HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Calvin de Haan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1555981)

Darth Milbury 12-08-2013 12:49 PM

Calvin de Haan

Whatdaya guys think of him? I have been pleasantly surprised, although I think he has a long way to go.

On Edge 12-08-2013 01:38 PM

I like what I've seen so far though only a few games.

Seems like a smart d-man who will improve as he gets more comfortable in the league. Good hockey sense and looks like he knew what he was doing with outlet passes. God knows we can use help there.

As sad as it is, I'm more comfortable with him on the ice than with any other defenseman we have at this point. Plays simple game and does not seem to try to do too much.

I have to say I also cringe every time I see him getting hit into the boards - worry about this kid's shoulders holding up.

blinkman360 12-08-2013 01:55 PM

IMO he's been our best defenseman since he came up.

If Hamonic can get back to playing like the Hamonic of old, I think that will be a great pairing for us.

JZCislesHockey 12-08-2013 02:08 PM

Really like him. Smart, careful player. Solid defensively with Streit like offensive upside.

A Pointed Stick 12-08-2013 02:20 PM

My hat is off to Jester who has been his number 1 fan. CdH is delivering. I just hope his shoulder hangs in there. I like the look of him with Hamonic or Hickey so far. The rest of the defense is manure.

BTrotts19 12-08-2013 02:51 PM

Gotta agree he has definitely been more than I expected. If when Vis/Strait get back, Ness will most likely be sent down but wondering who the 2nd would be. Carkner would be the next weakest but he is needed for certain games but would be a healthy scratch so not sure who else goes. Hopefully if he keeps up the good play, Idiot doesn't send him down.

SthlmNYI 12-08-2013 02:56 PM

Havn't watched any Isles games lately because of the uninspiring play.. How does de Haan compare to Donovan on the big stage?

PK Cronin 12-08-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTrotts19 (Post 75788383)
Gotta agree he has definitely been more than I expected. If when Vis/Strait get back, Ness will most likely be sent down but wondering who the 2nd would be. Carkner would be the next weakest but he is needed for certain games but would be a healthy scratch so not sure who else goes. Hopefully if he keeps up the good play, Idiot doesn't send him down.

Why exactly is Carkner needed? Why do some of you insist on that? He's been inserted in the lineup for his physical presence in various games and is one of our weakest defenders in front of the net. He doesn't clear the front or hit anyone, he just runs around looking for fights taking himself out of position for half the game. It's ridiculous to think we need a huge pylon who can't skate and the only thing he's half decent at is punching people...and he goes out of his way to do that.

PK Cronin 12-08-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SthlmNYI (Post 75788673)
Havn't watched any Isles games lately because of the uninspiring play.. How does de Haan compare to Donovan on the big stage?

He's less nervous I'd say, looks more comfortable.

blinkman360 12-08-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 75786275)
My hat is off to Jester who has been his number 1 fan. CdH is delivering. I just hope his shoulder hangs in there. I like the look of him with Hamonic or Hickey so far. The rest of the defense is manure.

What the heck man? No props for me?

Jester9881 12-09-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 75786275)

No props needed here. I'm just a fan like everyone else.... he's just a kid that I got to see a ton of, and when injuries befell him, a lot of misinformation got spread about him. He's not out of the woods yet though, and I don't like to see them using him like a 4th forward out there.... it goes against everything he's done as a hockey player since Juniors. More par for the course with this coaching staff though....

Jester9881 12-09-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SthlmNYI (Post 75788673)
How does de Haan compare to Donovan on the big stage?

As hockey players, regardless of level... the only two things Matt Donovan have over Calvin de Haan, are his shot, and his durability. I've compared Calvin to Kenny Jonsson, style wise before, and I stand by that. His best two attributes are tremendous poise, and extremely high hockey IQ. It's like if you put John Tavares' brain into a defenseman.

On Edge 12-09-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester9881 (Post 75851167)
No props needed here. I'm just a fan like everyone else.... he's just a kid that I got to see a ton of, and when injuries befell him, a lot of misinformation got spread about him. He's not out of the woods yet though, and I don't like to see them using him like a 4th forward out there.... it goes against everything he's done as a hockey player since Juniors. More par for the course with this coaching staff though....

Not sure I understand what you mean ... can you explain?

Killerlnstinct 12-09-2013 02:54 PM

The Islanders are toying with this (maybe as soon as tonight)

AMAC/Hickey
CDH/Hammer

PWJunior 12-09-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattMartin (Post 75853531)
The Islanders are toying with this (maybe as soon as tonight)

AMAC/Hickey
CDH/Hammer

I thought we saw quite a bit of those pairings in the last game.

Killerlnstinct 12-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 75853593)
I thought we saw quite a bit of those pairings in the last game.

Ok, I missed last game because of work (Thank God)..Maybe it's not breaking news.

PROMputt 12-09-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester9881 (Post 75851419)
As hockey players, regardless of level... the only two things Matt Donovan have over Calvin de Haan, are his shot, and his durability. I've compared Calvin to Kenny Jonsson, style wise before, and I stand by that. His best two attributes are tremendous poise, and extremely high hockey IQ. It's like if you put John Tavares' brain into a defenseman.

Love the Kenny Jonsson comparison because that who I see when I watch him play. I was afraid to post it here and get all the over blown reaction to pimping the kid up to much after a couple of games. Also deHann looks bigger to me on TV then I remember, did he grow/put on weight or am I wrong?

Jester9881 12-09-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Edge (Post 75853529)
Not sure I understand what you mean ... can you explain?

