HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Thornton unhappy with offer (merged threads) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=155182)

swinginutter* 07-27-2005 06:24 PM

Thornton

Here's to my wish! :yo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131601

Make a deal for six a year, and see if the B's match?

Tadite 07-27-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinginutter

Thornton would be a heck of a pickup. But 1st line 25 year old centers don't exactly grow on trees. God only knows what they would want in return. Although even if it takes prospects its not like this guy is some aged vetern. He is just mid-20's and has years to go in his career....

But think of how cool that could be.

Frolov, Thorton, Skilled guy (Palffy, Satan, ete)
Klatt, Conroy, Brown/Cammy

Thats not all that bad a top-6. Good speed and good physical play can't go wrong with speed and toughness.

Beauty, eh? 07-27-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

:shakehead

Yeah, and if they don't match say goodbye to 5 first rounders. No thanks.

swinginutter* 07-27-2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
:shakehead

Yeah, and if they don't match say goodbye to 5 first rounders. No thanks.

Oh, *****! I forgot about that, what a retard.

OK, so let's make a trade.

Pronger was also just given' a qualifying offer, so maybe Weight will be dumped after all?

Old Hickory 07-27-2005 07:18 PM

I am sure there is still a penatly. But, Has anyone heard if it's changed from the old CBA?

santiclaws 07-27-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I am sure there is still a penatly. But, Has anyone heard if it's changed from the old CBA?

I believe it is now 4 first rounders. And I believe he may just be worth it, especially considering that he would make those picks lower than they would have otherwise been.

Beauty, eh? 07-27-2005 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws
I believe it is now 4 first rounders. And I believe he may just be worth it, especially considering that he would make those picks lower than they would have otherwise been.

That still is way too steep a price.

santiclaws 07-27-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
That still is way too steep a price.

Maybe, maybe not. Assuming out of the 4 middle of first round picks you're going to likely get two solid NHLers, one third/fourth line guy and one wash out, I would exchange that for a superstar in a heartbeat. Might you do better? Sure. You may also do worse. I would say it would be worth some serious consideration.

Not that I think this is a realistic scenario in any event. I figure he's either going to stay in Boston or become a UFA. He's looking for his $7.8M.

King Blazer 07-27-2005 07:34 PM

As a Bruins fan I kindly request that you ****ers back the **** off on the Thornton stuff! :D

Thank-you for your anticipated cooperation...

By the way, my guess is that Joe will not go long-term with the Bs (no reason for him to) so maybe yous guys go after him next year when he's a UFA.... :yo:

Bruwinz37 07-27-2005 07:37 PM

You can have Joe if you want.

Just gotta fork over Grebeshov, Dustin Brown and Frolov and he is yours :)

Beauty, eh? 07-27-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
You can have Joe if you want.

Just gotta fork over Grebeshov, Dustin Brown and Frolov and he is yours :)

Nah, we'll just wait until he's UFA next year and we'll give you nothing in return, depriving you of your most valuable asset.

Thanks!

Captain Ron 07-27-2005 07:55 PM

There is no player in the NHL today worth giving up 5 first round picks for. That being said I would love to see Thornton on the Kings but I can wait a year. :)

Venom_17 07-27-2005 08:05 PM

Thornton is worth 7.8, if anyone in the league is. I would give it to him in a heartbeat. Is Boston retarded? Are they TRYING to piss him off? 5 mill is LAUGHABLE.

santiclaws 07-27-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
Thornton is worth 7.8, if anyone in the league is. I would give it to him in a heartbeat. Is Boston retarded? Are they TRYING to piss him off? 5 mill is LAUGHABLE.

$5M is hardly laughable and is only a starting point in negotiations. I am not convinced that there is actually anyone in the league worth $7.8M. Paying 20% of payroll (or more) for just one player is a *****, and I don't know that anyone will actually get the max any time soon.

Captain Ron 07-27-2005 08:45 PM

Quote:

$5M is hardly laughable and is only a starting point in negotiations. I am not convinced that there is actually anyone in the league worth $7.8M. Paying 20% of payroll (or more) for just one player is a *****, and I don't know that anyone will actually get the max any time soon.

You may be surprised. I will be shocked if Forsberg and/or Niedermayer do not get the max. You have to remember the owners made the 20% rule to save themselves from themselves. They did it so they knew no matter how crazy they got they could not overspend.

swinginutter* 07-27-2005 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
As a Bruins fan I kindly request that you ****ers back the **** off on the Thornton stuff! :D

Thank-you for your anticipated cooperation...

By the way, my guess is that Joe will not go long-term with the Bs (no reason for him to) so maybe yous guys go after him next year when he's a UFA.... :yo:

You talking about the LA Bruins or the Boston Kings?

***** most of the deals that our two beloved teams go through are with each other. For years now!

It only makes sense that you give us Thornton.........sorry.

santiclaws 07-27-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
You may be surprised. I will be shocked if Forsberg and/or Niedermayer do not get the max. You have to remember the owners made the 20% rule to save themselves from themselves. They did it so they knew no matter how crazy they got they could not overspend.

I should have said that I don't know that anyone is
worth the max. Someone will get it, most likely.

