HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Jeremy Smith gets an NHL sniff... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1560513)

Nashville Transplant 12-14-2013 12:53 AM

Jeremy Smith gets an NHL sniff...

Former second round draft pick of the Preds in '07, Goaltender Jeremy Smith was recalled by the Columbus Blue Jackets today, after Curtis McIlhenny went down with an injury. With McIlhenny and Bobrovsky in the infirmary, the Jacket goalies are now Mike McKenna and Smith.

I always thought this kid was gonna be something... who knows, if he gets a game, he might have a chance to shine.

PredsV82 12-14-2013 07:50 AM

Good for him. Hope he gets a chance to play. Goalies fortunes seem to change dramatically. I remember him being Pekkas heir apparent and the next thung you know he's released

101st_fan 12-14-2013 08:58 AM

So ..... two former Preds prospects manning the net for the Jackets.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-14-2013 09:10 AM

Smith was a promising goalie who got squeezed out by prospects coming in behind him. He always seemed like a guy who would make the NHL as a journeyman. Glad to see he could go somewhere else and get The Call.

I do find it thoroughly amusing that both of Columbus' active goalies are former Predators draft picks. Big Brother looks out for Little Brother every now and then, it seems. :snide:

PredsV82 12-14-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 76135983)
So ..... two former Preds prospects manning the net for the Jackets.

I was thinking mckenna was our draft pick as well, but did he ever play for the ads? Or the cyclones?

With dekanich having signed there as well, you'd think the bugs may think we kniw something about goaltenders. Too bad we didn't trade then pickard when he was still considered a solid prospect

Viqsi 12-14-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 76139677)
I was thinking mckenna was our draft pick as well, but did he ever play for the ads? Or the cyclones?

With dekanich having signed there as well, you'd think the bugs may think we kniw something about goaltenders. Too bad we didn't trade then pickard when he was still considered a solid prospect

I think it's more a healthy respect for Mitch Korn and the work he does. Recall that we attempted to poach him at one point (he refused to leave) before hiring Clark.

I dunno if Smith will get a chance to play outside of, say, McKenna getting pulled by Richards if things go very wrong. He is, after all, our fourth-string guy. (Seriously, it's nuts. We have a ton of blueline depth and are merely okay everywhere else, so where do all the injuries go? The forwards and goaltenders, of course! :rant:)

PredsV82 12-14-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 76141605)
I think it's more a healthy respect for Mitch Korn and the work he does. Recall that we attempted to poach him at one point (he refused to leave) before hiring Clark.

I dunno if Smith will get a chance to play outside of, say, McKenna getting pulled by Richards if things go very wrong. He is, after all, our fourth-string guy. (Seriously, it's nuts. We have a ton of blueline depth and are merely okay everywhere else, so where do all the injuries go? The forwards and goaltenders, of course! :rant:)

Mazanec was our 4th string guy too.... just sayin'

adsfan 12-14-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 76139677)

McKenna played for the Admirals. He let in 3 goals in 11 minutes with a stellar 0.25 save percentage in 2006-07. He played 7 games for the "other" Admirals the year before. He never played for the Cyclones, which is amazing given his career history. He played with Rads, Klein, Peverly, O'Reilly, Pekka, Upshall, Zanon and Robin Big Snake!