HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   New Here, First Post, My Take... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15516)

TubbyTerrion* 09-29-2003 09:39 PM

New Here, First Post, My Take...
 
I've been addicted to LGK for a while, and never actually crossed over to a second message board. A friend of mine suggested I read some of the threads, and I realized there were some quality posts/posters that were worth checking out.

I think this is going to be another tough season for the Kings, and I think we are going to see a revolving door of fringe players, not unlike last year. This year however, it may be more performance related than injury related, as because we have so much more depth at each position, the coaching staff and DT may decide to be a little quicker with the trigger finger when the Manchester shuttle begins its run between California and New Hampshire.

You'll see three goaltenders in a Kings uniform this season: Cechmanek, Huet and Hnilicka... RC and CH will most probably start the season as 1-2, but expect MH to get a call once in a while when it's time to get CH some more work, and get sharp after sitting on the bench for long stretches.

On defense there are about 10 to 12 guys who will end up having at least a cup of Starbucks with the big club. That's actually either a lot or too many, depending on if your coffee cup is half empty or half full! Guys like Muir and Holland will get the occasional game in when the club needs a guy with experience, and guys like Corvo, Strbak, Gleason, Zizka, Grebeshkov and Kuznetzov will alternately have spells of solid play and youthful (and NHL) inexperience and inconsistency. The core of Norstrom, Modry, Miller and Visnovsky will need to stay healthy to avoid long stretches of play from any of the "depth guys." So far, two of the four have missed enough time in training camp to make you wonder if we're going to see more of Gleason and Strbak than we should. Both could be NHL caliber, but neither are probably NHL ready. A year in Manchester would be a blessing. Throw Brad Norton into the mix, but remember he's only played about 30 NHL games (Fla and LA) at defense, and last year the team questioned his ability (foot speed) to play the position at the NHL level.

Up front, we know the big question marks... Deader and Ally.... deader than ever? or Alive and thriving? Time will tell, but unless you look good in blue... don't hold your breath through October... (or November...) Ziggy, Luc, Frolov, Armstrong, Belanger, Lappy, Klatt, Avery and Stumpel are pretty much a given, with slots 10-12 being fought for by a number of marginal guys. Jon Sim, Jerrod Smithson, Lubos Bartecko, Ryan Flinn, Kip Brennan, Brad Chartrand, and Esa Pirnes are all in camp, and hanging by a thread. We know one of Flinn and/or Brennan will break camp with the big club, but not both. We have to assume that the rest all believe they have a reason to be here, but that the majority of them will start the year with Manchester. Throw in injured Mike Cammalleri, who probably would have started the season on a line with Robitaille and Armstrong, had he not found himself sidelined for the first month of the season, and add the youthful exhuberance of first round draft choice Dustin Brown, and you have a large mix of forwards vying for the remaining ice time. Strong Manchester showings by veterans like Steve Kelly and Pavel Rosa, or youngsters like Noah Clarke and Yanick Lehoux could also keep the Manchester shuttle hopping. These are all players who could find themselves dressing for a Kings game if management wants to shake the club up.

Of course there are two wildcard scenarios that might change the contents of the photograph:

1. The Waiver Draft
2. A trade immediately prior to or immediately after The Waiver Draft.

Don't count the Kings out of making a move as they inch towards opening night, knowing that their team's chemical imbalance is hinging on the medical fortunes of two of their biggest stars. You can't replace Jason Allison and Adam Deadmarsh in the waiver draft, but you can certainly look around and see who might need a small package of players out of the aforementioned kids that sit on a precarious bubble in Kingsland.

Old Hickory 09-29-2003 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I've been addicted to LGK for a while, and never actually crossed over to a second message board. A friend of mine suggested I read some of the threads, and I realized there were some quality posts/posters that were worth checking out.

I think.................of players out of the aforementioned kids that sit on a precarious bubble in Kingsland.

Great first post... Welcome aboard.

I agree that it could be a long season. I wish we could find a way to shake the injury bug. And I hope you are right and do add a player. It would make sense to do so after the waiver draft.

Hope to see more posts from you.

IGM 09-30-2003 06:42 AM

You are either Tafkact (aka several other lgk names used) or you stole his post from LGK.com. Either way, its always nice to see another Kings fan here.

mysteryman 09-30-2003 06:44 AM

I think the best case scenario for this season is....

