HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1551087)

Canadiens1958 12-02-2013 10:12 PM

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Time for a fresh thread. Link to previous here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099867

Shaun Bisson 12-02-2013 11:07 PM

CarpeNoctem asked me in the last thread if the RBZ 90 was stiff enough for me. I wish it was a little bit stiffer, but it wasn't something that I noticed tremendously tonight. I feel that unless you're making some stupid Datsyuk like movements, you should be fine in them.

I do wish they didnt give as long of laces though. Had to switch them out with my Graf laces.

Calvin123 12-03-2013 01:53 PM

Any suggestions on a replacement for my CCM Vector 6.0's. My toe is wide compared to my very, very narrow heel. Any suggestions on a skate with similar fit, that might be more durable?

Details:

My last two skates have been CCM vector 6.0s, with my current pair being 3 or 4 years old.
They fit me perfectly, but, they have broken down extremely quickly, with signficant work being required to keep them going after only about a year. Specifically on both of them the foot base has cracked into many pieces .

I'm just an overweight middle aged guy, but I play 4 times a week, year around, with another 3-4 hours of coaching ice time a week, so the skates see a fair amount of use.

AIREAYE 12-03-2013 02:11 PM

Hey Calvin, CCM skates were sub-par ever since the Tacks generations until recently with the RBZ line. I suggest you try there. Also give Bauer skates a try.

Even though you say your toes are wide, they may be wider in certain parts compared to a skate than others. You need to try on different skates and widths to see which fits you the best.

Leaf_Crazy 12-03-2013 05:06 PM

I currently use Bauer XIII's size 10.5 EE.

I busted the blade on my right skate. The blade is a Tuuk Custom+ 296. I cant find these blades anywhere.... and if I do, its at a ridiculous price. I got these skates for $100 and they are 3 years old so I'm not looking to spend $60 on blades.

What would be a comparable feeling skate to these? And whats the best store to get a deal these days in the Greater Toronto Area?

CarpeNoctem 12-03-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson (Post 75424929)
CarpeNoctem asked me in the last thread if the RBZ 90 was stiff enough for me. I wish it was a little bit stiffer, but it wasn't something that I noticed tremendously tonight. I feel that unless you're making some stupid Datsyuk like movements, you should be fine in them.

I do wish they didnt give as long of laces though. Had to switch them out with my Graf laces.

Thanks for your thoughts on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin123 (Post 75448999)
Any suggestions on a replacement for my CCM Vector 6.0's. My toe is wide compared to my very, very narrow heel. Any suggestions on a skate with similar fit, that might be more durable?

Details:

My last two skates have been CCM vector 6.0s, with my current pair being 3 or 4 years old.
They fit me perfectly, but, they have broken down extremely quickly, with signficant work being required to keep them going after only about a year. Specifically on both of them the foot base has cracked into many pieces .

I'm just an overweight middle aged guy, but I play 4 times a week, year around, with another 3-4 hours of coaching ice time a week, so the skates see a fair amount of use.

Wide toebox with narrow heels might make the Supreme line a good fit for you, as was said above. Also, if you're skating that much, a higher end model, not necessarily top of the line, might be a good fit.

Leaf_Crazy 12-04-2013 07:56 PM

anyone got a tuuk custom 296mm skate blade they want to donate to me? lol

They want $60 for a pair in stores and I got my skates on sale for $100. Cant justify paying that.

If nobody does, looks like ill be getting new skates!

CarpeNoctem 12-04-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy (Post 75538569)
anyone got a tuuk custom 296mm skate blade they want to donate to me? lol

They want $60 for a pair in stores and I got my skates on sale for $100. Cant justify paying that.

If nobody does, looks like ill be getting new skates!

Check out ebay, man. I'll bet they have them on there!

Leaf_Crazy 12-04-2013 08:14 PM

I found one on Ebay, 35 for a single.....and that means I wont be able to play hockey till the end of next week. =(

caz5512 12-04-2013 10:46 PM

Looking for a bit of advice on fit.

I am buying new skates because I am realizing that my current 2 yr old Easton Synergy (size 7D) are certainly to long and not wide enough. I play D-League Hockey 1-2 times per week.

I tried several skates at a local store and shortlisted the following skates.

-Bauer Supreme One.6 Size 6.5 EE
-CCM RBZ 70 Size 6 D

Both of these skates are comfortable. But my problem is that they are not, in fact, perfect. They are simply the best that I could try.

