HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Joe Thornton? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=155592)

Diesel 07-28-2005 03:36 PM

Joe Thornton?

Sounds like he may get traded. The B's offered him a lowball offer (less than qualifying). I guess they could qualify him at the last minute, but somehow i don't see that happening. Their trade leverage won't be that great either, because they either need to take what they can get or he'll become a UFA. We'd have to agree to terms on a contract ahead of time, and I know he'd be expensive, and I know we need at least one more defenseman. BUT... this is Joe Thornton we're talking about. Anybody think we could pull something off? I know GKJ is going to hate me (if he doesn't already), but I have to throw Handzus out there again. How about...

Handzus + Potulny (or some other mid level prospect) + 20th overall + 2006 2nd rounder for Thornton? That would put us at right around the cap limit, but we could still buy out Brashear and possibly make a trade or two that give us the cap space to sign a defenseman. If Thornton is on the trading block, i gotta think Clarke will at least make a call.

FlyersProspect2 07-28-2005 03:49 PM

Anything involving a Thornton trade will have to include Jeff Carter. There fore it will not happen. We can't sign every big name free agent there is and still expect to be under the cap. We are building with youth through the draft, we are not building through free agency.

Chainsaw 07-28-2005 04:23 PM

Great Idea! while were at it lets do a 3 way trade with the Devils and Atlanta and get Brodeur, Kovalchuk i think would help our RW issues, all for Handzus and a 5th Round pick for the future!!!!!

Jester 07-28-2005 05:02 PM

i'd love to have Thornton... and i wouldn't balk on trading Carter for him so quickly... Thornton is only 26, it isn't as if you are giving up the future in acquiring him. the only drawback is that he is UFA capable shortly.

Diesel 07-28-2005 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
Great Idea! while were at it lets do a 3 way trade with the Devils and Atlanta and get Brodeur, Kovalchuk i think would help our RW issues, all for Handzus and a 5th Round pick for the future!!!!!

If the Bruins do trade Thornton, they aren't going to get as much for him as you think. He'll be a UFA next year.

TRask 07-28-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
If the Bruins do trade Thornton, they aren't going to get as much for him as you think. He'll be a UFA next year.

Im still sure theres teams out there that would offer more then Handzus and a few picks for Joe. Even so tho, theres no way the B's would take an offer like that right now. Worst case theyd qualify him and trade him closer to march at the deadline when teams would start bidding for him for their playoff run.

MojoJojo 07-28-2005 05:56 PM

How can you trade him when he doesnt even have a contract? I mean is he going to get 7 mil for the next 5 years, or 5 mil for one year and then he's a free agent? Kinda effects his trade value, no?

Roger's Pancreas* 07-28-2005 05:57 PM

We have two great young players who signed with the Flyers for NHL MINIMUM WAGE and someon'es suggesting we trade one of them for Joe who is upset for being offered five million. You're hilarious.

Toonces 07-28-2005 06:06 PM

No Thornton please.

Yeah, he's a big, powerful player, but I don't think he would be worth it unless he would come alot cheaper. The money spent on Thornton would be better spent on a position that we are not very deep in.

Lets see how Carter and Richards do before going out and getting another center.

Flyman 07-29-2005 05:17 AM

Hmmm, Thornton The Player is awfully good and valuable but Thornton The Guy, I'm not fond of! It seems he's becoming a poison for the Bruins, he just wants money. I don't think he's gonna find any GM to spent 6M$ a year (assuming a long term contract) in this new system... :shakehead

GKJ 07-29-2005 06:28 AM

I'm still waiting for Joe Thornton to show up for the playoffs in 2003 and 2004.

Blindside9711 07-29-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I'm still waiting for Joe Thornton to show up for the playoffs in 2003 and 2004.

2003 you can make a case for but in all fairness, the guy was playing with a bunch of broken ribs in 04. I'm pretty sure he was contributing as much as he could in his condition.

Jester 07-29-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
We have two great young players who signed with the Flyers for NHL MINIMUM WAGE and someon'es suggesting we trade one of them for Joe who is upset for being offered five million. You're hilarious.

and we're talking about a guy that cracked 100 pts in the dead-scoring era of the NHL... i'm as stoked about Carter as anyone else, but he could work out very well and STILL never reach 100 pts in the NHL...

Stonehands77 07-29-2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
2003 you can make a case for but in all fairness, the guy was playing with a bunch of broken ribs in 04. I'm pretty sure he was contributing as much as he could in his condition.

