HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Peter Laviolette (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1551945)

Clark4Ever 12-03-2013 10:43 PM

Peter Laviolette

Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace.

The Leafs are in free fall mode, and have drastically underachieved this season. Injuries have played a part, but the issues that plague the team are primarily systemic in nature, and the team has lacked intensity as well. Ultimately, the coaching staff bares responsibility.

If the situation doesn't improve, a coaching change is likely imminent, and Laviolette seems to be the best candidate available at this time.

What is your honest opinion of Laviolette?

Flyerfan4life 12-03-2013 10:47 PM

yes plz...

that way we know exactly how to get 2 points everytime we play the Leafs..

The Dream 12-03-2013 11:34 PM

I like Lavi, and his system is very aggressive but on many occasions it can hang the defense out to dry. Also it seems that Toronto has a weak defense as did Philadelphia. So, I would recommend Lavi coach a team with a better defensive core to begin with like St. Louis, Nashville, or Boston. But, hey he is a fun and energetic coach, it would certainly be fun too see him coaching for Toronto and he is also a wizard with his timeouts.

dats81 12-04-2013 01:22 AM

If you guys got solid goaltending and an above average defense and mobile forwards, Lavi is a coach you can win championships with.

Norm MacDonald 12-04-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark4Ever (Post 75488531)
Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace.

The Leafs are in free fall mode, and have drastically underachieved this season. Injuries have played a part, but the issues that plague the team are primarily systemic in nature, and the team has lacked intensity as well. Ultimately, the coaching staff bares responsibility.

If the situation doesn't improve, a coaching change is likely imminent, and Laviolette seems to be the best candidate available at this time.

Carlyle is a good coach, and you should be happy to have him.

Ryker 12-04-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Yeah, right. Sitting 6th in the conference isn't even an underachievement for the Leafs, let alone a drastic one. Just what caliber of players do you think you have on the team?

Beef Invictus 12-04-2013 02:37 AM

I'm not sure what you expect form a new coach. The roster depth is flat out not good enough at center, I really don't know why they thought buying out Grabo would be a good idea...a coaching change isn't going to change that. Lavi is a good coach for the right team, but I'm not sure the Leafs are that team.

Edit: They're a team that's questionable defensively and gets outshot often. When Lavi succeeded in Philly, he inherited a roster chock full off good-to-great two way forwards as well as a strong D group. I don't see those traits in Toronto, and if there's anything Lavi showed in his last couple seasons in Philly, it's that nobody should be expected to evolve into that sort of player under his watch. Lavi strikes me as the kind of coach you get if your team should be absolutely ready to compete and needs a kick in the ass. If they aren't there yet, you don't want him trying to develop the roster to get them there.

RJ8812 12-04-2013 06:13 AM

lolz

I love Leafs fans. 10 games into the season they were all planning the parade, now they're acting like we did 10 games into our season :laugh:

GKJ 12-04-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 75488745)
yes plz...

that way we know exactly how to get 2 points everytime we play the Leafs..

Spoken like someone who is truly clueless about the situation.

Lavy's track record for turning around teams is quite proven. It would take a few weeks as he puts in his system. He would turn around the Leafs as long as he is left alone, but just realize when a good thing is coming to an end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 75499251)
lolz

I love Leafs fans. 10 games into the season they were all planning the parade, now they're acting like we did 10 games into our season :laugh:

It hurts sometimes when math takes over and you didn't expect it to.

PhillyFlying 12-04-2013 07:55 AM

didn't ron wilson run a similar run-and-gun offensive style when he was coach of the leafs? didn't everyone say that was why they were bad?

give carlyle some more time. i think the leafs need a player upgrade before they need a coaching upgrade.

FlyersFan61290 12-04-2013 08:21 AM

You don't want Lavy at the helm unless you have the right team. Basically you need an All-Star goalie or an amazing defense. Also you need plenty of solid two way forwards. The young players like Kadri also won't get very much ice time under Lavy, kinda like JVR when he was here. On the other hand struggling vets who used to be something will get the ice time even when they don't earn it, see Briere. If you don't believe me just look up Schenn's, Couturier's and JVR's ice time when Lavy was running things.

He's also not very good against tight checking teams like the Devils, Rangers under Torts, Lighting when they used a 1-3-1 etc. Bottom line is he has a game plan and can't adjust to accommodate his players. Like I said though if you think your team fits his mold then he's a good choice otherwise, no.

SeanCWombBroom 12-04-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

To answer directly: Very good coach with the right players. Has a shelf-life of 3-4 seasons max (and I'm saying this as a Lavi supporter). If Toronto's forwards are capable of playing very aggressive and are capable of hard backchecking (no lazy players) -- he could do well.

FreshPerspective 12-04-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 75503419)
To answer directly: Very good coach with the right players. Has a shelf-life of 3-4 seasons max (and I'm saying this as a Lavi supporter). If Toronto's forwards are capable of playing very aggressive and are capable of hard backchecking (no lazy players) -- he could do well.

Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...

RJ8812 12-04-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshPerspective (Post 75503579)
Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...

You mean Ted Nolan, the current head coach of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres?

FreshPerspective 12-04-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 75504341)
You mean Ted Nolan, the current head coach of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres?

