HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Salary Cap: Hab's long-term contract situation - Top 10 in the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1552137)

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 10:55 AM

Hab's long-term contract situation - Top 10 in the NHL?
 
I was thinking about our overall contract situation on Sunday, after our victory against the Leafs. Basically, I was thinking of their signing of Clarkson, and just how much it will hurt the Leafs in the long run...

And I realized there's plenty of teams who also have similar contracts. Hell, Montreal was known for having 2 of those up until recently. But it's long past. Even better: we have quite a number of young, competitive players who are signed for very advantageous contracts that, when compared to the rest of the contracts currently signed in the NHL, are quite cheap.

Look for a moment at Bergevin's signings:

- Carey Price. 6y x 6,5M. Compared to Lundqvist's signing today, that's a helluva discount! Count this year, we still have 5 seasons of Carey under contract.
- Max Pacioretty. 6x 4,5M. We still have 6 seasons of Max. How many "big" 30-goal scorers are signed for such a long period at that price?!
- Aleixi Emelin. 4x 4,1M. The shutdown defenseman I believe everybody understand is making the world of difference in our 2nd pairing, which stabilizes our entire D-corps. We still have him for 5 seasons.
- Travis Moen. 4x 1,85M. I know many people thought Moen just wasn't pulling his weight in the past year, but he's changed a lot recently. Actually, you could even claim his resurgence has coincided with Desharnais's resurgence as well, and both of these players' slump have been simultaneous. Maybe Moen is a bit overpaid, but he's also providing some reliable defensive depth with size to our forward, and he's quite the energy player. We still have him for 3 years.
- Brandon Prust. 4x 2,5M. Even if he's been a little weak lately, I don't think anyone can challenge the impact he's had on our team overall. One of Bergevin's best signing. We still have him for 3 years.

I believe Bergevin's most criticized long-term signing was David Desharnais. 4x 3,5M. Let's be honest; even if Desharnais stops his current streak and ends up being a complete waste, it's not like his 3,5M is a crippling contract for our organization. It's not an Albatross Contract.

And if Desharnais finds his cruising speed and doesn't have another slump, then it's a solid signing.



The other players currently signed with us for 3+ years, but who haven't been signed by Bergevin are as follow:

Tomas Plekanec. Still with us for 3y x 5M$. Again, I don't think anyone can even challenge the idea that this is a good situation for us. Plekanec has been at the top of our center's depth chart for the past years, and only the emergence of true stars will push him down.
Josh Gorges. Who will be with us 5y x 3,9M. Arguably the most overpaid of our long-term signing after Desharnais. However, he's proved time and again to be a reliable shutdown guy who's great at playing position, a solid leader in the locker room and a fantastic PKer. If our organisation needs to shed something in our defensive corps, then trading Gorges would fetch us quite a return.
Rene Bourque, who will be with us for 3y x 3,33M. A streaky player who, in my opinion, is rarely a defensive liability. He may not always hustle in the offensive zone, but he's often at the right spot in our own zone. But when he does hustle it out in the O-zone :amazed: I think the only player harder to throw off the puck may be Eller. I wouldn't consider him a "bad contract" by any measures. Like Gorges, he's our most likely trade-bait contract.


So you look at the contract tying up the Habs for the next 3+ years, and you realize just how flexible our situation is, by virtue of the quality of the contracts we've signed with many of our young core. The "Fantastic Contracts" (Price, Pacioretty & Emelin) SHOULD NOT BE TRADED. They constitute the most important part of our current strong lineup.

I understand with the resigning of players like Eller, Subban and Markov, cap space might be tight in the very near future. But on the other hand, we can safely say that the future is bright and we will be able to accommodate the future contracts of our burgeoning stars in Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

What do you think?

Redux91 12-04-2013 11:00 AM

Good post, its all true, save for the DD signing.

The Plakenec and Bourque contracts are VERY tradeable should the options ever be considered too

i always wished that gorges contract was a bit lower, but honestly, he's going to be wearing the C next year, they love him in the locker room and his leadership by example on the ice (truth be told, i havent even SEEN josh the last couple of games, and thats not a bad thing, lately all i could see involving josh was defensive mishaps and miscues, now he's been quietly solid, but he will always remain solid in his own zone, its just the wear and tear has really caught up to him it looks like, not the same he was 3 years ago)

edit : but for the most part...most of our contracts are definitely GREAT for the long term planning.. its such a great feeling after the monstrous gomez and gionta contracts, and cammy never rlly lived up to 6 mill.

No Team Needed 12-04-2013 11:03 AM

Plekanec: $5M
Sharp: $5.9M
Krejci: $5.2M

Plek is paid exactly what he should be.

Pierre Dagenais 12-04-2013 11:09 AM

What the hell? How is Plekanec not a good situation for us?