- The One.6 was a very good fit in width, but my toes don't brush up against the tip at all. They are better than my current Eastons, but I feel would ideally need a 6. They don't have the One.6 in 6EE, so I tried the One.9 in 6EE and felt a bit "squeezed". But it seemed to be a volume thing, not a foot size thing?

-Something similar happened with the RBZ 70, but worse. I feel like the 6D is a decent fit, but I get slight pressure points in the front/toebox area AND my toes don't brush up against the front. The 6EE seemed a bit too wide. The store suggested that I may be a 5.5EE in RBZ, but they didn't have this for me to try. The 5.5D didn't even come close to fitting.

So now for the questions:

1) I feel like I should get the One.6 in size 6.5EE (that feels the most comfortable). Is it a big deal that it is probably a bit too long? I don't think my foot would slide very much and the heel lock looks decent. This seems better to me than going down a size and not having enough volume or feeling tight in other places? Or does the heat moulding take care of this and the lenght is more important?

2) Could I really be a 5.5 in RBZ? Is it worth for me to hunt around town looking for a 5.5EE even if I don't come close to fitting a 5.5 D? This would mean the difference in volume in RBZ between D and EE is substantial (more so than other makes?)

At this point, it is a good thing I found this thread as I have tried so many different skates that I am getting complete decision paralysis.

Thanks

caz5512 12-05-2013 01:48 PM

Quick bump:

I don't want to be a nag, but I am really hoping to pick up the 6.5 EE ASAP or special order a pair from the very helpful LHS. But the store doesn't want to special order multiple pairs they don't keep, so which ones? Am I good to go with the comfy One.6s that I don't touch the end?

Anyone? All options welcome :)

<confused and anxious to get new skates>

AIREAYE 12-05-2013 01:55 PM

Read over my guidelines on a perfect fit for an adult. When you skate (knees bent, leaning forward) your heel always pulls back. When you bake and break in the skate, you gain a little more room as well. Based solely on what you're saying, it sounds like 6EE might be a bit better.

You could very well also be in 5.5EE RBZ, but you need to try it to be sure.

caz5512 12-05-2013 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I probably need the 6.0s and my volume concerns will be answered by the baking/breakin.

Can you confirm that it makes sense for the RBZs to be 5.5EEs and if it is normal for the volume between a 6 and 5.5 to be so drastically different? I guess I am concerned that moving down a size will make me fail the "pencil test" for boot depth? (in either skate). It is currently perfect on the Supreme and a bit on the close side for the RBZs.

CarpeNoctem 12-05-2013 06:36 PM

This isn't a reply to anyone here specifically but if you are a beginner player, do not buy top end skates. The stiffness is going to impair your agility significantly. The stiffer the boot, the more you'll have to bend your knees and aggressively hit your edges. It drives me crazy when I see novices doing this and it makes their outside edge control go from bad to non-existent.

AIREAYE 12-05-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caz5512 (Post 75584767)
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I probably need the 6.0s and my volume concerns will be answered by the baking/breakin.

Can you confirm that it makes sense for the RBZs to be 5.5EEs and if it is normal for the volume between a 6 and 5.5 to be so drastically different? I guess I am concerned that moving down a size will make me fail the "pencil test" for boot depth? (in either skate). It is currently perfect on the Supreme and a bit on the close side for the RBZs.

Regarding the CCM sizing, again, check out what I wrote in the first post of the Guide. I have found that the overall volume tradeoff between the 5.5 and 6 to be larger, consistent with most jumps from junior to senior sizes. however you still should give it a try.

CaptBrannigan 12-05-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy (Post 75539963)
I found one on Ebay, 35 for a single.....and that means I wont be able to play hockey till the end of next week. =(

I won't be back in the shop I work at until Monday but I will check for that steel if you'd like. That way you have extras and we're trying to clear out the old stuff. I'll let you know either way' PM me if you'd like so I remember lol.

Propane Nightmares 12-06-2013 08:09 AM

Just ordered a pair of these

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/reebok-s...iE4493373.html

Any other goalies have experience with them? Right now I use the old 5k pumps (They've lasted since 2008 and still going!) so I'm assuming these will be fairly similar

manderson528 12-09-2013 08:31 PM

Today I went in and got fitted into some new skates, and they had very few to try on that fit my foot. I have a wide foot with pretty high arches so volume is an issue. The skates that I ended up trying on were Vapor x70 size 7ee, which felt like I could do because the volume was there but maybe just a tad long/narrow. Then I tried on the nexus 6.5d and the width was there but the depth was horrible.

Would a 6.5 EE Nexus have a considerable more amount of volume that just the D width? Or would it be that bad to get a 7 EE to make sure I have that volume?

