HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Which NHL Players use the Hall/Sakic curve? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1550151)

SergeiMakarovStyle 12-01-2013 03:47 PM

Which NHL Players use the Hall/Sakic curve?
 
1. Which NHL Players/Great NHL players use the Hall/Sakic curve?

2. Why has Hall the honor of having his name used at this curve? I understand Sakic cause hes a legend but Hall is not that good yet. Is Hall the best player that uses that curve or what?

3. Im a forward and my style of play is playmaker/Sniper, does this curve suit me or should I try other curves too? What curves could be better for me?

Thanks!

YMCMBYOLO 12-01-2013 03:57 PM

Backstrom uses the Hall curve, mind you it is called differently (P92 curve).

The hall/P92 curve is deadly for snap/wrist shots, but be aware that they can fly over the net pretty easily.

snizzbone* 12-01-2013 04:46 PM

It's the most common curve I'd think. Pretty neutral of a curve. Stamkos uses a slightly modified version and Adam Oates has basically all his players switch to Stamkos' curve.

Clarkington III 12-01-2013 07:52 PM

1. A lot of players. Fairly common curve, especially when you include it's variants.

2. Because he is signed with Easton and is a prominent name.

3. You should use whatever you are more comfortable wkth.

AIREAYE 12-01-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitbtw (Post 75358633)
1. A lot of players. Fairly common curve, especially when you include it's variants.

2. Because he is signed with Easton and is a prominent name.

3. You should use whatever you are more comfortable wkth.

Bang on.

1. You see many players use that curve of its variant these days, especially many of the guys south of 30 to put an arbitrary gap, because many of them grew up using and liking that curve. Before, you would see many more Drury or even Getzlaf type (Parise, E5 etc) curves because those guys grew up using them more. We have many many different pro stock sticks at my store, many of them are P92 or close to it.

2. Easton is not using player names anymore, but that would be the reason. Hall is actually in all Bauer except for his stick.

Terry Yake 12-01-2013 10:55 PM

i'd assume a pretty high number of NHL'ers use the hall/sakic curve

that's the curve i'm assuming most of the younger generation grew up with

Greasy Sliders 12-01-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 75367541)
Bang on.

1. You see many players use that curve of its variant these days, especially many of the guys south of 30 to put an arbitrary gap, because many of them grew up using and liking that curve. Before, you would see many more Drury or even Getzlaf type (Parise, E5 etc) curves because those guys grew up using them more. We have many many different pro stock sticks at my store, many of them are P92 or close to it.

2. Easton is not using player names anymore, but that would be the reason. Hall is actually in all Bauer except for his stick.

I actually heard he used Bauer sticks painted Easton colour. Don't quote me though.

AIREAYE 12-02-2013 08:45 AM

Doesn't work that way.

Jarick 12-02-2013 12:11 PM

Back in the day when guys were using wood sticks, a lot of guys used to tweak and make their own curves, so you'd have guys using curves all over the map. But the young players today learned on retail curves, especially the P92/Sakic pattern. You're seeing a lot more players using patterns much closer to retail (P92, P88, PM9, P91, etc) or slightly tweaked versions.

kr580 12-02-2013 06:17 PM

1. Who uses the actual retail pattern? Probably not many. There are a ton that use exaggerated versions of it. Most all pro players have fully customized blade patterns.

2. It's not an honor, it's marketing. Hall is one of the faces of Easton so they put his name on it so all the kids buy it to be as good as Hall. In case you were wondering, generally, the pros who have their name attached to a pattern don't actually use that pattern.

3. It's 100% personal preference. It's up to you to try out various blade patterns and form your own opinions on them.

Timmer44 12-02-2013 06:25 PM

I actually met Sakic and I mentioned I only use his pattern. He said that it more curved than the one he used. It's just marketing. Anyone who uses the pattern knows that the one in this photo is definitely different.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...02olympics.jpg

AIREAYE 12-02-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 75399759)
1. Who uses the actual retail pattern? Probably not many. There are a ton that use exaggerated versions of it. Most all pro players have fully customized blade patterns.

Are you just guessing?

