HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Scouting Report: (Sept. 29th) Jason Ward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15573)

Darz 09-30-2003 07:09 AM

Scouting Report: (Sept. 29th) Jason Ward

Rewind the clock about a year. The habs release their protected list for the upcoming waiver draft. Not surprisingly, left off the list is Jason Ward. Nobody takes notice, nobody cares. He's just another 1st round pick gone bad. Every single team in the league has the opportunity to grab him, every single team declines. With good reason...he can't skate, he's injury prone, he just isn't NHL material.
Back to present day. Habs fans and media talk about Ward as a lock to make the habs line up, maybe as a first liner, maybe third liner, definately a player that needs to be protected for the upcoming waiver draft. with good reason, he's young, has NHL size, and offensive potential. Every single team in the league would nab him if left unprotected.
Like the old cigerette ad used to state....'You've come a long way, baby.'
Jason Ward proved last year that he still has the potential to be a valuable NHL forward. He has decent offensive skills and can play a crash and bang style of game. He seems capable of keeping up with the NHL pace, which until last year seemed to be his achilles heel.
Ward is still not a great skater, and he still has to prove he can play at the NHL level for an extended period of time. He also has to still be considered injury prone, and it would be nice if he'd add a couple more pounds to his 6'3" frame.
I don't think there was a single habs fan disappointed with Ward's season last year and like most I expect to see Ward in the habs season starting roster, either proving a little offensive to the third line, or adding some grit to one of the top two lines.
Mr. Ward, you now have our attention......

NEXT WEEK: MARCEL HOSSA

komisakick ass 09-30-2003 07:24 AM

Thank you Darz! :handclap:
I'm agree with you, Ward should be in the starting lineup because he have really improve last year. He is gonna be a great add of size to the habs.
Go Jason :yo:

StanleyCH25 09-30-2003 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Rewind the clock about a year. The habs release their protected list for the upcoming waiver draft. Not surprisingly, left off the list is Jason Ward. Nobody takes notice, nobody cares. He's just another 1st round pick gone bad. Every single team in the league has the opportunity to grab him, every single team declines. With good reason...he can't skate, he's injury prone, he just isn't NHL material.
Back to present day. Habs fans and media talk about Ward as a lock to make the habs line up, maybe as a first liner, maybe third liner, definately a player that needs to be protected for the upcoming waiver draft. with good reason, he's young, has NHL size, and offensive potential. Every single team in the league would nab him if left unprotected.
Like the old cigerette ad used to state....'You've come a long way, baby.'
Jason Ward proved last year that he still has the potential to be a valuable NHL forward. He has decent offensive skills and can play a crash and bang style of game. He seems capable of keeping up with the NHL pace, which until last year seemed to be his achilles heel.
Ward is still not a great skater, and he still has to prove he can play at the NHL level for an extended period of time. He also has to still be considered injury prone, and it would be nice if he'd add a couple more pounds to his 6'3" frame.
I don't think there was a single habs fan disappointed with Ward's season last year and like most I expect to see Ward in the habs season starting roster, either proving a little offensive to the third line, or adding some grit to one of the top two lines.
Mr. Ward, you now have our attention......

NEXT WEEK: MARCEL HOSSA

All I have to say is that I wish people would calm down with the hype. He still hasn't proven anything other than he was able to play well in the last ? 10games of the NHL season. I believe he has good potential and could possibly make a good third liner but beyond that, I don't know if he has what it takes to be a top 6 forward in this league. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see how a 24 year old prospect goes from lost prospect status to top 6 forward in less than a year.

I wish him well and will definately be at his side the entire season but unlike some, I won't be disappointed if he is kept on the 3rd or 4th line instead.

mcphee 09-30-2003 09:42 AM

I think Ward is one of those players who are hard to judge because the sum is of greater value than the parts. He seems to be an awkward skater, without a great shot, not particularly tough or creative, but an effective player. He manages to anticipate well and has a knack for getting to the net when the puck does. Now he'll have to prove it at the NHL level. It may take some time, but I think he can be an effective player. 2nd or 3rd liner, I have no idea, that's why they play the games.