AIREAYE 12-09-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares (Post 75639091)
Just ordered a pair of these

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/reebok-s...iE4493373.html

Any other goalies have experience with them? Right now I use the old 5k pumps (They've lasted since 2008 and still going!) so I'm assuming these will be fairly similar

We have a bunch of them and they're a go to mid-end skate. I'm not a goalie, but from what I can gauge, they seem solid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manderson528 (Post 75872403)
Today I went in and got fitted into some new skates, and they had very few to try on that fit my foot. I have a wide foot with pretty high arches so volume is an issue. The skates that I ended up trying on were Vapor x70 size 7ee, which felt like I could do because the volume was there but maybe just a tad long/narrow. Then I tried on the nexus 6.5d and the width was there but the depth was horrible.

Would a 6.5 EE Nexus have a considerable more amount of volume that just the D width? Or would it be that bad to get a 7 EE to make sure I have that volume?

Get the correct length first. If you go too long, you could run into other problems later on. Any chance of trying Vapor in 6.5EE? Any chance of trying other skates like Bauer Supreme? CCM? Reebok?

manderson528 12-09-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 75873205)
Get the correct length first. If you go too long, you could run into other problems later on. Any chance of trying Vapor in 6.5EE? Any chance of trying other skates like Bauer Supreme? CCM? Reebok?

Yeah I just went by what they had in the store. They didn't have hardly any EE widths for me to try on, I was honestly disappointed. The only EE width they had in my size was that size 7 x70. I just dont have the luxury of trying on the skates before either the LHS or I order them. Im wondering if theres considerably more volume to the 6.5 EE as apposed to the D Nexus?

AIREAYE 12-09-2013 09:37 PM

No one can tell you for sure, but it might allow your foot to sit down a little further, with less 'lifting' due to the narrowness. I really do urge you to try on other skates though, maybe take a day trip during the holidays somewhere?

Doesn't Players Bench have a big box in CO?

Watch for the Yeti 12-20-2013 11:17 PM

I have had around 8 practices with my RBZ 40s, and I am thinking I have to upgrade. I think they could be prohibiting my skating ability (could just be psycological). What do you guys suggest ? Hopefully I make alot of money during christmas, and will be able to purchase a new pair. My limit will probably be $200, I am going to use that $200 to buy the skates instead of a new stick, even though my stick isn't long enough for me and it's a little too whippy. What do you guys suggest for skates? I am looking for a skate that will mold to my feet very well after baking, and is stiff and has good support. I want a light skate, etc.

Hopefully this will help my skating ability, as I heard from numerous people that purcasing new skates can change your ability overnight. If you guys don't think it will make a big difference, please let me know as I can use the money somewhere else (like a stick).

I am not sure if I am considered a beginner, I played 7 years before a 5 year layoff. I am 16 now, so the last time I played before this year was 11. I saw someone post in the thread that beginners shouldn't buy top end skates, I don't know if I am considered a beginner or what is considered a top end skate.

I have found 5 skates that I am interested in.

Bauer Vapor X5.0
Bauer Vapor x60
CCM RBZ 70
Bauer Nexus 400
Bauer Nexus 600

What do you guys think are the best for me and do you have any other suggestions?

AIREAYE 12-22-2013 10:02 PM

Like with all skate questions, you should pick the one that fits best. In terms of level of skate, I think any of those listed would do quite well. Once you hit those mid ranges, the skates could really start to mold better around your foot.

If you're on a budget, I would always suggest sourcing out clearance models, such as the X5.0, which are going to be the stiffest and most supportive skate of the bunch. Why not try some Supreme/Eastons/Reeboks? The Supreme and Nexus lines should soon/already be on sale as the new lines for them come out this spring.

Watch for the Yeti 12-25-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 76651313)
Like with all skate questions, you should pick the one that fits best. In terms of level of skate, I think any of those listed would do quite well. Once you hit those mid ranges, the skates could really start to mold better around your foot.

If you're on a budget, I would always suggest sourcing out clearance models, such as the X5.0, which are going to be the stiffest and most supportive skate of the bunch. Why not try some Supreme/Eastons/Reeboks? The Supreme and Nexus lines should soon/already be on sale as the new lines for them come out this spring.

So do you think the mid-range skate models will improve my skating ? I am currently using a really low end model (CCM RBZ 40) and I am very slow.

AIREAYE 12-25-2013 10:03 PM

More skating and practices will improve your skating. Don't use your gear as a crutch, it's not the right approach.