike could help us out but I'm not holding my breath.

Diesel 07-27-2005 03:04 PM

I say sign Modano for 3 to 3.5 mil, Hatcher for 2 mil. Trade Handzus for another dman.

Brad* 07-27-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love

Last year was a bad season, but he's had a career full of what I described. Look at his seens under Hitch, for example.

flyersrock1 07-27-2005 11:37 PM

Please stop trading Handz. He will be our #2 man this year. He is big, tuff, and hockey smart. Everything Mr. Clarke loves.