HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Game thread: 9/30 - Bruins vs Devils, 7:05pm (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15631)

HockeyGoddess 09-30-2003 10:32 AM

Game thread: 9/30 - Bruins vs Devils, 7:05pm

Boston Bruins vs New Jersey Devils
Dunkin Donuts Center, Providence, RI
7:05pm.

Starting line-up, according to bostonbruins.com:

Felix Potvin
Steve Shields

Mike Knuble– Joe Thornton – Glen Murray
Sergei Samsonov – Patrice Bergeron – Ivan Huml
Martin Samuelsson – Ted Donato – Sandy McCarthy
Sergei Zinovjev – P.J. Stock – Michal Grosek

Defense: Ian Moran, Dan McGillis, Jeff Jillson, Zdenek Kutlak, Shaone Morrisonn, and Milan Jurcina

Chat about the game here.

Stock Rocks 09-30-2003 10:37 AM

Hmmm. I missed reading about Shaone Morrisonn's latest call-up.

Interesting lineup. I think that second line should be capable of generating some offense. Third line has speed up the middle and on the left, with McCarthy riding shotgun.

I hope Felix plays well so people will get off his back a little bit...

TheBigBadB 09-30-2003 11:01 AM

Is it on 1030 wbz radio tonight?

Ratty 09-30-2003 11:06 AM

Kutlak

Interesting comments about Zdenek Kutlak in todays bostonbruins.com notes. This kid may have a chance which would surprise a lot of people.

He has apparently reinvented himself as a defensive defenceman, and with his size, has been effective in camp. I see he is in tonight's lineup again.

Could be that Brennan is the victim of not only Kutlak and Jurcina's play (looks like Jillson is a given), but the teams seems more willing to go with youth.

Kutlak has had two years of AHL experienc, like Boynton, and may be ready to step in.

Magnus Fulgur 09-30-2003 12:21 PM

Good

This line up for tonight is more like it. Hopefully the forwards (with a good mix of younger players) will be able to control the play more to give the D a chance to hold its own and show its stuff. Maybe this will help Potvin too! Looking forward to it.

Here we go Bruins! Here we go!

kdog82 09-30-2003 12:35 PM

is this game televised?????

Stock Rocks 09-30-2003 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdog82
is this game televised?????

Nein

Non

Nyet

No

mmmBeer 09-30-2003 12:58 PM

The 4 young defensemen still vying for a roster spot are all playing... should be interesting to see who stands out.

amazingcrwns 09-30-2003 01:12 PM

finally

I would be happy if the first 2 lines were our first 2 lines on opening night with Rolston centering Ax and Zam for the third and then go with any 3 out of Stock, Grosek, McCarthy, Donato or Samuelsson for the final line to start the season. I'd start Zino in the minors for the first 9 games while Bergeron plays a 9 game tryout. Then slot Zino in the second line spot once Bergeron moves back to his Junior team. We can let Lapointe fight for playing time with Zam, Huml, and the 4th liners once he gets back. Personally I'd like to see a lineup of :

Knuble, Thornton, Murray
Sammy, Zinovjev, Huml
Axelsson, Rolston, Zamuner
McCarthy, Stock, Lapointe.

with Lapointe filling in on a few shifts for Huml and Zamuner throughout the game. Especially after a penalty kill where Zam was used or powerplay where Huml got a little extra time. You can also use Lapointe on the penalty kill.

As always just my opinion. Hope the B's are able to show some offense tonight and it's about time we signed Boynton. I was really hoping to make a deal for Burke today, but with the rosters frozen now it looks like we have to wait until the waiver draft to see if we can get some help in net or at Center.

lostboy_77 09-30-2003 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
This line up for tonight is more like it. Hopefully the forwards (with a good mix of younger players) will be able to control the play more to give the D a chance to hold its own and show its stuff. Maybe this will help Potvin too! Looking forward to it.

Here we go Bruins! Here we go!