Eak out a .500 winning percentage for the first half of the season. Hope one of our guns can get off to a hot start and maybe half Cechmanek steal a couple of games for us. After that keep our fingers crossed that we can get Allison and Deader back close to 100% and with their addition get some sort of momentum rolling towards a playoff push.

A long shot to hope for will be that Cammalerri can get back into the lineup and add some additional offense in Allisons absence and that maybe our thin D Corp will be able to get some solid second half help from Grebeshkov or Gleason.

Kings Fanatic 09-30-2003 07:05 AM

I really hope you are Taf and not a thief. If you are Taf, welcome to HF. Its a good place to talk minus Neil, Kingsize, Yahay and some of the other idiots at LGK. Good take on the season. I'm curious, do you see Palffy being dealt at the deadline if the team is out of it?

Old Hickory 09-30-2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysteryman
I think the best case scenario for this season is....

Eak out a .500 winning percentage for the first half of the season. Hope one of our guns can get off to a hot start and maybe half Cechmanek steal a couple of games for us. After that keep our fingers crossed that we can get Allison and Deader back close to 100% and with their addition get some sort of momentum rolling towards a playoff push.

A long shot to hope for will be that Cammalerri can get back into the lineup and add some additional offense in Allisons absence and that maybe our thin D Corp will be able to get some solid second half help from Grebeshkov or Gleason.

I think it'll be less than half of a season. Camm should be ready in 3 weeks. Deader should be ready 1-2 weeks in to the season. Allison...well that's another story.
I think the trick will be getting off to a good start(which we historically do) until we are back at full health. (crosses fingers)

StianM 09-30-2003 07:32 AM

It is probably Tafkact...or else he stole his birthday to.. :)

nikolai19 09-30-2003 08:26 AM

TAFKACT-

This place is kind of like the Bahamas of the Kings message board. If you want a vacation from people asking "WhErE Du I Git the NeW RobITALLE JERSEY? GO KINGS!!! :lol: :joker: :yo: : ...

then this is your place.

Also to let everyone else on the board that is not familiar, this guy does one helluva job over at LGK.com

mysteryman 09-30-2003 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19
Also to let everyone else on the board that is not familiar, this guy does one helluva job over at LGK.com

Are you kidding....other then being witty, writing great game reports, and offering up free tickets-what the hell has he done? :bow:

VEGASKING 09-30-2003 08:46 AM

Free tickets? And i thought we were friends, Marc?

TubbyTerrion* 09-30-2003 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGM
You are either Tafkact (aka several other lgk names used) or you stole his post from LGK.com. Either way, its always nice to see another Kings fan here.


if you check the timestamp, you'll see that the post was here before it was on LGK... :) (though the one on LGK had some spelling errors corrected, and clarified a few points.)

IGM 09-30-2003 09:23 AM

Hummmmm, so are you saying you aren't him? Or are you ashamed to admit it. ;) I like some of your take on the season, time will tell how it all shakes out thats for sure. You will like it here, they don't let anyone including the mods take cheap shots at other posters here. LGK could learn from this spot.

Welcome aboard!

TubbyTerrion* 09-30-2003 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGM
Hummmmm, so are you saying you aren't him? Or are you ashamed to admit it. ;) I like some of your take on the season, time will tell how it all shakes out thats for sure. You will like it here, they don't let anyone including the mods take cheap shots at other posters here. LGK could learn from this spot.

Welcome aboard!


Yeah, the nerve of TAFKACT for calling that "avs suck" post moronic. You would think that as a moderator "he" would know better.

IGM 09-30-2003 09:33 AM

Huh?

I don't know what you are talking about but I still say welcome aboard.

VEGASKING 09-30-2003 09:49 AM

Tha thread cracked me up until I clicked on page two and it told me the thread was gone. There were too many idiots trolling the main board two years ago when I stopped reading it, I cant imagine how many more there are now.

TubbyTerrion* 09-30-2003 09:56 AM

a major problem with LGK is its' success. For example, last night Nick and Daryl plugged the site (in exchange for some ticket giveaways) and within minutes there were 125 new people logging in for the first time. You KNOW there aren't 125 intelligent hockey fans in the LA area who hadn't already logged onto LGK ;) so therefore, you have more "first time posters" who need to throw caution to the wind and let the world know that "Flynn roolz" and "avs suck."

