HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Preds parting with Orszagh, Hnidy and Haydar. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=155823)

triggrman 07-29-2005 08:07 AM

Preds parting with Orszagh, Hnidy and Haydar.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....507290403/1028

Orszagh's knee must be pretty bad. I'm not shocked at the other two. Haydar is a career minor leaguer

predhead1 07-29-2005 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....507290403/1028

Orszagh's knee must be pretty bad. I'm not shocked at the other two. Haydar is a career minor leaguer

Hate to see Vladdy go - I'll always remember him for his playoff goal and his hustle. But this is just the first instance of cap casualties that this team will encounter down the road.

Pattypred 07-29-2005 08:18 AM

I really don't think Vlady is a cap casualty. I think it's more his knee and the Preds not feeling he will be ready by training camp.
:(

predhead1 07-29-2005 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattypred
I really don't think Vlady is a cap casualty. I think it's more his knee and the Preds not feeling he will be ready by training camp.

Well yes, it's definitely a result of his injury. But with no cap, the Preds might have signed him and waited for him to come off the IR. But as Poile noted, they can't afford to sign him and put him on IR now b/c his salary would count against the cap - that's almost $1.0mm of cap room that would be wasted.

quartermaster29 07-29-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattypred

Patty... in the article Poile said that to have Vlad start on the IR (which they think he will) would count against the cap, so we would have to pay him and someone to replace him. That kinda sounds like cap casualty to me.

Poile did say that he would be in contact with Vladdy's agent to try and get him for less than the 800K QO, if Vlad will take it.

This particular move is what I think a lot of teams may do with players they are letting go. "Hey... we like you. But to stay under the cap, we need to pay you less than the QO. Will you do it?"

triggrman 07-29-2005 08:51 AM

Hey Patty I think they mean that he would have to start on the IR and that would count against the cap and we would still have to pay someone to replace him, or something like that.

What do you all think?

Oh, I forgot the :sarcasm:

crossxcheck 07-29-2005 09:22 AM

Sad to see Vlad and Hnidy go. I liked Hnidy's hustle and at his $650,000 salary, he was a bargain. I'll never forget orszagh's hatty vs. the sabres.

handtrick 07-29-2005 09:24 AM

Poile really seemed to be high on filling Orszagh's position from within with Gamache, Upshall, Pivko, or Smitson.

By the way...Legwand was qualified [he has arbitration rights which I doubt he will exercise]....no surprise here.

handtrick 07-29-2005 09:30 AM

Anybody think not exercising the option on Hnidy makes it more likely that Eaton is signed?

crossxcheck 07-29-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
Anybody think not exercising the option on Hnidy makes it more likely that Eaton is signed?

I hope that's what it means, because I don't see any other guys in milwaukee aside from suter being ready to be a pred.

jstreet 07-29-2005 09:39 AM

Vlad was a great guy, I had the chance to quickly chat with him at a few signing and such, great personalty and lots of hustle on the ice. I'll miss seeing him.

My favorite Orszagh moment was when he burned *elmore en route to a hat trick.

handtrick 07-29-2005 09:56 AM

Who else is going to sign Orszagh with his current knee condition and it counting to the cap?

I bet he finds a way back into a Pred sweater either by a creative contract, or a midseason free agent pick up.

PredFred 07-29-2005 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
Hey Patty I think they mean that he would have to start on the IR and that would count against the cap and we would still have to pay someone to replace him, or something like that.

What do you all think?
Oh, I forgot the :sarcasm:

My recollection of the CBA was that We could bring someone in to replace a guy on IR and it would NOT count against the cap as long as their salary was LOWER.

handtrick 07-29-2005 10:08 AM

Trotz has always spoken highly of Greg Zanon, yet he has always flown under the radar screen with Suter, Weber, and Klein...any chance that this may be his chance to make the big club out of training camp in Hnidy's spot?

quartermaster29 07-29-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Sad to see Vlad and Hnidy go. I liked Hnidy's hustle and at his $650,000 salary, he was a bargain. I'll never forget orszagh's hatty vs. the sabres.

