HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Would you bring back Gionta at a reduced cap-hit? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1553903)

Lebowski 12-06-2013 09:25 AM

Would you bring back Gionta at a reduced cap-hit?

Seeing how he still provides solid secondary scoring and leadership, I've entertained the idea of bringing him back on a short term contract (I'm thinking 2 to 3 years max) at a reduced cap-hit. Anything from 2,5M to 3,5M would be fine by me.

He's not ideal in a top 6 role, but say we manage to lure one of the big fish in Montréal to play on the top 6, I'd love to keep Gionta in a sheltered role. Plus, he's a good fit on Plekanec's wing and I don't see any of the younger players being ready to assume a permanent job on the top 9, except for Bournival but I'd rather keep him on the 4th line and give him the opportunity to play more minutes when injuries occur.

Thoughts?

Mrb1p 12-06-2013 09:27 AM

I would... Under 2M.
Strip him of the C.
But we need to add weight/speed on the 1st and 2nd line... Gios place is on the third.

Or at the same time, Leblanc and Bournival could fill in a similar/better way

Kenny Powders 12-06-2013 09:27 AM

Big O nope.

We have kids pushing behind and I would love to see Bournival at Gionta spot.

Patrick Holland is a guy that I would like to see next year too.

Gio is good for us, but this is his last year.

PricePkPatch* 12-06-2013 09:28 AM

Too early to make that call yet.

I know it's the cheap answer, but it's the only one I can offer you.

JLP 12-06-2013 09:28 AM

I would not. Prefer finesse and creativity, Briere > Gio IMHO.

PricePkPatch* 12-06-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 75641163)
Too early to make that call yet.

I know it's the cheap answer, but it's the only one I can offer you.

Although, there's one thing that's 100% sure, in my mind:

If he stays, he will keep the C.

Coldplay 12-06-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 75641135)
I would... Under 2M.
Strip him of the C.
But we need to add weight/speed on the 1st and 2nd line... Gios place is on the third.

Why would we strip him of the C if he comes back?

Makes no sense.

He's good secondary scoring with hustle and effort/leadership at this point in his career, and he knows how to play rock solid defence. Bring him back if the price is right and the role/expectations are reduced.

Mrb1p 12-06-2013 09:30 AM

If he keeps the C, he needs to go.

LeHaboholique 12-06-2013 09:31 AM

Id like to give some young guys a chance, Gionta along with Cammy came here five years ago, (mind you Cammy was traded.) and began a new era-ish after Koivu left. That chapter has been bumpy to say the least and I for one am ready to see a new Chapter written where we start assuming the role of a young team with edge and promise. In no way do I hate Gionta for the exact statements you wrote above but I think its time to Grow away from the page turned in 2009.

PricePkPatch* 12-06-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 75641237)
If he keeps the C, he needs to go.

Then he needs to go.

Stripping Gionta of the C while he's staying would go against every effort MB and MT have done so far toward building our new team identity.

andy28 12-06-2013 09:32 AM

I've been really happy with the way Gionta has been playing lately. What a difference from the guy who last year was constantly wristing the puck at the goalie to get a faceoff. Obviously, he was suffering from his injuries before. That said, we need to get bigger up front.

Redux91 12-06-2013 09:32 AM

Desharnais 5"6
Gallagher 5"8
Briere 5"9
Gionta 5'7

do you know what they all have in common outside being under 5"9? they are all in our top 6 forwards group. and it has to stop.

i appreciate all giontas done for us the past 5 years and everything, but its time to move ON, i dont want to get into a whole size argument with anyone, but there was an instance last night where dougie hamilton gave someone the business in front of the net, and gionta came up to him to "defend" him and let me tell you, ..dougie did everything he could possibly do not to laugh in his face , im sure he was intimidated as ****

thanks for the effort brian, but we need someone at that position with at LEAST some kind of size and who can pot 20 goals and there not THAT hard to find

we cant have a team where most of the smallest players in NHL make up our top lines, we just cant do it anymore, and if you tell me "well look at our record with the "small" guys we have" , well imagine how ****ing better it would be if they didnt get knocked around 60% of the time

size.does.matter.

WillHabs12 12-06-2013 09:33 AM

We can't have Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Brière in the same line-up for the playoff

shutehinside 12-06-2013 09:40 AM

As much as I like Gio but he's done.

We need to replace him with a more physical winger who can create space and add soem grit to the lineup or a skilled winger who can score.

I hope we can fill the spot with a rookie out of camp next year but if not, there are always a few good guys out there who can be had via trade or free agency.

He will be missed, his cap hit won't.

Bob b smith 12-06-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willhockey (Post 75641299)
We can't have Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Brière in the same line-up for the playoff

Same... Any of those players is more valuable to other teams right now. Other teams haven't crossed that threshold of too many small players... He can be a net positive for them, not for us.

Pax Macioretty 12-06-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willhockey (Post 75641299)

That's exactly what will happen this season, weather you like it or not. Even at a reduced cap hit, we need to get bigger on the wings, period.