There's some great discussion and a pretty healthy exchange of opinion over there, but once the season starts and the LGK ad is in the Kings game magazine on a nightly basis, there will be even more fodder for the cannon...

IGM 09-30-2003 10:19 AM

Another problem with LGK is that the mods tend to not only play favorites a bit but also allow personal attacks to stay on the boards quite often. You truly won't see that happen here. The few posts like that I have seen are usually dealt with pretty quickly. LGK is a great page for Kings info and I would bet that the Mods are doing all they can over there. You are right that the problem is probably due to its popularity so they can't get to everything.

That doesn't happen here and to be honest with you, that is why most of us are here. Allot of us came here to get away from the childish garbage that had over run LGK. That is why HF is such a great place for us Kings fans to come to. That and the fact that we get to see what is going on with the rest of the league and it fans.

TubbyTerrion* 09-30-2003 10:33 AM

the concept of the mods playing favorites is an interesting one... i'll have to watch more closely.

i will say that over the past couple of years, every time i see a trade prediction that has started with, "hey guys, over on HF they are saying that..." it's ALWAYS a load of crap :)

Legionnaire 09-30-2003 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGM
That doesn't happen here and to be honest with you, that is why most of us are here. Allot of us came here to get away from the childish garbage that had over run LGK

I still like LGK and visit everyday. "The childish garbage" doesn't really bother me that much, but the redundancy does. A lot of the threads are just re-hashed topics that have been discussed ad-nausem ie "Where is our top six foward" or "Dave Taylor sucks" and they usually feature the same posters having the exact same arguement.

Yes, there are some posters there that I do not like(Like the ones that do nothing but ***** and moan and yet never come up with any solutions, or the ones that cannot grasp that the Kings organization isn't going to break the bank on free agents) but all in all the good posters out weigh the bad.

Anyhow, it's nice to have another one of the really good LGK posters here at HF. Welcome Tubby :D

Legionnaire 09-30-2003 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
i will say that over the past couple of years, every time i see a trade prediction that has started with, "hey guys, over on HF they are saying that..." it's ALWAYS a load of crap :)

Well aren't most rumors crap?. The problem is that what gets posted at LGK most of the time are trade proposals, and not rumors, and if you look at the proposals here, I'm sure you will see most of them are highly unrealistic

Kings Fanatic 09-30-2003 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
the concept of the mods playing favorites is an interesting one... i'll have to watch more closely.

i will say that over the past couple of years, every time i see a trade prediction that has started with, "hey guys, over on HF they are saying that..." it's ALWAYS a load of crap :)

It all balances out though as the rumors started on LGK end up here too. Then everyone realizes it was crap.

IGM 09-30-2003 11:14 AM

Go to the trade board and try posting a bs trade rumor and see what happens. I can tell you that it will be closed AND that you would be suspended for three days on your first offence. Call someone any of the names that are allowed to happen at LGK and the same thing will happen. Usually within an hour of the post going up. I guess it is that they are just more on the ball here but like you said, LGK is very popular. I also like the fact that the Mods aren't allowed to take their personal grudges to the boards here. There was one here last year that did that tried that and he was gone in about a week.

I do think though that there is allot of great stuff at lgk. I just never post there because of the things I have mentioned. It is a great site for info. HF is just more of the place for the adult kings fan to come in and talk about the team.

jfont 09-30-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGM
Go to the trade board and try posting a bs trade rumor and see what happens. I can tell you that it will be closed AND that you would be suspended for three days on your first offence. Call someone any of the names that are allowed to happen at LGK and the same thing will happen. Usually within an hour of the post going up. I guess it is that they are just more on the ball here but like you said, LGK is very popular. I also like the fact that the Mods aren't allowed to take their personal grudges to the boards here. There was one here last year that did that tried that and he was gone in about a week.

i can vouch for this :D

Old Hickory 09-30-2003 11:49 AM

Alot of people see the trade proposals and think they are rumors

TubbyTerrion* 09-30-2003 12:09 PM

Well, I say the Kings make a deal within the next 7 days... (post waiver draft)

Not a big one, but a deal nonetheless.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.