HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT.. Thrashers Heatly and Snyder Seriously injured (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15528)

Lundyfan 09-30-2003 02:57 AM

OT.. Thrashers Heatly and Snyder Seriously injured

In a one car accident last night. Very sad....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1626742

JR#9* 09-30-2003 03:12 AM

That's really unfortunate news.Heatley apperas to be OK but will miss some time but Snyder's injuries appear to be pretty serious.

Hopefully he makes a full comeback and comes out of this OK.

JCProdigy 09-30-2003 03:13 AM

Wow, real sad. It sounds like Snyder is in really bad condition. I hope he can somehow pull through and be able to live a normal life. If this is really a case of Heatly losing control of the car because of driving too fast then it's another unfortunate situation were a youn guy tends to think he is invincible when obviously he isn't. Ironically right now I'm hearing a commercial on the radio about Too Fast, Too Furious 2 as I'm typing this. It shows how popular the 'car culture' has become with young adults these days.

Lundyfan 09-30-2003 03:15 AM

Unfortunately it takes something like this to make them realize they aren't invincible.. Hopefully Snyder will recover fully.

Fitzlax99 09-30-2003 03:19 AM

If the accident was caused by reckless driving, do you think there is a possibility of legal action? I hope there wasnt alcohol or something else involved.

I wonder what the team is going to do...

JCProdigy 09-30-2003 03:24 AM

Here's another link about the accident:

Link

Really I could care less about their hockey careers as they are human beings first before hockey players. It's more important that they fully recover physically and mentally then if they'll play this season or what their team will do now.

They did say in the article that Heatly will be charged in connection with the accident, which means he could be in ALOT of trouble, especially if the worst were to happen: Snyder passes away.

#37-#93-#27* 09-30-2003 07:22 AM

Hope they end up ok. That's what happens when you're 22 and drive a Ferrari!

n8 09-30-2003 07:55 AM

i don't like how vague the story is. no road conditions given. heatley's statement was given so we don't know what happened. but that's how these articles go. i know, russian mafia laid tire spikes :D just a joke!

True Blue 09-30-2003 08:00 AM

"Atlanta Thrashers star Dany Heatley was charged with driving recklessly when he veered off a road and slammed his sportscar into a wall at about 80 mph, leaving him with a broken jaw and teammate Dan Snyder critically injured. "

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ey-crash_x.htm

Melrose_Jr. 09-30-2003 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCProdigy
They did say in the article that Heatly will be charged in connection with the accident, which means he could be in ALOT of trouble, especially if the worst were to happen: Snyder passes away.

Here's the latest update from TSN

Quote:

Heatley has received five seperate charges resulting from the accident, the most serious of which is 'serious injury by a vehicle' - a felony. If convicted of this, Heatley faces between one and 15 years in prison. He also received four misdemeanor charges: wreckless driving, driving too fast for conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object.
What do you guys think about the "EA Sports curse"? :eek:

JR#9* 09-30-2003 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
What do you guys think about the "EA Sports curse"? :eek:

I heard something about this in the past but what are some others who've been coverboys that had mishaps??Anybody know?

Bluenote13 09-30-2003 08:17 AM

All I can say is that its a shame. I always have a favorite player outside of the Ranger's and ever since his rookie year it's been Heatley. He's the exact type of player i've always wanted the Rangers to cultivate from the draft. I think Dany's a great character kid, & a throwback to the old style of hockey players, though his skills are just as good as any current superstar.

He's 22 & carrying an expansion franchise on his shoulders. They teach these kids all about hockey, what its like on the ice, on the road, etc. But away from hockey, most of these guys are immature, non-disciplined, and they can have anything they desire. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Barnaby 09-30-2003 08:20 AM

What a tragedy. Heatley sounds like he'll be okay in the end, but Snyder sounds really bad. I really wish him the best. Hopefully, he'll be able to make a full recovery.

As far as the accident goes... if my friends had a Ferrari, they would be flying too. Its not the right thing to do, but I wouldn't say Heatley is a bad person or anything.

Melrose_Jr. 09-30-2003 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR#9
I heard something about this in the past but what are some others who've been coverboys that had mishaps??Anybody know?

I found this piece written before Heatley's crash.

http://www.gateway.ualberta.ca/view.php?aid=1408

Quote:

On deck for the NBA and NHL covers this year are the Raptors? star Vince Carter and the Thrashers? Dany Heatley. Neither one can be said to deserve this burden.
Pretty freaky stuff.

Edge 09-30-2003 09:35 AM

unfortunate but nothing i'd consider sad. Sorry i dont really feel much for them.