Brainiac 12-06-2013 09:41 AM

Yeah, the problem is not Gionta himself, the problem is the 4 diminutive forwards in our top 9. At least one of them has to be replaced with a bigger body.

Gallgher is not going anywhere, Briere has a NMC and Desharnais still has 3 years left on his contract. Letting Gionta go is the easy solution.

Blind Gardien 12-06-2013 09:41 AM

I voted "No"... I'm assuming "at a reduced cap hit" only means something that Gionta would be remotely likely to accept. So that to me is like $3M min. Obviously he can get that much or more on the UFA market, so there's no question of getting him back at a lower cap hit than that.

There is a threshold where I guess I'd take him back at an unrealistically reduced cap hit, though. He's a decent-ish player. I want the team to get bigger and better, though. For, say, $1.5M on a 1-year deal, I'd take him back. That would be a good enough mega-bargain that couldn't be passed up. But that's so far outside the realm of possibility that I voted "No".

Pierre Dagenais 12-06-2013 09:42 AM

Yes. He is solid defensively and can play against the opponent's top lines. Which one of our RWs can do that night in and night out?

Short-term and lower cap-hit.

dutchy29 12-06-2013 09:44 AM

I guess the sad part of this is gio was here before all the other small forwards ,has always been consistent 0.5ppg player and is our captain. But I feel he never really got any love from our fanbase. If gio goes next seson his leadership will b mssed. Its true he doesn't really fit with the future of the team but id be happier getting rid of briere

Redux91 12-06-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 75641561)
Yeah, the problem is not Gionta himself, the problem is the 4 diminutive forwards in our top 9. At least one of them has to be replaced with a bigger body.

Gallgher is not going anywhere, Briere has a NMC and Desharnais still has 3 years left on his contract. Letting Gionta go is the easy solution.

this is exactly the way i see it

one of thems gotta go, and the circumstances lead to gionta being the one who has to go, it wont be at the deadline (shame), but i sincerely doubt they resign gionta when his 5 mill basically becomes subbans 2.8 + 5 mill next year.
He's gone and i dont even have a doubt about it.

andy28 12-06-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchy29 (Post 75641657)
But I feel he never really got any love from our fanbase.

I think before last season Gionta was pretty popular. He was really good his first two seasons.

Lebowski 12-06-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 75641287)
Desharnais 5"6
Gallagher 5"8
Briere 5"9
Gionta 5'7

do you know what they all have in common outside being under 5"9? they are all in our top 6 forwards group. and it has to stop.

i appreciate all giontas done for us the past 5 years and everything, but its time to move ON, i dont want to get into a whole size argument with anyone, but there was an instance last night where dougie hamilton gave someone the business in front of the net, and gionta came up to him to "defend" him and let me tell you, ..dougie did everything he could possibly do not to laugh in his face , im sure he was intimidated as ****

thanks for the effort brian, but we need someone at that position with at LEAST some kind of size and who can pot 20 goals and there not THAT hard to find

we cant have a team where most of the smallest players in NHL make up our top lines, we just cant do it anymore, and if you tell me "well look at our record with the "small" guys we have" , well imagine how ****ing better it would be if they didnt get knocked around 60% of the time

size.does.matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against moving on and bringing someone of equal talent/impact with added size... But first you need to FIND those guys, and they are the kind of guys that get a lot of attention on the FA market. Not only we may not be able to sign one of them, but if we do expect to overpay for him.

We currently have a winger with size on a very affordable contract that provides secondary scoring and he's the scapegoat of both the coach and the fanbase. Go figure.

I'm not a Gionta fan by any means, but I like winning games. If the big plan is to promote Holland or Leblanc to fill in Gionta's shoes next season... Ouch. Don't expect to get 20+ goals 40-50 points out of them. And considering we already lack firepower on the top lines, I wouldn't be too happy taking away our secondary scoring like that.

I guess letting Gionta walk is fine as long as you can find someone that can replace him while adding "size" to the line-up... But the odds of us finding that type of guy at a reasonable price are low.

Also, I know how intangibles are laughed at on this board, but it is still an aspect of the game that can't be overlooked. Ottawa replaced Alfredsson with a superior player in Bobby Ryan, but their team isn't performing anywhere close to what they expected. Alfie might be part of the reason, maybe he isn't, but it's still something that can't be ignored. Who would get the C anyway if Gionta leaves, Gorges? Meh.

overlords 12-06-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 75641169)
I would not. Prefer finesse and creativity, Briere > Gio IMHO.

So Gionta produces more, is miles ahead defensively and doesn't need to be babysat when the going gets tough, is slightly younger and more physically robust, but Briere is better?

Okay.

RussCourtnallsGhost 12-06-2013 09:51 AM

At a very reasonable contract, definitely. He could be a great 3rd line winger in his twilight years. I doubt he'll stay though, he'll go somewhere for more cash and better term.