HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   joni pitkanen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1552287)

kelmitchell 12-04-2013 01:47 PM

joni pitkanen

hey guys i have always loved this guy i loved him when we had him he was one of my favorite defense men but does anyone know the reason why we let him leave and why he had a problem here in philly ??

kelmitchell 12-04-2013 01:48 PM

pure curiosity is all

RJ8812* 12-04-2013 01:51 PM

couldnt handle the media/spotlight

It's too bad though. Ever since he left Philly, he was never the same

BillDineen 12-04-2013 01:58 PM

"Impatient Flyers to trade Pitkanen?

07:14 AM ET 06.22 | The Flyers would like to dump salary before signing either center Scott Gomez or center Danny Briere in the free-agency period next month. Two Flyers up for grabs are defenseman Denis Gauthier, who has a $2.12 million salary, and left winger Geoff Sanderson, whose salary is $1.5 million. The bigger news could be the trading of restricted free agent Joni Pitkanen. The Flyers are taking the defenseman to salary arbitration. Pitkanen is due $2 million this fall if he is re-signed. The organization's patience with Pitkanen's enigmatic tendencies has worn thin. His agent, Larry Kelly, is on record as saying he expects a trade, and it may happen at the draft."

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...trade-pitkanen

FlyersFanz 12-04-2013 02:05 PM

Thank the Lord Flyers didn't sign Gomez...:phew:

Flyotes 12-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 75519117)

The big three that year were Drury, Gomez, and Briere (coming off a 93 point season IIRC).

Look how that turned out.

kelmitchell 12-04-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 75519117)

:handclap: i second that motion but it is a shame joni was pretty good here and our defense would be better with him

Flyotes 12-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmitchell (Post 75518035)
hey guys i have always loved this guy i loved him when we had him he was one of my favorite defense men but does anyone know the reason why we let him leave and why he had a problem here in philly ??

Seemed like Joni's personality clashed with certain individuals.

Don Nachbaur 26 12-04-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 75519815)
Seemed like Joni's personality clashed with certain individuals.

Fedoruk didn't care for him

Winston Wolf 12-04-2013 02:43 PM

He was rumored to be an immature introvert that had a hard time getting along with teammates. Evidence of that is him living in a hotel with his mother the whole time he was in Edmonton.

It's a shame he was so awkward, the season where he put up 46 points in 58 games was one of the best seasons I've ever seen a young Flyers defenseman have.

Stizz09 12-04-2013 02:53 PM

I was working as an intern with CSN Pitkanens last year in 06-07... He (along with the rest of our defense) was absolutely abysmal. Constantly caught flat footed and out of position... I would put some of it on a coaching change, and the loss of key vets (Primeau, and Dejardins) but him and Derian Hatcher were the 2 worst defenders that year. He was like -25 that year and he took one dumb penalty after another. I was more than happy to see him leave when he did. IMO he never lived up to his #4 overall pick. He turned into a serviceable 4/5 Dman but nothing overly special, and he always breaks down. Maybe im just sour bc he helped ruin my dream job that year.

Embiid 12-04-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 (Post 75520703)

RJ8812* 12-04-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 (Post 75520703)

tbh, who cares about Fedoruk?

Would you rather have a 4th line scrub, or young, budding defenseman?

Mind you, I'm sure it had more to do than just Fedoruk

RespectTheGhost 12-04-2013 05:37 PM

I didn't much care for him when he played in Philly he always looked unhappy and just going through the motions, I just remember him taking a ton of dumb penalties maybe I am mistaking him with someone else

sa cyred 12-04-2013 05:54 PM

If I am not mistaken didnt Desjardins himself come out and say it was hard to teach the kid anything since he didnt listen well or didnt want to listen? Maybe that wasnt the exact reason but I remember Desjardins not liking him. And that is pretty big since Eric liked alot of people.

JGalt 12-04-2013 05:55 PM

There was a stretch there, for about 3 months, when him and Rathje were just a dominant pairing. I really thought Joni was on the verge of becoming a star. Then I think he got hurt? Like a hernia or concussion* or something and by the time he came back Rathje was done and it was just never the same to the point were the wheels seemed to fall off entirely.

