HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Clarke talking to Habs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15485)

jamison flyer 09-29-2003 06:35 PM

Clarke talking to Habs?

Ron Fournier is reporting that there is "heavy talks" between Gm Bob Gainey and Gm Bob Clarke .. Gainey is inquiring about the services of 6'5 centre Keith Primeau. It is believed that Perrault might be part of the deal

panayiotis 09-29-2003 10:31 PM

bad source

Fournier was a terrible ref. He has a joke of show in Montreal. Perrault is half the player Primeau is.

Teezax 09-30-2003 04:10 AM

This team loses Primeau we'll be just as good as MTL is right now.
And that spells trouble. They're a good team but way too small and no emotion...good to bring in Gainey, and Primeau is definitely a Gainey type player but Perrault is not a Hitchcock guy, the offer would have to be more enticing. a.k.a Garon and extras

mcphee 09-30-2003 05:23 AM

Obviously Perreault makes no sense. Are the Flyers looking to shed salary ? Is Primeau out of favor? I'd prefer to see him lining up against the large centers in the league than what the Habs have, but I don't see what the Habs have that would interest Clarke. Trading prospects doesn't make sense for Mtl. because it isn't as if Primeau is the one guy that would push us over the top. A Fournier rumor usually consists of him saying that Mtl. needs a guy like Handzus or Primeau, maybe Garon would get him. It goes from speculation to negotiation at warp speed.
Aren't the Flyers high on some young goalie prospects in the system ?

Blindside9711 09-30-2003 07:36 AM

I don't see Perreault coming to Philly and I don't see Preems going to Montreal. I could see Therien or Ragnarsson going to Montreal though. Hard to say what would come back aside from picks, if anything else. I say send Creampuff Chris and Big Useless Brashear to the Habs for either Corey Locke or a 2nd round pick.
Chris Therien is easily replaceable with any of our 4 young d-men down the road and moving Brashear is just addition by subtraction. Fridge is a far superior skater and overall athlete to Big Useless and is a better fighter. Fedoruk knows his role and plays it well, whereas Big Useless pretty much just skates around aimlessly or falls on the ice when an opponent happens to find himself as far out of the play as Big Useless is.

Cross Out The Eyes* 09-30-2003 07:46 AM

Comparing Fedoruk to Brashear is laughable.

If nothing else Brashear is a proven top 3 enforcer, 25-30 point guy, and an NHL'er period. I guess guys like that are useless now all of a sudden.

Fedoruk hasn't even proven he is anything more than a fringe NHL'er. I guess guys like that are useful though.

Saying Fedoruk is a better fighter is even funnier. Brashear would eat Fridge for lunch. Brashear is a top 3 fighter in this league without a doubt. Fedoruk MIGHT just crack the top 10, more like somewhere between 10-15.

He has gotten every chance possible to be a regular over the last two years, and has failed to secure a spot. Hitch hyped him up like crazy last year, and gave him a golden chance to be a regular, and he couldn't even play regularly until there were about a million injuries. Sacco and Ranheim got the nod over him at times for god sakes.

I know some people don't LIKE Brashear, but they shouldn't let that get in the way of their judgment. Fedoruk is nowhere near the player Brashear is, in EVERY facet of the game.

Your opinions on this topic are just plain ludicrous.

Blindside9711 09-30-2003 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross Out The Eyes
Comparing Fedoruk to Brashear is laughable.

If nothing else Brashear is a proven top 3 enforcer, 25-30 point guy, and an NHL'er period. I guess guys like that are useless now all of a sudden.

Fedoruk hasn't even proven he is anything more than a fringe NHL'er. I guess guys like that are useful though.

Saying Fedoruk is a better fighter is even funnier. Brashear would eat Fridge for lunch. Brashear is a top 3 fighter in this league without a doubt. Fedoruk MIGHT just crack the top 10, more like somewhere between 10-15.

He has gotten every chance possible to be a regular over the last two years, and has failed to secure a spot. Hitch hyped him up like crazy last year, and gave him a golden chance to be a regular, and he couldn't even play regularly until there were about a million injuries. Sacco and Ranheim got the nod over him at times for god sakes.

I know some people don't LIKE Brashear, but they shouldn't let that get in the way of their judgment. Fedoruk is nowhere near the player Brashear is, in EVERY facet of the game.

Your opinions on this topic are just plain ludicrous.