Captain Ron 07-27-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

I should have said that I don't know that anyone is
worth the max. Someone will get it, most likely.

I agree with that. :)

willywonka 07-27-2005 09:23 PM

Thorton is awesome, but nobody is worth $7.8mm per year in the "new NHL". Nobody is worth 4 first round picks either. I would wait a year or two and we will pick up a franchise player through UFA.

Some owner will probably sign a Forsberg, Thorton, Naslund, Pronger at $7.8mm, but I just hope it is not us. It will come back to bite that team in the butt.

All of the players mentioned above are proven NHL studs and I would love to see them on the Kings, but the price is too steep if they won't accept anything less than the max salaries. I think that people will be surprised at some of the players that sign for less to play on competitive teams. Just my opinion.

swinginutter* 07-27-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywonka
Thorton is awesome, but nobody is worth $7.8mm per year in the "new NHL". Nobody is worth 4 first round picks either. I would wait a year or two and we will pick up a franchise player through UFA.

Some owner will probably sign a Forsberg, Thorton, Naslund, Pronger at $7.8mm, but I just hope it is not us. It will come back to bite that team in the butt.

All of the players mentioned above are proven NHL studs and I would love to see them on the Kings, but the price is too steep if they won't accept anything less than the max salaries. I think that people will be surprised at some of the players that sign for less to play on competitive teams. Just my opinion.

Good post. Thing is with the CAP in place who is the competitive team? Now it's supposed to be at a level playing field....but the league is still dilluted in talent. These guys will most likely get that 7.8 and it really won't bite those clubs in the butt, especially on the marketing side.
Forsberg and Naslund will do the bed buddy thing like Kariya and Selanne, and that's the only way they'll take a pay cut. Kariya was making 10 million a year, than goes to the Lanche for 1 million. He was riddled with injuries so I can guarantee you that tight wad will be asking for big dollar as well. I'd have no problem at all giving Joe Thornton 7.8 a year. He'll be leading the NHL in scoring for a long time to come. How the hell do you think that doofus Glen Murray got all those goals. That powder puff never buried for us!

Joe Thornton would probably be one of the biggest Kings deals ever, if it were to happen!

King Blazer 07-27-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

You talking about the LA Bruins or the Boston Kings?

***** most of the deals that our two beloved teams go through are with each other. For years now!

It only makes sense that you give us Thornton.........sorry.

Should we have Potvin drive him out there? You're probably going to need him as well.... :D

willywonka 07-27-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Good post. Thing is with the CAP in place who is the competitive team? Now it's supposed to be at a level playing field....but the league is still dilluted in talent. These guys will most likely get that 7.8 and it really won't bite those clubs in the butt, especially on the marketing side.
Forsberg and Naslund will do the bed buddy thing like Kariya and Selanne, and that's the only way they'll take a pay cut. Kariya was making 10 million a year, than goes to the Lanche for 1 million. He was riddled with injuries so I can guarantee you that tight wad will be asking for big dollar as well. I'd have no problem at all giving Joe Thornton 7.8 a year. He'll be leading the NHL in scoring for a long time to come. How the hell do you think that doofus Glen Murray got all those goals. That powder puff never buried for us!

Joe Thornton would probably be one of the biggest Kings deals ever, if it were to happen!

Thank you. Your post was very good as well. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Thorton here. He is physical, has great hands, can pass and score, but I just think that to sign a player to that much money is going to hurt teams to sign top notch talent to support Thorton and will hinder keeping your young talented players for the long term.

To your question regarding "who is going to be competitive under the cap?", I think it will be the teams that develop their own young players, spend in the mid $30mm range with room to pick up someone at the trade deadline to push you over the top. The big market teams (Colorado, Detroit, Toronto) will always be competitve because they have the money. Teams like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Atlanta are in great shape imo because they have great young talent and can add some veterans to their lineups. They will just have to make sure that they sign the right players and make sure they don't lose their stars through free agency.

swinginutter* 07-27-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
Should we have Potvin drive him out there? You're probably going to need him as well.... :D

So is that what Felix is doing now? I didn't know "the invisible cat" was running a limo service. I'll be sure to send that cancer right back as soon as he drops off our boy.
As for Joey T? Boston better wake up, and quick or they'll never get rid of that reputation they have. Funny how they're offering him the same money they gave that nob Lapointe. I know it's a different league with a different structure, but c'mon! We all know loyalty in professional sports are for the pits!

Albi 07-28-2005 06:53 AM

Thornton unhappy with the Bruins offer

5 years, 25 M $
No way it will be enough to keep Jumbo Joe in Beantown

link - Toronto Sun

King Blazer 07-28-2005 09:56 AM

There's no reason for Thornton to sign long-term with the Bs. Take a year at the qualifying number $5.13-mm and tell Mgmt. that should leave plenty of money to get other top players and make the team competitive out of the gate. See where they go with it and maybe re-up AFTER going through FA and a year of seeing what Mgmt. is really going to do $$$ wise...

The Bs were really in a "no win" situation here. My thought is they could have offered Joe 5-yrs at the current max and his agent would still be saying no-thanks. Too many unknowns about where the max will head over the next 5-yrs for a player of Thornton's caliber to sign long-term...