I would like to see zinovjev with some more talented line mates. pj stock and michal grosek doesn't give him much to work with. i am curious to see him play in the upcoming televised games. he is supposedly pretty feisty...

huml seems to be making a case for himself this year. i am curious to see him play on Oct 2nd and Oct 4 if he is not cut before then. they have really kept that sammy bergeron huml line together through out the preseason. i am starting think that it actually might be the second line this year.....two rookies with sammy....that might be a stretch. but you never know.

not sure how this defense is going to be tonight....still mostly youngsters. nj is not the most offensively stacked team in the league, but this could still be a challenging game for potvin due to this squad. i think his chances are dwindling. he either performs tonight or management is going to get nervous...triggers may be pulled.

I know one thing about this squad.....i would much rather watch two of the group of rooks: zinovjev, bergeron, samuelsson, or huml take to the ice over donato and grosek.....atleast you can watch progression and develop....i somehow doubt that both grosek and donato will be left off the roster

here are some guesses at the final line ups.....complete with possible nicknames :)

knuble thornton murray
samsonov bergeron/zinovjev huml
axelson rolston lapointe (the United Nations line, one swede, one canuck, one american)
zamuner donato mccarthy (the McChecking unit)

pj stock as the extra forward switching in and out with donato.
grosek off to the waivers, or an injury call up

this could also be seen:

knuble thornton murray
samsonov bergeron/zinovjev lapointe
axelson rolston zamuner (the RAZ line...as in razzberries to the other team)
grosek/stock donato mccarthy

the super line model

Samsonov ThornTon MUrray (the "mutt" line aka the "super" line)
Axie Rolston Lapointe (the United Nations line)
Zamuner Zinovjev Knuble
stock donato mccarthy

bergeron and zinovjev are the lynch pins....who makes it? do both make it? can bergeron handle the nhl schedule? can zinovjev make the transition to smaller rinks? after that the chips will easily. i don't think you will see rolston and axelson separated. axie may be successful on other lines, but rolston is less successful with axie on his wing.

i think donato plays over grosek. he is just more useful, imo. guy who can play center or wing, kill penalties, and doesn't take stupid penalties. i think a fourth line of zamuner, donato and mccarthy could be pretty successful.

Duguay 09-30-2003 03:28 PM

1-0 Bruins

Murray from Thornton and Knuble.

Looks like that's the number one line

kdog82 09-30-2003 03:29 PM

can i at least get this game on the net????

thanks

Eat It 09-30-2003 03:40 PM

End of the first, NJ outshooting the B's 12-6 but Potvin is holding the fort so far. It'd be great to see him get back on track.

Bruwinz37 09-30-2003 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eat It
End of the first, NJ outshooting the B's 12-6 but Potvin is holding the fort so far. It'd be great to see him get back on track.

Would it ever...but I dont think I would be confident and I think Raycroft will be the clear #1 by the tenth game of the year.

On another note, unless Providence D is totally pitiful (which it shouldnt be) Hannu should put up excellent numbers in the AHL.

DKH 09-30-2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazingcrwns
I would be happy if the first 2 lines were our first 2 lines on opening night with Rolston centering Ax and Zam for the third and then go with any 3 out of Stock, Grosek, McCarthy, Donato or Samuelsson for the final line to start the season. I'd start Zino in the minors for the first 9 games while Bergeron plays a 9 game tryout. Then slot Zino in the second line spot once Bergeron moves back to his Junior team. We can let Lapointe fight for playing time with Zam, Huml, and the 4th liners once he gets back. Personally I'd like to see a lineup of :

Knuble, Thornton, Murray
Sammy, Zinovjev, Huml
Axelsson, Rolston, Zamuner
McCarthy, Stock, Lapointe.

with Lapointe filling in on a few shifts for Huml and Zamuner throughout the game. Especially after a penalty kill where Zam was used or powerplay where Huml got a little extra time. You can also use Lapointe on the penalty kill.

As always just my opinion. Hope the B's are able to show some offense tonight and it's about time we signed Boynton. I was really hoping to make a deal for Burke today, but with the rosters frozen now it looks like we have to wait until the waiver draft to see if we can get some help in net or at Center.

I can't disagree- very good job and depending on what Huml, Zino and even Bergeron do could be a solid and fun group to watch.

mattkaz 09-30-2003 04:27 PM

Does Bergeron have a chance at making the team?