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Team Needed (Post 75505911)
Plekanec: $5M
Sharp: $5.9M
Krejci: $5.2M

Plek is paid exactly what he should be.


So it's a good contract for us :yo:

No Team Needed 12-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais (Post 75506233)
What the hell? How is Plekanec not a good situation for us?

I don't believe that was the OP's point. It was more saying that Bergevin didn't sign Plek. When you read the sentences, I think an "isn't" should have been there.

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais (Post 75506233)
What the hell? How is Plekanec not a good situation for us?

Maybe my wording are confusing; sorry. I 100% support the fact that Plek is a good contract for us, and nobody can challenge that.

"Nobody can challenge the idea that it's a good situation for us"

Halifaxhab* 12-04-2013 11:12 AM

The DD contract may end up helping us in the end. Lebrun made mention of this too. Eller is due a new contract (as an RFA).

DD has produced 120pts in 204 games (0.59ppg) and is a + player. He makes 3.5M for 3 more seasons. Can Eller at this stage of the game, argue his way up from his current deal to surpass DD? I am guessing not. So imagine Eller getting a 4-5 yr 3.5M per deal now.

Keeping in mind that the Cap is going up....dramatically as of next year. So all of the managable contracts mentioned above, and even the poopy ones (yes DD's is still poopy, he should've been signed for less...but meh), make it so we have NO problems resigning our key pieces AND adding to them via UFA if need be.

I see a very manageable cap structure in Montreal....and not so much in Taranna.....mmmmmwwwwahahahahahahaha!

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:13 AM

No matter how much poppy you believe DD's contract is:

3,5M of cap space lost is manageable.

Compare to other albatross contracts in the NHL.

Redux91 12-04-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 75506391)
The DD contract may end up helping us in the end. Lebrun made mention of this too. Eller is due a new contract (as an RFA).

DD has produced 120pts in 204 games (0.59ppg) and is a + player. He makes 3.5M for 3 more seasons. Can Eller at this stage of the game, argue his way up from his current deal to surpass DD? I am guessing not. So imagine Eller getting a 4-5 yr 3.5M per deal now.

Keeping in mind that the Cap is going up....dramatically as of next year. So all of the managable contracts mentioned above, and even the poopy ones (yes DD's is still poopy, he should've been signed for less...but meh), make it so we have NO problems resigning our key pieces AND adding to them via UFA if need be.

I see a very manageable cap structure in Montreal....and not so much in Taranna.....mmmmmwwwwahahahahahahaha!

Still, lets see what Subban signs for and what markov resigns for before we say our structure is amazing... even tho it shouldnt be TOO bad, subbans gonna earn every cent

Redux91 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 75506483)
No matter how much poppy you believe DD's contract is:

3,5M of cap space lost is manageable.

Compare to other albatross contracts in the NHL.

its definitely not 7.3 .... i still cant beleive we ever BREATHED with that contract..

but no ...3.5 is not earth shattering/crippling.. (its just that he's....gwah! i cant even say it)

Pierre Dagenais 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 75506377)
Maybe my wording are confusing; sorry. I 100% support the fact that Plek is a good contract for us, and nobody can challenge that.

"Nobody can challenge the idea that it's a good situation for us"

Ok my mistake. I must have misread it.

Good post!

BLONG7 12-04-2013 11:16 AM

Every team has highs and lows with the cap, but at the end of the day we are very fortunate to have a team willing to go almost to the cap every season because of the revenues generated.

MB has some big decisions to make soon, but as mentioned the cap will be going back up...:yo:
Speaking of the cap, any idea where it will be for next year? 70M?

SB164 12-04-2013 11:16 AM

I wish I could find it now, but I remember when Plekanec was signed to his contract, for whatever reason, I went over to the Leafs board to see their reaction, not surprisingly, they were basically all laughing at the contract, calling Gangsta overrated, blah ****ing blah.

But hey, we can all laugh about Clarkson contract now :laugh:

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 75506499)
Still, lets see what Subban signs for and what markov resigns for before we say our structure is amazing... even tho it shouldnt be TOO bad, subbans gonna earn every cent

Like you said, Subban is going to earn 100% of his money. I am fine with that. Unless for some reason Subban suddenly becomes content and start to stink, we shouldn't complaint from having one of the NHL top-3 defenseman.

Markov's next contract will probably be 2-3 years, and probably worth a lot as well. It's probably the biggest risk in term of cap space for us.

But nevertheless, no matter how tight we are for the next 2 years, we'll be more than fine for the 3 years following that. That's how you create Stanley Cup Windows, my friend.

pezcore 12-04-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB164 (Post 75506663)
I wish I could find it now, but I remember when Plekanec was signed to his contract, for whatever reason, I went over to the Leafs board to see their reaction, not surprisingly, they were basically all laughing at the contract, calling Gangsta overrated, blah ****ing blah.

