HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What type of team would you say we are?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1560295)

Kriss E 12-13-2013 06:09 PM

What type of team would you say we are??
 
Pretty simple question there. The reason why I bring this up is because on 690, they previewed a clip of tomorrow's 24CH and Therrien is telling the team how we are a Grinding team. He says so in between periods of the Buffalo game.
Now that surprised me because I was never under the impression that we were that type of team. So I ask, are we that team or is Therrien living in a dream??

Frozenice 12-13-2013 06:19 PM

I think it says more about the coach then about us.

Maybe he wants then to fight harder for the puck and drive to the net instead of making fancy plays.

LeMAD 12-13-2013 06:20 PM

We're a special teams and goaltending team, but 5 on 5, Therien is right. It's all about speed and hard work more than skill. Dump the puck behind the D and go get it.

Smoky Thompson 12-13-2013 06:25 PM

Undersized team with great goaltending and some good young players. Because we're undersized, 5 on 5 isn't going to be our bread and butter. If we don't capitalize on the PP we won't win many games.

habsfanatics 12-13-2013 06:25 PM

I find therrien has no answers accept skate harder, work harder, bla bla bla. He's a pretty mediocre coach imo.

Kriss E 12-13-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 76110887)
We're a special teams and goaltending team, but 5 on 5, Therien is right. It's all about speed and hard work more than skill. Dump the puck behind the D and go get it.

Dumping and chasing it is a bad strategy for our guys. We have about 2-3 guys that are capable of doing it well. Not even MaxPac does this well. He's not the grinder type, just like Latendresse wasn't either.
Gallagher is our only real good offensive grinder. Guys like Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Briere, DD, those guys are puck control/possession guys not grinders. MaxPac is more of a perimeter scorer, Bourque is the same but less efficient, Gionta used to be like Gallagher but he's obviously past his prime and just can't do it anymore.
We're not grinders.

76ftw 12-13-2013 06:41 PM

A pretty good one?

Kriss E 12-13-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfanatics (Post 76111203)
I find therrien has no answers accept skate harder, work harder, bla bla bla. He's a pretty mediocre coach imo.

That's what I find too. Always talking about work ethic but that's never our issue. Even during the LA game, we have a proud group of guys, they always battle hard. It has nothing to do with our problems.

BigDaddyLurch 12-13-2013 06:47 PM

...a talented, hard-working, too-damn-small team...:cry:

BigHabs 12-13-2013 06:53 PM

Fast and aggressive on the forecheck. Small player on each line tends to hurt us.

thaivuN 12-13-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 76111959)
Dumping and chasing it is a bad strategy for our guys. We have about 2-3 guys that are capable of doing it well. Not even MaxPac does this well. He's not the grinder type, just like Latendresse wasn't either.
Gallagher is our only real good offensive grinder. Guys like Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Briere, DD, those guys are puck control/possession guys not grinders. MaxPac is more of a perimeter scorer, Bourque is the same but less efficient, Gionta used to be like Gallagher but he's obviously past his prime and just can't do it anymore.
We're not grinders.

Can we call them puck possession guys when they suck at having the puck often? :laugh:

Smoky Thompson 12-13-2013 07:07 PM

I believe Therrien was just trying to get the boys angry and pumped after an awful period. After his speech, the fourth line started the period and scored a goal on the first shift. We ended up scoring two more and won the game, so his speech actually worked :handclap:.

dcyhabs 12-13-2013 07:10 PM

Based around the powerplay but it doesn't work out on a small Montreal-based team with a fan base because of the reffing chart:

1. Greg's friends are nice boys.
2. Got to let the teams play, especially the goon teams. Fight!
3. If we give crappy American expansion teams all the calls they may develop fan bases. Or not. But we can try.
4. Big guys should hit little guys and we should encourage that.
5. If little guys hit back we should penalize them because big guys are super cool.
6. Give the Torontonians a little leeway to indulge their biases if none of the above apply. Kicked-in goal against a rival? OK, kicked-in goals are A-OK this year. But not punched in goals the other way.
7. The code is cool and we can reinterpret it daily. Random call!
8. We don't like those guys, that was a dive even if there was blood.
9. Grudges are good. Hold them after complete team and staff turnover.
10. OK, now we look at the rule book.

Kriss E 12-13-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaivuN (Post 76112835)
Can we call them puck possession guys when they suck at having the puck often? :laugh:

Didn't say they were good at it, but they're even worse at grinding it out. We have puck possession players, just not the right mix.

Sorinth 12-13-2013 07:17 PM

We are definitely not a grinding team. Hell it was brought up recently that we have more players under 5'9 than the entire Western conference combined. We are a skill team, but like any other team skill isn't enough to win you still have to work hard and battle for pucks.

As for Therrien's comments, since his English isn't the greatest the context of what he said matters more so the the actual words used.

Craig71 12-13-2013 07:20 PM

We are a make plays on the rush team with a great PK and PP but unable to compete with bigger western teams that keep our small guys along the boards. My God MB, make the switch and we will dominate the east.:handclap:

Phil Parent 12-13-2013 07:23 PM

A grinding team?!? Never saw these guys working grinders in a shop.

Habs are a hockey team, man.

Crimson Skorpion 12-13-2013 07:24 PM

The Habs are a team that is still searching for their true identity.

habamillions 12-13-2013 07:25 PM

speedy puck possession team. just look when they play the bigger teams like la and philly they have a hard time. especially when the opponent gets the lead

Craig71 12-13-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habamillions (Post 76114191)
speedy puck possession team. just look when they play the bigger teams like la and philly they have a hard time. especially when the opponent gets the lead

Truth, we most certainly have to play with the lead to be effective.

Tyson 12-13-2013 08:03 PM

Too small

lostriver 12-13-2013 08:25 PM

same team as last year. I expect it to have more success in playoffs though - they should win 2 games in the first round. ;)

Whitesnake 12-13-2013 08:46 PM

At least we don't hear that "speed" BS that circulated not that long ago. Habs are a pretty speedy team for a hockey team......until you start comparing them to other NHL teams.....

Habs relies on a great goalie and a system. Guys that usually work hard with a great top 2 on D. And some balanced but just good offense. In the end, an average to good regular season team, that will battle to make the playoffs....and at best could win 1 round, especially because we are in the East.

Ezpz 12-13-2013 08:48 PM

Hockey team last I checked.

malton 12-13-2013 09:20 PM

We don't have an identity. The team is all over the map.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.