The misguided idea the coaching staff has been espousing that the Defensemen should be joining the rush and pinching in the zone like a 4th forward. "Activating the D"

A whole hell of a lot of good that has done huh? Our highest scoring defenseman is on pace for 30 points, the next highest is on pace for 16. Don't bother changing it though! We'll just keep on pissing up a rope and rotate the pairings instead.....

Jester9881 12-09-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROMputt (Post 75858969)
Love the Kenny Jonsson comparison because that who I see when I watch him play. I was afraid to post it here and get all the over blown reaction to pimping the kid up to much after a couple of games. Also deHann looks bigger to me on TV then I remember, did he grow/put on weight or am I wrong?

He's put on about 20lbs since he was drafted.... his frame is basically the same though. Don't think there's any difference in height.... don't expect him to get any bigger than he is, currently either.

A Pointed Stick 12-09-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360 (Post 75822611)
What the heck man? No props for me?

BIG props to you Blink. Actually big props to everyone of the BST crew in the prospects thread.

Seeing him play has been enlightening considering the nature of the injuries. His ability to play with the big boys now - guarded optimism.

Truly, him, Vis, Hickey and Hamonic... If Reinhart does make the leap next year and stick... I might actually get a little positive for a change.

A Pointed Stick 12-09-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester9881 (Post 75851167)

I do not understand how any coaching staff can deduce that an aggressive system is a good idea for this group with how poorly they've done so far using it no less. I bet if I analyzed the games between this year and last year where they ran a left wing lock vs. sending two guys in deep while activating the defense the difference in ratio of wins vs. losses between the two would be staggering.

And I still see two forwards caught deep trailing the puck carrier... and I still see one defenseman pinch while the other goes off to change and they get caught... It is just stupid at this point.

PWJunior 12-09-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester9881 (Post 75851419)

That's pretty funny Jester, but I agree with you. CDH's hockey sense is his best attribute and that's a great thing to have for NHL success. I really like CDH's skating, it's effortless with good 4-way mobility. I can see the KJ comparison, I am hoping for a Dan Hamhuis clone. There still might be some offensive upside, but the injuries and the resulting lost time has definitely hurt him. If he can stay healthy and play regularly, maybe he can recapture some of his offensive prowess from the OHL in time.

blinkman360 12-10-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 75861637)
BIG props to you Blink. Actually big props to everyone of the BST crew in the prospects thread.

Seeing him play has been enlightening considering the nature of the injuries. His ability to play with the big boys now - guarded optimism.

Truly, him, Vis, Hickey and Hamonic... If Reinhart does make the leap next year and stick... I might actually get a little positive for a change.

I've said it a few times in the prospect thread, but Griff is the one prospect we have that I'm certain will not only pan out, but give us reliable minutes right out of the gate. He is so advanced defensively and physically, IMO he will at worst be an Alzner type. At best? The sky is the limit for him. All depends on how his offense translates.

Either way, next year could look a lot different with a healthy Vis, healthy Strait, an established deHaan and an emerging Reinhart. I don't necessarily think that this team needs to go out and spend big money on a UFA to fix the D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 75862377)
That's pretty funny Jester, but I agree with you. CDH's hockey sense is his best attribute and that's a great thing to have for NHL success. I really like CDH's skating, it's effortless with good 4-way mobility. I can see the KJ comparison, I am hoping for a Dan Hamhuis clone. There still might be some offensive upside, but the injuries and the resulting lost time has definitely hurt him. If he can stay healthy and play regularly, maybe he can recapture some of his offensive prowess from the OHL in time.

I think once CdH settles in and becomes comfortable in the NHL, you will start to see more offense out of him. He already has shown flashes.

Still, I think giving him some time on PP1 would be a good idea. Especially with Vis out. He's the closest thing we have to that kind of QB.

Felix Unger 12-10-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 75861871)
I do not understand how any coaching staff can deduce that an aggressive system is a good idea for this group with how poorly they've done so far using it no less. I bet if I analyzed the games between this year and last year where they ran a left wing lock vs. sending two guys in deep while activating the defense the difference in ratio of wins vs. losses between the two would be staggering.

I don't know. I've thought about this a bit. The response to any 1-2-2 is to dump and chase, right? NYI used to played a trapping system with Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo-Hickey-Visnovsky and a different system with the top line.

That system worked because Visnovsky did a GREAT job neutralizing the dump and chase by getting the puck, being poised, and moving it while or after the opposing forwards committed. NYI just don't have that kind of confident puckhandler now.

For all the teams I've ever seen being successful with 1-2-2's, there's always have been a confident, quick puck-mover that made it work. (Niedermeyer is the exemplar, but Redden was great at it, too). NYI just doesn't have one right now.

This is why I'm muted when criticizing the coach. I don't know what to do either.

Darth Milbury 12-10-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan-o16 (Post 75898847)
I don't know. I've thought about this a bit. The response to any 1-2-2 is to dump and chase, right? NYI used to played a trapping system with Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo-Hickey-Visnovsky and a different system with the top line.

That system worked because Visnovsky did a GREAT job neutralizing the dump and chase by getting the puck, being poised, and moving it while or after the opposing forwards committed. NYI just don't have that kind of confident puckhandler now.

For all the teams I've ever seen being successful with 1-2-2's, there's always have been a confident, quick puck-mover that made it work. (Niedermeyer is the exemplar, but Redden was great at it, too). NYI just doesn't have one right now.

This is why I'm muted when criticizing the coach. I don't know what to do either.

Dan, it is scary how insightful and observant you are. :handclap: