HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Alfredsson Debate (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15610)

Volchenkov 09-30-2003 08:17 AM

The Alfredsson Debate

No, I'm not going to suggest the rediclous notion that we try Alfie out in net. :)

Do you think (sens fans only please) that the sens will resign alfredsson and for how much and how long.

My stand on the issue is that its almost a guarantee. As soon as they have Havlat signed, they'll start working on an extension for Alfredsson. They'll probably go the Smolinski route and give him a 4 year deal worth around 26-28 mil. Melnyk is commited to winning and will prove it by signing the sens best player over the last 3 years to an extension.

All that excrement about there not being enough room for 3 #1 RWs is garbage. There is enough room - especially when alfie is playing the point on the PP. The 3 of them often are on the ice at the same time on the PP, which negates the ice time issue. Neil cna be given less and less ice time in order to make more ice time for the top 3. That's the beauty of Chris Neil - you don't really need to play him - but he's there if you need him. If they wanted they could play chris neil 2 minutes a game and double shift hossa on the "4th line".

discostu 09-30-2003 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
No, I'm not going to suggest the rediclous notion that we try Alfie out in net. :)

Do you think (sens fans only please) that the sens will resign alfredsson and for how much and how long.

My stand on the issue is that its almost a guarantee. As soon as they have Havlat signed, they'll start working on an extension for Alfredsson. They'll probably go the Smolinski route and give him a 4 year deal worth around 26-28 mil. Melnyk is commited to winning and will prove it by signing the sens best player over the last 3 years to an extension.

All that excrement about there not being enough room for 3 #1 RWs is garbage. There is enough room - especially when alfie is playing the point on the PP. The 3 of them often are on the ice at the same time on the PP, which negates the ice time issue. Neil cna be given less and less ice time in order to make more ice time for the top 3. That's the beauty of Chris Neil - you don't really need to play him - but he's there if you need him. If they wanted they could play chris neil 2 minutes a game and double shift hossa on the "4th line".

I think it's a 50/50 shot that he returns. If it takes an offer in the neighbourhood that you're suggesting (i.e. $7 mil a season) I say we pass.

Melnyk is committed to winning, but it doesn't mean you can keep every player whose contract comes up. Alfie is a great player for us, and one of this team's biggest leaders, but he isn't irreplaceable. That $7 mil a season will be needed to pay for many of the other players whose contracts are coming up. The big ones contracts to keep in mind are:
-Lalime: next summer, will go from $2.5 mil to probably $4 mil like Turco and Giguere
-Chara: next summer, will go from $2.4 mil to probably $3.5 to $4 mil
-Hossa: expires 2005, will go from $2.75 to about $5-6 mil
-Havlat: still needs to sign, gets arbitration rights in 2 years
-Bonk: This summer, may not get a substantial increase

That's the core. The supporting cast of players will get their pay increases as this team achieves more (Rachunek, Schastlivy, Phillips, White, etc.)

Some tough decisions will need to be made on who to keep on who to let go from the organization. $7 mil is a lot of money that could be used to keep more of this team together. Also, I think that Alfie may not cost that much to keep. We've seen the price of UFA's go down this past year, and with the new CBA pending, and a whole season potentially wiped away, negating the need for teams to pay a premium to get the final piece of the puzzle in place, the markets will probably be even less next year. There will be a number of similar elite players available next summer (Palffy, Kariya, Selanne, etc.), and the demand for a guy like Alfie, who has some health issues, may not be that high on people's lists. I think we may be able to convince Alfredsson to sign a contract in the neighbourhood of $5.5 mil a season. I'm sure he would like to stay in Ottawa, and is probably a little hesitant of testing the UFA market when there is so much doubt in the league's future. At that price, I'd be willing to keep him.

o-dog 09-30-2003 08:54 AM

If it costs more than $6 mil to keep him, it's just not worth it. Granted, he is the Sens captain and leader, but he will very shortly be #3 on the depth chart at his position which would also mean the #1 and #2 guys would need more money. If Alfredsson wants to stay with this team, he should be looking for about the same money as he's making this year...

SensGod 09-30-2003 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odiedog
If it costs more than $6 mil to keep him, it's just not worth it.

My thoughts exactly. Anything more than 6 isn't worth paying the player who'll be your #3 RW in about 2 years. I love Alfie and all, but I'd rather keep guys like Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Chara, etc...

loveshack2 09-30-2003 10:38 AM

I dont think they will but who knows with the new CBA coming up.

The beauty of it is that you still have Hossa and Havlat on the right side who are legitimate talents so the loss wouldnt be as huge.

Eventually all the young talent is going to start getting raises (ie Havlat, Chara, Hossa, Bonk, Rachunek, etc) and the money it would take to re-sign Alfredsson might be better spent that way.

Dr.Sens(e) 09-30-2003 11:04 AM

I think both the team and Alfredsson are interested in seeing what the market will bare for him. Personally, I don't see the team wanting to sign him for too much more than $5 million per season on a long-term deal. Understandably, Alfredsson will want to see if there is a significantly better offer. It will be interesting to see this offseason given the potential lock-out what offers are out there. For that reason, Alfredsson may take a long-term deal before the season ends (i.e. 4 years, $21 million).

But as soon as the Sens signed Smoke to such a long-term deal, I saw that as giving themselves some versatile forward depth in the event they did lose Alfredsson. And while they don't "need" him per say, he is still the best leader on the team any way you cut it. He would be missed.

L2k 09-30-2003 02:31 PM

I like $16.5M for 3 years at an even $5.5 per year. I think that's worth it but beyond $6M just isn't.

Methot Man 10-01-2003 05:30 AM

I agree with loveshack 2 - I don't think it would be prudent to resign Alfie with the potential cap coming and having to pay Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Chara, Redden, Lalime etc...in the coming years.

I don't think they'll extend him but that's just MO.

Other Dave 10-01-2003 05:36 AM

You know, my sense of pragmatism goes out the window when it comes to Alfie. Speaking as a fan, I hope that they sign our Captain whatever it takes.

Other Dave