Yeah I mean Ted Nolan "THE INTERIM" head coach of the Sabres....it's already been mentioned they probably won't give him the full time job......:shakehead

Flyerfan4life 12-04-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

^^^exactly^^^... Lavis "system" has been exposed and i wouldnt expect any different from any other team he coachs unless he develops a completly new system..

which i wouldnt hold a candle into the wind for expecting

StoneHands 12-04-2013 10:58 AM

I like to think of Lavi as similar but the opposite(if that makes any sense) as Ken Hitchcock.

They're opposite in that Hitchcock makes his team play tight team defense and score when the other team makes mistakes. Lavi like to go full tilt on offense and the forcheck and just tries to overwhelm the opponent with offense, kind of going by the motto "the best defense is a good offense".

They're very similar because they both like playing proven vets and they demand a ton from every guy on the team and they aren't afraid to ruffle some feathers. Because of that, they have a window of opportunity to work with until the guys start tuning them out. Both have the ability to take over a bad team and turn them into championship quality.

I for one, would hate to see Lavi turn up in Toronto, just because I like to seem them fail. :naughty:

BringBackStevens 12-04-2013 11:12 AM

Laviolette needs strong two way forwards and defensemen who can make strong quick decisions and are great passers in his system to succeed. Not really sure but it doesn't look like the Leafs fit that.

I'm also not really seeing how the Leafs are underachieving at all. They are a decent but not great team.

flyersfan187 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Lavy is a good coach, but the players after a few seasons under him just seem to not take him serious anymore. In his system everyone has to play within the system or it just won't work. You need good defensive forwards and good offensive forwards with speed.

Garbage Goal 12-04-2013 12:35 PM

Laviolette is very capable of turning a team around and running it well, but his biggest problem is that he tends to have short shelf-lives. He's a coach that isn't very flexible with how he runs his team or system which is typical of a lot of coaches, but with Laviolette he gets old fast and he runs a system that isn't very flexible when it's not working. If I had to describe players that would fit him I guess two-way forwards with goal scoring prowess and D capable of facilitating a breakout well works best.

I don't know how good or bad Carlyle is, but it's one thing if a coach is ruining a team it's another completely to have a team that isn't capable of being a top team in the first place. This is something I apply to the Flyers too because although I know Berube is a flawed coach I know he's not outright detrimental at the moment and I also know no coach is going to turn this team into a top team.

With Toronto they have talent spread out around the lineup with no general position standing out as especially weak between Forward, D, and G. Their Center depth and talent is atrocious though to where it's likely the worst in the league and although the lineup is very well balanced it just doesn't seem to match up to the current top teams in the league. If I were a Leafs fan, unless Carlyle is flat-out harming the team in some way all concerns about him would be secondary to finally getting some Center talent and pushing the team as a whole over the top.

Garbage Goal 12-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 75513857)
Laviolette is very capable of turning a team around and running it well, but his biggest problem is that he tends to have short shelf-lives. He's a coach that isn't very flexible with how he runs his team or system which is typical of a lot of coaches, but with Laviolette he gets old fast and he runs a system that isn't very flexible when it's not working. If I had to describe players that would fit him I guess two-way forwards with goal scoring prowess and D capable of facilitating a breakout well works best.

I don't know how good or bad Carlyle is, but it's one thing if a coach is ruining a team it's another completely to have a team that isn't capable of being a top team in the first place. This is something I apply to the Flyers too because although I know Berube is a flawed coach I know he's not outright detrimental at the moment and I also know no coach is going to turn this team into a top team.

With Toronto they have talent spread out around the lineup with no general position standing out as especially weak between Forward, D, and G. Their Center depth and talent is atrocious though to where it's likely the worst in the league and although the lineup is very well balanced it just doesn't seem to match up to the current top teams in the league. If I were a Leafs fan, unless Carlyle is flat-out harming the team in some way all concerns about him would be secondary to finally getting some Center talent and pushing the team as a whole over the top.

Forgot to mention this, but as far as Laviolette goes I wouldn't recommend that as the Leafs aren't likely to be able to win it all. Laviolette's ideal situation is being hired to push a contender ready for a Cup to that Cup win, assuming Laviolette's time in the NHL hasn't run it's course.

Legion of Goon 12-04-2013 12:59 PM

It's a moot point as Carlyle is not going to be fired

Norm MacDonald 12-04-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Ted Nolan has a short shelf life because he's an ***hole. Also, Laviolette has actually won a cup and had more than one good season.

GKJ 12-04-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringBackStevens (Post 75509471)
Laviolette needs strong two way forwards and defensemen who can make strong quick decisions and are great passers in his system to succeed. Not really sure but it doesn't look like the Leafs fit that.

I'm also not really seeing how the Leafs are underachieving at all. They are a decent but not great team.

They overachieved last year, and it continued over into this season (despite from roflcopter personnel decisions) and things going sideways again is becoming another kick in the teeth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 75508553)
^^^exactly^^^... Lavis "system" has been exposed and i wouldnt expect any different from any other team he coachs unless he develops a completly new system..

which i wouldnt hold a candle into the wind for expecting

Your assumption is in direct opposition to established evidence.

Gert B Frobe 12-06-2013 10:45 PM

I think Laviolette would fit very well with the Leafs. They have some good puck movers on D and fast enough forwards to play his system well. Carlyle doesn't impress me with his tough guy act - more of the same Brian Burke crap that has gotten the Leafs nowhere in a very long time.

If the league has passed anyone by it's Carlyle, not Laviolette. And the players in Toronto are a lot more like the 06 Hurricanes than the 07 Ducks - but not a whole lot like either of them.