*It was a torn ab muscle.

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-04-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor (Post 75529727)
I didn't much care for him when he played in Philly he always looked unhappy and just going through the motions, I just remember him taking a ton of dumb penalties maybe I am mistaking him with someone else

Years ago, the Flyers had a defenseman named Thomas Eriksson who was described that way.

With Pitkanen, the contract as mentioned above was a primary issue but remember after the trade to Edmonton, Eric Desjardins wrote in a publication that:

"The other courageous move was trading young defenseman Joni Pitkanen to the Oilers," he said. "He has all the talent in the world, he's strong as a horse and he's as powerful a skater as Al Iafrate was, but he is also very immature."

"(Holmgren) knew the guys couldn't put up with Pitkanen any more. They tried to give him support, but the youngster can't accept criticism and is very hard-headed. Even his (Finnish) compatriot Sami Kapanen had trouble with him and asked me to deal with it because he couldn't do it any more."

Translated from Montreal La Presse

IIRC, at least one Edmonton player went public with comments about a personality conflict following Pitkanen's Oilers' stay.

CavemanLawyer 12-04-2013 06:09 PM

Came here to post that Desjardins article. They are many more like from others out there from media sources all repeating it. The guy was just...weird. You know you have major problems when Kapenen even gets tired of dealing with you.

I remember reading maybe Primeau, or someone, mentioning that the booing in Philly would sometimes make Pitkinen cry in between periods. All signs point to that he is just your normal guy who never "hardenened up" for the pros. I know for sure If I was getting boo'ed by every client in my office, I might break down and cry. His personality was that of your everyday man, rather than your "hardenened up athlete".

Pantokrator 12-04-2013 06:23 PM

If I recall, he had a period where he was really coming into his own and then had a serious injury after which he did not re-establish himself and then the team soured on him.

I thought the team should have had more patience, but that is my general attitude anyway, like David Poile. I think the team should have had more patience with JVR. Downie, Versteeg, etc., although I did not mind the trading away of Patrick Sharp, which has turned out to be one of the worst trades ever.

LegionOfDoom91 12-04-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator (Post 75532079)
If I recall, he had a period where he was really coming into his own and then had a serious injury after which he did not re-establish himself and then the team soured on him.

I thought the team should have had more patience, but that is my general attitude anyway, like David Poile. I think the team should have had more patience with JVR. Downie, Versteeg, etc., although I did not mind the trading away of Patrick Sharp, which has turned out to be one of the worst trades ever.

How does he fit in there with the other two? I didn't mind Versteeg but he basically was the same player now as he was when played here if not worse.

Appleyard 12-04-2013 06:58 PM

Yeh, if Sami Kapanen and Eric Desjardins are both having trouble getting along/even getting through to someone...

Very un-Finnish sounding guy as well! ;p Of the ~20 Finns I have met and 8 I would call good friends all have Sisu brimming over in them!

I remember being happy as hell when we drafted him... I have always had a soft spot for Finnish hockey players and he seemed like he had everything to be a franchise d man. That was actually the first draft I remember taking an interest in.

Mgkibbles 12-04-2013 08:14 PM

Joni sounds like an interesting cat.

Norm MacDonald 12-04-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 75528799)
tbh, who cares about Fedoruk?

Would you rather have a 4th line scrub, or young, budding defenseman?

Mind you, I'm sure it had more to do than just Fedoruk

Because if Fedoruk didn't like him, other guys in the locker room probably didn't like him either.

Mkoll 12-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winston Wolf (Post 75521107)
He was rumored to be an immature introvert that had a hard time getting along with teammates. Evidence of that is him living in a hotel with his mother the whole time he was in Edmonton.

It's a shame he was so awkward, the season where he put up 46 points in 58 games was one of the best seasons I've ever seen a young Flyers defenseman have.

cultural difference. Finns have a high number of people who could be perceived as introverts. Something US society generally sees as a negative thing.

Flyotes 12-05-2013 08:21 AM

"If you don't fit, you quit."

A shame though. Talented guy-- wish things had gone better. Needs to recover now, as well.