Then he shouldn't have been playing, since he hurt the Bruins playing at that level more than helped. Watching that series, it was obvious he just couldn't do it. I understand the wanting to play through pain and all, but you've got to know when that's helping and when it's hurting. Just a hint: If you can't do anything on the ice, it's hurting the team.

At any rate, I don't see the Flyers making a move for Thornton. While he's most things Bobby Clarke loves in a player (big, nasty, a center, and can even score), there's a couple of issues: 1. he'll be UFA eligible next season, 2. it'd take too much to get his rights this year, 3. he's asking for too much money in the modern NHL. I do think that the Bruins will keep him, since he's their franchise center, but the two sides there will have to work together on this.

mikedifr 07-29-2005 08:51 AM

Ignoring what it would take to get him a trade, the mere thought that Thornton , who is a huge playmaker and passer, might be the big center we need with Gagne is very interesting.

Roger's Pancreas* 07-29-2005 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
and we're talking about a guy that cracked 100 pts in the dead-scoring era of the NHL... i'm as stoked about Carter as anyone else, but he could work out very well and STILL never reach 100 pts in the NHL...

First of all he may never reach 100 points again for all we know and with our luck that would end up happening. Second, I don't give a damn what he does in the regular season because that's only the first step. He has gone two playoff runs without scoring a single point. You can make as many excuses for him as you'd like but he's not consistent come playoff time and that's what earned Amonte/LeClair their ticket out of town IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 07-29-2005 08:58 AM

We'd be absolutely huge down the middle...I'd pass though. Much more glaring need for big bully defenseman. Nice job on the Carter/Richards signings...Clarkie looks like he was really prepared for the new Economic landscape, or he could have gotten lucky. :)

MojoJojo 07-29-2005 09:03 AM

Thorton would be great on any team. I predict he will sign a one year qualifying offer and become a trade deadline acquisition. I know this is going to make some stomachs turn, but near the deadline, how about Zeus + pick + prospect for Joe? Obviously Zeus brings a lot to the table for us under Hitch, but you cant deny this would be a huge upgrade down the middle, and Primeau is quite capable of playing the shut down role. Flyers would be the Ideal team for Thorton, and with JR's contract running out, we would actually have room to resign him.

GKJ 07-29-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711

I watched every game of that series, he was absolutely invisible.

FlyersProspect2 07-29-2005 09:12 AM

To get him, we would have to over pay for him. Then he's going to want to sign a huge contract, he just turned down a 5 year 25 million deal with the Bruins. We CAN'T spend big money anymore. Other than a few d man and maybe a winger, were going with what we have on the team. Trading away prospects is not what were going to do now.

MojoJojo 07-29-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:

I watched every game of that series, he was absolutely invisible.

I watched it too, and he was obviously playing injured. He wasnt nearly the player he was in the regular season.

cneely 07-29-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
He has gone two playoff runs without scoring a single point.

Actually, you're facts are wrong. He had 3 points in 5 games in 02/03.
The point about him not being a playoff performer to date though, is valid.

Let me ask all of you a serious question.
What is Joe Thornton worth? We all know his strengths - good size and excellent skills, tough as nails. And his weaknesses - questionable heart, lack of clutch performance. What should he get in todays NHL? I'm a litttle confused at the thread starter's comment that OC "lowballed" him. He did offer 5 years 25 million dollars. Does 5.5 get his attention? 6? Is he worth more?

GKJ 07-29-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I watched it too, and he was obviously playing injured. He wasnt nearly the player he was in the regular season.

When you're the franchise player, that isn't an excuse. He didn't even manage a single point. Playing with some of the guys the Bruins had scoring for them, I could have had at least 1 point...

cneely 07-29-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

When you're the franchise player, that isn't an excuse. He didn't even manage a single point. Playing with some of the guys the Bruins had scoring for them, I could have had at least 1 point...

In his defence, he did make some solid plays. There were at least 2 or 3 that Murray failed to convert. I can't defend him too much though, either you're healthy enough to play, or you aren't. If you aren't, you're just hurting the team, and you should get off the ice.

GagneScores12 07-29-2005 04:22 PM

Call me crazy, but I think we need to stay away from Joe Thornton. It seems he's becoming a cancer in Boston and I wouldn't want him to bring that attitude to the locker room in Philadelphia. We just got over Big Baby Biatch Cakes and his disfunctional family clan. It's time to keep the team players over individual players.

However, if there one player from Boston who would look good in Philadelphia, I would love to Samsonov. Put him on a line with Gagne and Kapanen and you'd have a speed demon line that would be something else to watch.