Capitano 09-30-2003 11:13 AM

I will jump on the Jason Ward bandwagon when I see him hit somebody each and every shift he plays. He'll never be a finesse player and his goals will come from hardwork and rebounds. If he wants to play with us, he HAS to play physically. A guy that big has to use his size if you ask me. I'm really hoping he plays a more physical role than I have seen so far this preseason.

Cap

Brisebois 09-30-2003 12:39 PM

As Darz said, we were all praying we had a huge power-forward when we drafted Jason Ward, and while those hopes have been dashed, it looks like he could pan out into a very decent aggressive, energetic third-line winger. His skating was always criticized, but he proved last year that he's ready to move up the escalator, despite his choppy skating. A few years ago, he was on the 'out', following the route of Brent Bilodeau and Terry Ryan, and seemed like another bad pick, but now the fans have revived their hopes in him.

By the way, welcome back, Darz. We missed you this past week.

oli500 09-30-2003 12:58 PM

from what ive seen in ward last year in the ahl, in the couple games i went to see him play was his ditermanation. This kid is not afraid to take a hit to score a goal. I might go abit to far but I like to compare him to Bertuzi. Bertuzi dident pan out before he was 25 and was traded 2 or 3 times before oppening eyes. Ward is still 24. For some reason those types of power foward takes time to develope and a team has to be patient with them because if there are not it could hurt them in the long run. From what I seen in Jasons past interviews and hockey games is that this guy well do anything to suceed in the Nhl level. So if we can be patient with him it might be a good think in the long run.

well said Darz

BLONG7 09-30-2003 01:01 PM

good job Darz... what a difference a year makes, he should have a good season, meaning 10-15 goals and 10-15 assists. I saw him play in preseason last year in Halifax and he was hitting everybody that night, let's hope that type of play will earn him a spot on the roster. I am sure that CJ will give Ward every chance to succeed!

didjuicythat 09-30-2003 04:19 PM

I think at 6 foot 3, 200 pounds, Jason Ward can be considered as a powerforward. He uses this size effectively along the boards and in front of the net. I'd say his biggest assets are his shot and his determination to fight for the puck night in and night out. After being drafted 11th overall in 1997, many felt he was a poor skater and had to work on his speed a lot in order to be able to compete at the NHL level. That's just what he did, since he has proved to be one of the Dogs' best skaters last year. It's clearly the aspect of this game he improved the most since being a draftee.

Ward is not considered yet as an offensive threat. He can chip in a few goals here and there, but won't put up the numbers you expect from a dominant powerforward. On the other hand, his defensive game is decent, as he's been used quite a few times on the PK unit with the Habs, and previoulsy with the Dogs. Also, he rarely makes mistakes and most of his passes out of the zone are pretty accurate.

I think it's fair to say Jason is expected to play in the NHL on a regular basis, as a new season approaches. As for predictions, I'll leave you guys speculate on that.

Sam I Am 10-02-2003 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano
I will jump on the Jason Ward bandwagon when I see him hit somebody each and every shift he plays. He'll never be a finesse player and his goals will come from hardwork and rebounds. If he wants to play with us, he HAS to play physically. A guy that big has to use his size if you ask me. I'm really hoping he plays a more physical role than I have seen so far this preseason.

Cap

I diagree. From what I've seen last year, Ward displays a good deal of finesse, strong-stickhandling ability and soft hands. Slick-skating...well you can't have it all...

If allowed to play with talented linemates, Ward is capable of putting up good numbers and will score by virtue of his talent as well as hard work.

Give him a decent centerman, 15 minutes of ice per game and powerplay duty and I believe Ward will flourish.

tritone 10-03-2003 12:20 AM

Totally Agree

I am glad to see that You mentioned Ward's awkward skating and lack of weight . Every time I see people singing Ward's praises I wonder if I'm the only one who sees that he hasn't fully developped yet and he may never turn into the player we were all hoping for . Having said that, I hope he does show that he can play with the big boys and put up some numbers . Great report as usual Darz!

Munchausen 10-03-2003 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritone
he may never turn into the player we were all hoping for.

Well I think this is pretty much a given. However that doesn't mean Ward cannot be a valuable player for us, as soon as next year. Ward does play a crash and bang style and is intelligent on the ice. He's also a go-to guy. Nothing wrong with his skating except for the fact that it's only average by NHL standards (yes it is, he worked on it and it now is).