My opinions on this topic are based on the games I see. Most recently I watched the Philly-Washington exhibition up here in London where both Fridge and Brash were both in the lineup. I watched Fedoruk go out and skate hard, hit people hard and he beat Stephen Peat (another good young knuckle-chucker) pretty handily in a fight. Fridge hit people and they went down, Brashear tried to hit opponents but he went down. His balance sucks, that is when he's not tripping over his own skate laces. He usually is so far out of the play that you can't tell he's even on the ice. (Most of the times it's actually for the better). If Brash is such a great enforcer, why doesn't he do more enforcing? How many times did he back up his yapping in the playoffs last year? I know fighting's not at a premium in the post-season, but still, I don't think he even went once with anyone. Heck, even the rookie Vandermeer fought against T.O. Brashear takes silly penalties and tries to make fancy plays that everyone knows he's incapable of. If given the choice between the two, I'd pick Fridge every time because he knows his role and he plays it well, bottom line. This team needs a guy that will clobber anyone that goes near our stars. What did Bergevin get after he put Leclair on the shelf? A free skate back to his bench. Something like that can't go unavenged. As a team, the Flyers have lost the intimidation we once had. Either the players have to make an effort to get it back, or the management has to get new players that will make the effort. In my opinion, Brashear doesn't do that for us. We have too many forwards as it is, and everyone else, aside from maybe Leclair, has a role on the team. Moving Brashear opens up doors for the younger guys like Fridge and Chouinard. But then again, if we're comfortable with having incompetent **** like Brashear help to carry our team into the next few years, then who am I to judge, right? :dunno:

Dr Love 09-30-2003 08:42 AM

First it was Garon. Now it's Perrault. The only thing Perrault does better than Primeau is take face offs, and even then it's not a giant gap between the two in skill. Other than that, Primeau is a much much better player in every way shape and form. This is nothing more than a BS rumor.

Dykhuis26 09-30-2003 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
First it was Garon. Now it's Perrault. The only thing Perrault does better than Primeau is take face offs, and even then it's not a giant gap between the two in skill. Other than that, Primeau is a much much better player in every way shape and form. This is nothing more than a BS rumor.

Perrault has proven year in and year out that he's the one of the best, if not the best, face-off man in the NHL. That being said, he's not near the player Primeau is, so the trade wouldn't be straight up. Maybe if you include Dykhuis and send Therien over there. :handclap:

Dr Love 09-30-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dykhuis26
Perrault has proven year in and year out that he's the one of the best, if not the best, face-off man in the NHL. That being said, he's not near the player Primeau is, so the trade wouldn't be straight up. Maybe if you include Dykhuis and send Therien over there. :handclap:

As I said, Perrault is better, but Primeau is no slouch. And that's all that he has over Primeau.

Brisebois 09-30-2003 12:32 PM

Well, word is floating around on the Canadiens forum now On this page that the deal is:

To Philadephia:

Perreault, Garon and Jason Ward

To Montreal:

Primeau, Esche and Fedoruk

Personally I doubt it will happen, but go ahead and discuss. :)

SouthFlyer82 09-30-2003 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Well, word is floating around on the Canadiens forum now On this page that the deal is:

To Philadephia:

Perreault, Garon and Jason Ward

To Montreal:

Primeau, Esche and Fedoruk

It won't happen, there not a chance. I flyers do not need Perreault, Garon or Ward. The only thing the Flyers would be looking for would be a sniper or a top flight goalie. They are not going to give up Primeau to get Perreault.

BrindA17 10-01-2003 03:35 AM

Hmmm....Yanic Perreault, eh?

Well, he has been THE best Face-off man for 2 years running. He also has out-scored Keith Primeau (27 and 24 goals to Primeau's two 19's) the last two seasons. It's one to think about, if you ask me.

Stonehands77 10-01-2003 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
Hmmm....Yanic Perreault, eh?

Well, he has been THE best Face-off man for 2 years running. He also has out-scored Keith Primeau (27 and 24 goals to Primeau's two 19's) the last two seasons. It's one to think about, if you ask me.

You cannot be serious about this. Perreault is soft and not very good defensively. Yes, he can score, but look at all the ice time he gets in Montreal. He would not get that much here, and thus his scoring would drop. And he is DEFINITELY NOT a Hitchcock-style player.

Besides, Primeau is the third line, shutdown center. Who moves into that role when Primeau is gone? You've got Handzus (who's teamed with Gagne and Williams, a line that Hitch apparently likes, and this sure as heck isn't a checking line), Roenick, Lapointe, and Perreault then. Uhh, I guess it would be Handzus, but then you'd have to rearrange everything. And pair Gagne and Williams with Perreault? Ugh, talk about a line that will have issues defensively.