But hey, we can all laugh about Clarkson contract now :laugh:

The whole NHL laughs at the Clarkson signing. We kept saying how bad of a contract it was and the answer you would almost always get was..."He left money on the table to play in Toronto"

You should head on the board and read the thread they have on him now.

Pleks was an expensive contract at the time and I wasnt too thrill but he`s been one of the most underated players in the NHL. Guy plays against the best fowards and still puts up decent numbers.

He just sucks on the shootout....

Redux91 12-04-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 75506789)
Like you said, Subban is going to earn 100% of his money. I am fine with that. Unless for some reason Subban suddenly becomes content and start to stink, we shouldn't complaint from having one of the NHL top-3 defenseman.

Markov's next contract will probably be 2-3 years, and probably worth a lot as well. It's probably the biggest risk in term of cap space for us.

But nevertheless, no matter how tight we are for the next 2 years, we'll be more than fine for the 3 years following that. That's how you create Stanley Cup Windows, my friend.

I agree bigtime bud.. i mean how much more money can markov even get compared to his current one? and i REALLY doubt he wants to play anywhere else, i mean i just really really really doubt it, i dont care that damon and ellsbury went to the yankees for more cash, i just DONT see markov wanting to leave here ever.

Gionta's 5 mill coming off the books should compensate for Subban and Markovs extra money, and the year after that brieres 4 mill comes off as well to sign whoever..

jesus thank GOD price and pacioretty ARE locked up for that long and that money

..and im not your friend... :P couldnt resist

BLONG7 12-04-2013 11:35 AM

DD if he's producing, the 3.5M is not a bad one, Gorges might be the only contract I would considered bloated for what he brings, but there are intangibles so to speak that he brings, that are hard to measure...

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 75507425)
I agree bigtime bud.. i mean how much more money can markov even get compared to his current one? and i REALLY doubt he wants to play anywhere else, i mean i just really really really doubt it, i dont care that damon and ellsbury went to the yankees for more cash, i just DONT see markov wanting to leave here ever.

Gionta's 5 mill coming off the books should compensate for Subban and Markovs extra money, and the year after that brieres 4 mill comes off as well to sign whoever..

jesus thank GOD price and pacioretty ARE locked up for that long and that money

..and im not your friend... :P couldnt resist

THEN I AM NOT YOUR BUD :cry:

Halifaxhab* 12-04-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 75506483)
No matter how much poppy you believe DD's contract is:

3,5M of cap space lost is manageable.

I agree, I said it was.

Compare to other albatross contracts in the NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 75506499)
Still, lets see what Subban signs for and what markov resigns for before we say our structure is amazing... even tho it shouldnt be TOO bad, subbans gonna earn every cent

I am guessing next year's cap is going to be close to 72-74M So still very manageable, especially because we get another year at low cost of the Gally's


And I'd be your bud.....and PricePkPatch....can I be your fwiend....

:cheesy:

PricePkPatch 12-04-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 75508223)
I am guessing next year's cap is going to be close to 72-74M So still very manageable, especially because we get another year at low cost of the Gally's


And I'd be your bud.....and PricePkPatch....can I be your fwiend....

:cheesy:


Mario Lemieux fan 66 12-04-2013 11:52 AM

Way too soon to tell. What if Subban want 8.5 millions/year ? What if Markov want 6.5 millions/year ? What if Eller ask for 4.5 millions/year ? What if Galchenyuk ask for 6 millions/year ? What if Gallagher ask for 5 millions/year ?

This could get ugly really fast.

Redux91 12-04-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 (Post 75508487)
Way too soon to tell. What if Subban want 8.5 millions/year ? What if Markov want 6.5 millions/year ? What if Eller ask for 4.5 millions/year ? What if Galchenyuk ask for 6 millions/year ? What if Gallagher ask for 5 millions/year ?

This could get ugly really fast.

those are problems 5 years away when they will be UFA and when we can manage them..

when those guys will be RFA sometime soon however.... they cant "ASK" for anything...

Halifaxhab* 12-04-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 (Post 75508487)
Way too soon to tell. What if Subban want 8.5 millions/year ? What if Markov want 6.5 millions/year ? What if Eller ask for 4.5 millions/year ? What if Galchenyuk ask for 6 millions/year ? What if Gallagher ask for 5 millions/year ?

This could get ugly really fast.

fair enough....but Galchenyuk and Gallagher cannot ask for anything until after NEXT season.

And let';s be honest, with revenues going up every year, seeing a cap at close to 76-78M in 2 years is not unrealistic. some are predicting 100M in 4 more seasons.

JohnLennon 12-04-2013 12:17 PM

I agree, we are in an ideal cap situation. Every team has bad contracts, but even our bad contracts aren't even that bad. And if Desharnais keeps up his solid play, we have arguably no bad contracts. For now!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.