Or Delmore's assist on that third one! :biglaugh:

Enoch 07-29-2005 10:17 AM

I thought a 3rd for Hnidy was a little excessive, but I went with it because we needed grit on the backend. Now Hnidy is gone, Lilja won't play a game in a Preds uni (thank God), and we have nobody to clear the crease once again. It is imperative that we address this. Eaton has some ability to do it, but even he is weak, and past him we have no one. God, last year Jason York was the guy that most consistently tried to keep the crease clear......and it simply did not work. So yeah......I'm not sure why we just let Hnidy walk. Hopefully management steps up to the plate and gets a homerun signing(s).

triggrman 07-29-2005 10:59 AM

The injury to York put us in a bind last season.

I still see us signing Eaton (especially with all the Team USA press lately) and adding one additional FA defenseman hopefully a top pairing guy, maybe even one more lower end FA.

DontCallPlayersStuds 07-29-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
Trotz has always spoken highly of Greg Zanon, yet he has always flown under the radar screen with Suter, Weber, and Klein...any chance that this may be his chance to make the big club out of training camp in Hnidy's spot?

Having seen Greg Zanon....he's a good minor league defenseman, and might even get a cup of coffee in the NHL...but he's not an everyday NHL defender, IMO. I think he's further down the depth chart than a guy like Klein...and maybe even Weber, despite being a rookie.

Sad to see Vladdy go, but I think the writing was on the wall. He's being optimistic about being back in the next month and a half in time for training camp..but realistically I can't see him ready until at least december with an injury that severe. Haydar....no real shock or loss...and Hnidy, as mentioned, likely means Eaton will be re-signed.

triggrman 07-29-2005 11:48 AM

I'm not going to guess on Orszagh's injury, I'll leave that to our board Dr. Handrick. I think the time to part with Orszagh was this season anyway as I believe we can fill his role with more talented younger players (Upshall, Gamache)

Did we not have to qualify Eaton? The article on mentions he's going to camp with USA, doesn't give us an update on his status.

DontCallPlayersStuds 07-29-2005 12:03 PM

I think it can be assumed Eaton was qualified, as it didn't mention anyone besides Legwand being qualified...and I know several of our players had to be.

crossxcheck 07-29-2005 12:56 PM

According to NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/critical_dates072205.html

The deadline for qualifying offers isn't until this Sunday. I'd assume legwand, hall, eaton, and erat will all be extended qualifying offers.

golfmade 07-29-2005 01:10 PM

I do agree with some others that I don't really see anyone else signing Vladdy with this knee injury, hopefully we could get him back later.

As for Hnidy, liked him but with him gone what do we do with that spot?

Enoch 07-29-2005 04:16 PM

Its not just Hnidy thats gone - Bombadir and York are both gone, as well as Hutch now....thats 4 defensemen that were all NHL ready.

Eaton - Timonen
Hamhuis - ?????
Zidlicky - ?????

Suter is definitely going to get a spot now, and most likely paired with Zidlicky - so...

Eaton - Timonen
Hamhuis - ?????
Zidlicky - Suter

With Eaton being able to drop down with Hamhuis depending on who we acquire or sign. I think without question we are adding somone now. We HAVE to.

Most of the fillers we even used last year are gone - Schnabel, Safronov could have been used.....

PredFred 07-29-2005 05:58 PM

"Suter is definitely going to get a spot now, and most likely paired with Zidlicky - so..."

I still expect to see Suter/Hamhuis paired together. With the last year being a wash for most guys, and these guys actually playing together, I think it will be the most natural d-line we can put on the ice.

handtrick 07-29-2005 10:02 PM

Hnidy was denied the team option at $608k, does that mean they can now qualify him at something lower as a RFA [such is the case of Nic Boynton] or does he now become a UFA?

Edit: he is only 29 so he should remain a RFA...but can we qualify him at $450-500k?