No, I cannot see this as a move forward for the Flyers. They improve slightly in the faceoff circle, but lose hustle, grit, and defensive ability. The offensive step up is not enough to make up for the loss in defensive play, IMHO. I'd turn it down, and chuckle about it while doing it.

BrindA17 10-01-2003 12:47 PM

Relax now, it's a thought.

I'll try to reason with you: Handzus is a fine third line center. Why not put him there? LeClair just can't seem to find chemistry with any of our centermen. Primeau and LeClair flat-out doesn't work, as both Barber and Hitchcock have discovered. And LeClair playing on the fourth line just doesn't make sense (maybe until he's 100%).

So, in conclusion, why not get Perreault? He just might help LeClair and help define our lines a bit more. And what better way to improve your powerplay than getting the best odds possible when it comes to winning faceoffs in the offensive zone? This guy will win the draws, it's a certain.

I know he has some weaknesses, but who doesn't? And if you're looking for someone who can carry their regular season performance into the playoffs, look no further.

Check out these lines, they're pretty good IMHO:
Gagne-Roenick-Amonte
LeClair-Perreault-Recchi
Kapanen-Handzus-Williams
Brashear-Lapointe-Somik

Of course, you can switch things up like this:
Recchi-Roenick-Amonte
Gagne-Handzus-Williams
LeClair-Perreault-Kapanen
Brashear-Lapointe-Somik

Anyway, stay calm, I did not launch an A-bomb or anything. No need to jump down my throat or on my back (pick a cliche).

If you can HONESTLY look at those lines and dislike them, then I guess it isn't a good idea after all.

Green Mile 10-01-2003 12:56 PM

How much does Perrault make, anyway?

kherninko 10-01-2003 01:29 PM

Two words separate Brashear and Fedoruk when all is said and done:

Stupid penalties

If we can find a taker for Brashear at his salary...don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

I'm sick of seeing defenseman, which we have 6 of per game spend 5 minutes in the penalty box instead of a forward which we have 12 of.

blah 10-01-2003 01:43 PM

Perreault isn't better than any of the Flyers centers. Why any of you want him is beyond me. It'd be a stupid trade to make. You don't deal your captain for an ok 3rd line C.

BrindA17 10-01-2003 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Perreault isn't better than any of the Flyers centers. Why any of you want him is beyond me. It'd be a stupid trade to make. You don't deal your captain for an ok 3rd line C.

Captains are tradeable, it's been done. And our current captain is "an ok 3rd line C". Perreault might not be better, but at least there's a chance that he and LeClair will click. Too much talent is going to be wasted on the 4th line if something isn't done.

Dr Love 10-01-2003 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
Captains are tradeable, it's been done. And our current captain is "an ok 3rd line C". Perreault might not be better, but at least there's a chance that he and LeClair will click. Too much talent is going to be wasted on the 4th line if something isn't done.

You underrate Primeau. How is there a chance that Perrault "will click with LeClair"? Other than they're both not very good in their own zone and have gaping flaws in their game, there is no guarantee. No one in camp has been able to, why would suddenly a new player do so? When's the last time a captain got traded outside of the player being on the last legs of his career?

Green Mile 10-01-2003 03:11 PM

Alright, Perreault makes $2.8 million. Primeau a cool 5 million. 5 million for a third line center? That doesn't sit well with me. I know Perreault is pretty soft, but he has shown over the past couple years the ability to produce more points. And is Primeau really captain-defense? He works hard but he isn't very fast. A good checker he is, but not the smartest player, imo.

I don't know, I might be biased because I think I expected more from the 'captain' after his Bill Barber tirade. Not that his comments were the most awful ones ever made, but I felt as though he had a lot to prove and I don't really think he was all that great.

Toonces 10-01-2003 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Mile
He works hard but he isn't very fast. A good checker he is, but not the smartest player, imo.

I'm hardly a Primeau supporter, but I feel the need to mention that Keith is actually quite a fast skater. He might not be the prettiest skater on the team, but he had no problems keeping up with Sundin last playoffs.

RoDu 10-01-2003 05:18 PM

Primeau doesn't look fast alone, but alongside others he looks pretty fast for a big man, he just has really long strides, and yeah, not a pretty skater, but effective

blah 10-01-2003 05:28 PM

Perrault isn't even better than an injured LeClair. Clarke would have to be fairly drunk to pull the trigger on a Prims for Perrault trade no matter who the throw ins are.

blah 10-01-2003 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
I'm hardly a Primeau supporter, but I feel the need to mention that Keith is actually quite a fast skater. He might not be the prettiest skater on the team, but he had no problems keeping up with Sundin last playoffs.

Exactly he's no Fedorov but he's no slouch either.