Jarick 12-03-2013 10:03 AM

I suppose for the people who didn't know, the player names for retail patterns are just for marketing purposes and almost never match what the player actually uses.

Sakic's actual pattern is closer to a tweaked PM9.

JaeTM 12-03-2013 10:26 AM

Just trying to get an idea what the equivalent is for other brands for the Hall/Sakic curve?

I think it's:

Easton: Hall
CCM: Nugent-Hopkins
Reebok: Crosby
Bauer: Backstrom
Warrior: Kovalchuk (???) (And who would it be now if it was Kovy?)

Jarick 12-03-2013 10:49 AM

Bauer = P92
CCM = Nugent Hopkins
Easton = E3
Reebok = P87
Sherwood = PP26
Warrior = W03

Really, they should all just adopt variations on Bauer's naming scheme (PM9, P92, P88, etc). Would be so much easier.

jsykes 12-03-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaeTM (Post 75436425)
Just trying to get an idea what the equivalent is for other brands for the Hall/Sakic curve?

I think it's:

Easton: Hall
CCM: Nugent-Hopkins
Reebok: Crosby
Bauer: Backstrom
Warrior: Kovalchuk (???) (And who would it be now if it was Kovy?)

All correct except Warrior is the Henrique, formerly the Kopitar, formerly the Draper, formerly the Toews, formerly the Draper.

Shaun Bisson 12-03-2013 12:51 PM

I was using a PM9 (Stamkos curve) until yesterday when I switched from Bauer to CCM. I'm using the Nugent-Hopkins curve now and it's no wonder it seems to be the most popular curve for variants. Great for saucer passes, going high, and toe drags.

As was mentioned earlier though, it is a lot easier to shoot it a bit too high if you're not careful.

Manitoba Oilers* 12-03-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeiMakarovStyle (Post 75344379)
1. Which NHL Players/Great NHL players use the Hall/Sakic curve?

2. Why has Hall the honor of having his name used at this curve? I understand Sakic cause hes a legend but Hall is not that good yet. Is Hall the best player that uses that curve or what?

3. Im a forward and my style of play is playmaker/Sniper, does this curve suit me or should I try other curves too? What curves could be better for me?

Thanks!

Ya I guess hall being in top 10 in poins last year is nothing right
I hate the curves like his though I prefer the iggy curve

kr580 12-04-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 75400623)
Are you just guessing?

I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about but I've been through plenty of ModSquad pictures, HM pro stock charts and ebay finds and I personally don't see many retail Sakic clones.

Chau 12-04-2013 02:14 AM

If you like the Sakic try out the Kreps/E28 for a week or two and you'll love it.

Chau 12-04-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 75435623)
I suppose for the people who didn't know, the player names for retail patterns are just for marketing purposes and almost never match what the player actually uses.

Sakic's actual pattern is closer to a tweaked PM9.

Here's a pic of his pro curve:

http://imgur.com/kaeCMxw

The angle on the picture is horrible but my Trochek 20k is pretty similar:

http://imgur.com/BsseNZl

thevil 12-04-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 75400623)
Are you just guessing?

Go look at the pro stock sticks on hockey monkey sometime. Those are all very customized. He is right.

AIREAYE 12-04-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevil (Post 75500125)
Go look at the pro stock sticks on hockey monkey sometime. Those are all very customized. He is right.

Not necessarily, those are too small of a sample. While many players can and do get custom molds done up, a great many more use retail equivalents.

In addition to the ones he's seen, I've dealt with several hundreds of pro stock sticks at work from all brands. My impression is that which I outlined above.

vapor11 12-04-2013 02:09 PM

Grew up with the sakic.. Switched to the Kane p88 curve for a while but now back with the p92 backstrom and it's so much easier to toe drag

jsykes 12-05-2013 11:47 AM

I dont know, I've seen very few pro sticks that were exact retail equals. On some, the curve may be very similar if not exact to retail, but they'll have the lie, rocker or toe shape altered. I dont see many exact retail copies out there in the pro ranks.

Of course not all have their own custom made up, many players use another players stick and like it and then use the same pattern. But I'd venture to say that more players have some kind of customization done to their pattern then dont.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.