BruinsGod II 09-30-2003 04:31 PM

1-0 B's at the end of two .. Potvin 20 of 20 .. Nowak seems to be playing, orginally thought not to be in the lineup .. Hopefully it is not an injury substitution ala. Martin Lapointe ...

neelynugs 09-30-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattkaz

he sure does. a few things going against him are his frame (he doesn't seem to be physically mature enough to handle the NHL just yet), as well as signing a contract (which i think won't be a problem, as the b's don't seem to have trouble signing their top kids).
in his favor- his vision is awesome, and his hockey sense is top notch. also, the b's are in desperate need of a center, and this kid fills the role well (including winning faceoffs). another thing that thornton pointed out was his willingness to go into traffic. he's not a great defensive player from what i saw, but he's no slouch (i think in the long run, bergeron will become a very solid 2 way guy, like stumpel...but hopefully much more consistent).
should be an interesting call by the brass :rolly:

neelynugs 09-30-2003 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGod II
1-0 B's at the end of two .. Potvin 20 of 20 .. Nowak seems to be playing, orginally thought not to be in the lineup .. Hopefully it is not an injury substitution ala. Martin Lapointe ...

not sure what happened, but i'd like to see nowak sign a contract with boston. it's possible that he'll sign a 25 game tryout with providence, but i'd rather get him a deal that's attached to the big club. he's got good size and seems pretty intelligent, and with a year or two of seasoning, could turn into a solid player.

DKH 09-30-2003 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
he sure does. a few things going against him are his frame (he doesn't seem to be physically mature enough to handle the NHL just yet), as well as signing a contract (which i think won't be a problem, as the b's don't seem to have trouble signing their top kids).
in his favor- his vision is awesome, and his hockey sense is top notch. also, the b's are in desperate need of a center, and this kid fills the role well (including winning faceoffs). another thing that thornton pointed out was his willingness to go into traffic. he's not a great defensive player from what i saw, but he's no slouch (i think in the long run, bergeron will become a very solid 2 way guy, like stumpel...but hopefully much more consistent).
should be an interesting call by the brass :rolly:

I hope Zino takes/earns the spot; and Bergeron heads back to Juniors with the knowledge that he can make it and make it big if he works hard, trains right, eats properly and works on whatever the Broons feel he needs to. Eighteen years old your body just isn't hardened yet. He really does sound like that Oatish type of guy- whether he has eyes in the back of his head and can pass like him (since maybe only about 10 in history have its a strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrretch) but, I'd love to see the next Barry Pederson- my alltime favorite non Bobby Orr Bruin.

Still a Bruin fan 09-30-2003 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattkaz

As good as Joe and Sammy are now, remember what they were as 18-19 year olds?
Talk about a waste of a year if Samsonov has to play with the likes of Bergeron and Huml!
Rememebr Huml had some good games early last year and then we ready to hang him after realizing he wasn't capable of sustaining any real offense.

It's a disgrace if Bergeron is playing with the big club this year.
I'm encouraged by what I see from this 'KID", but forget it.! Not this year unless we're ready to totally concede this season and hope Joe and Sammy remain happy-go-lucky throughout it all.
Zinovjev at least has the more experience and is at an advanced age.
We have some "now" players and some future players.
Where the help is coming from this year is, who knows?
We didn't bring in anybody to replace Stumpel, Hilbert is WaYY behind 'cuz of his injury problem, Zinovjev got into camp late and
Bergeron is still just a kid who needs to continue to grow.
I like Sammy 2 a lot as a 3rd liner right now, but will have a hard time breaking into the lineup this year.
I think he'd be great with Joe and Glen, but won't get that priviledge.

Eat It 09-30-2003 05:14 PM

B's win 1-0. It looks like potvin went the distance turning away 28 shots for the shut out. :handclap: :handclap:

BruinsGod II 09-30-2003 05:14 PM

Potvin goes the distance in a twenty-eight stop performance as the b's blank the Devils 1-0 ..

DKH 09-30-2003 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsGod II
Potvin goes the distance in a twenty-eight stop performance as the b's blank the Devils 1-0 ..

How about "the Feline Wall" :bow:

Samsonov14 09-30-2003 05:28 PM

That's Felix. Two games of total crap, and then a shutout. Get ready for a roller-coaster ride, kids.