I voluneered at a hospital in college and saw kids and adults who were the victims of "stunts" like this by others. i saw cancer patients, babies who were left for dead, you name it.

Funny how it changes your perspective of who deserves your sympathy and prayers.

JCProdigy 09-30-2003 11:11 AM

You can get charged for hitting an inanimate object on top of everything? That just strikes me as weird.

On the EA sports curse. Evidently Vick was the cover boy for Maden this year and he's out for half the season so add another log to that fire.

It doesn't matter if you're a hockey player or a college student or a garbage man, ALOT of young drivers do the things that Heatly was doing the other night. Whether he was driving a Ferrari or a a Volvo he would have lost control going that speed on that road. Accidents like this do happen every day. We just don't hear about them because they involve normal young adults rather then high profile sports stars. Unfortunately it's made even worse by the increase in poplularity of aftermarket car modding that has become prevelant among young drivers with enough money.

Also, Edge, I understand where you're coming from but I can't say that I've, like most all other young people, haven't done stupid things in my life. I was just fortunate enough to get away with it. It's those that don't learn from their past mistakes that I have no sorrow for. My real sadness in this instance is reserved for these players families who are bearing the brunt of the pain and are helpless.

shmekel 09-30-2003 11:32 AM

Two words came to mind when I first saw this:

Pelle Lindburgh.

#37-#93-#27* 09-30-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmekel
Two words came to mind when I first saw this:

Pelle Lindburgh.

Who is he?

<b>EA Sports curse lives on:</b>
Michael Vick injured
Marshall Faulk injured
Donovan McNab injured
Terrell Davis injured - forced to retire
Kurt Warner injured - lost starting job

Miguel Tejada went down hill since
Randy Johnson went down hill since
Eddie George went down hill since
Jeff Freisen went down hill since
Jarome Iginla had a terrible start

Joe Thornton arrested in a bar fight
And now Dany Heatley.

All these players had this happen to them right after being on the EA Sports cover.

shmekel 09-30-2003 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Who is he?

Pelle Lindburgh was a young, phenom goalie for the Flyers during the early 80s. In '85 he crashed his Porsche, leaving him brain dead.
Senseless death. Also speeding.

riz 09-30-2003 02:41 PM

All in all, this is very unfortunate and I hope Snyder pulls through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCProdigy
It's those that don't learn from their past mistakes that I have no sorrow for.

I noticed in the AJC story that this wasn't the first time Heatley has had an accident in this neighbourhood. AJC article
And reading the stories surrounding this latest accident, it seems apparent that it was not unlike for Heatley to speed down those streets. Shame :dunno:

shmekel 09-30-2003 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz
All in all, this is very unfortunate and I hope Snyder pulls through.
<Snip>
And reading the stories surrounding this latest accident, it seems apparent that it was not unlike for Heatley to speed down those streets. </Snip>

. . . and Snyder paid the price.

Edge 09-30-2003 03:33 PM

I'm not saying that Heatly should be dragged into the street and shot.

Yes he did what a lot of young drivers did, i am not saying he is EVIL.

However, now he must pay the consequence and I dont feel sorry for him, his pain or his circumstance. That doesn't mean I'm happy, but I'm not gonna lie and say i feel bad for him. He made his choice and this is the consequence.

Honestly I never did something like that in car, and never will. Maybe we need to get people to start having respect for life instead of saying "oh well we all did it".

I'll tell you what i tell the people who work under me

"I'm sorry gentleman but that just isn't good enough".

Maybe one of the biggest problems is Drivers ed isnt taken seriously anymore if it even exists in most schools, that includes canada and the us.

And as someone pointed out this isnt the first time this speeding mistake has happened with Danny.

Sadly though too many people think they are bigger then life. He knows better, for god's sake he went to college, it's not like he worked in 7-11.

For those reasons, i wont lose any sleep over what he did. The only thing i do hope is that it serves as a lesson, because people just dont get it. They never do. Any doubt about mankinds intelligence need only look at it's track record.

Edge 09-30-2003 03:45 PM

Cute to see Holly come out of the woodwork again on the atlanta board. I stand by what i say. If anyone doesnt agree, then all i ask is you do one thing. Go work for a hospital for even as little as 8 weeks.

shmekel 09-30-2003 03:51 PM

"However, now he must pay the consequence and I dont feel sorry for him, his pain or his circumstance. That doesn't mean I'm happy, but I'm not gonna lie and say i feel bad for him. He made his choice and this is the consequence."

Exactly.

Bird Law 09-30-2003 06:15 PM

Is Heatly really that much of a moron? What the **** is wrong with him??