HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Citizens petitioning to stop arena payments to Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1553335)

LadyStanley 12-05-2013 07:33 PM

Citizens petitioning to stop arena payments to Blue Jackets
 
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...payments.html?

Quote:

A citizens’ group has turned in petitions seeking a public vote to stop the city from paying on its purchase contract for Nationwide Arena.

The Columbus Coalition for Responsive Government submitted 17,200 signatures to the Columbus City Clerk office today to amend the purchase ordinance and stop payments to purchase the arena by Jan. 2016.

The group needs a little less than 5,000 of those signatures to be validated by the Franklin County Board of Elections to get the issue on the ballot.

City officials wouldn’t comment on the coalition’s proposal. In general, City Attorney Richard C. Pfeiffer Jr. said, contracts cannot be undone at the ballot box.

Samkow 12-05-2013 07:57 PM

This group had a ballot initiative stopped last year due to fraudulent signatures. Wouldn't count on all of them being real this time either. :laugh:

Edit: I see the article mentioned that at the bottom.

yukoner88 12-05-2013 07:58 PM

what does this do to the blue jackets lease if the payments are brought to a halt? Could that terminate the lease?

Acesolid 12-05-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 75593077)

Yeah, I agree with the City Attorney. You cant undo a contract at the ballot box!

I mean, seriously! That's just silly!

mouser 12-05-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acesolid (Post 75596097)
Yeah, I agree with the City Attorney. You cant undo a contract at the ballot box!

I mean, seriously! That's just silly!

So basically the advocacy group wants the city to intentionally default on a contract? Not seeing that go over well.

aqib 12-05-2013 08:51 PM

I didn't realize you could do something like this that long after the deal went into effect.

Man Bear Pig 12-05-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aqib (Post 75603257)
I didn't realize you could do something like this that long after the deal went into effect.

It's a petition, they rarely ever turn into anything unless there's a ridiculous amount of signatures.

cheswick 12-06-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 75595835)
This group had a ballot initiative stopped last year due to fraudulent signatures. Wouldn't count on all of them being real this time either. :laugh:

Edit: I see the article mentioned that at the bottom.

The article also states they were recently successful in obtaining the signatures for a vote on campain spending.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

tarheelhockey 12-06-2013 12:34 PM

Doesn't seem to have much to do with opinions on the team. More of a principled stand against government subsidies.

Samkow 12-07-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 75646443)
Doesn't seem to have much to do with opinions on the team. More of a principled stand against government subsidies.

Actually, this is about a group that's trying to get casino money spent on their own pet projects.(in this case, public financing for elections so they can unseat deep pocketed incumbents)

aqib 12-07-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 75603817)
It's a petition, they rarely ever turn into anything unless there's a ridiculous amount of signatures.

We've had a few citizen run petition drives in Ohio. In 2011 the state passed a law restricting the bargaining rights of public employees. There was a petition drive, to get it on the ballot. Like the Glendale folks they had a deadline before they had to get the signatures before it was too late.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.