HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Injury Report: Brayden Schenn (no supplementary discipline to Wilson); Lecavalier update (12/19) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1563343)

CanadianFlyer88 12-17-2013 11:19 PM

Brayden Schenn (no supplementary discipline to Wilson); Lecavalier update (12/19)

Edit: December 17 (Tuesday)

No new news to report, but Brayden Schenn was injured on a hit by Tom Wilson of the Capitals on December 17th and did not return to the game. The hit occurred in the second period and Wilson was assessed a five minute major for charging.

Paul Holmgren has issued a statement confirming that Schenn has an upper body injury.

--------------------------

Edit: December 19 (Thursday)

Quote:

Schenn underwent X-rays to check his neck and back for fractures. He did not undergo a concussion baseline test, despite the obvious head trauma. He said that's because he did not feel any symptoms once he made it to the locker room.

"I felt fine as soon as I got off the ice," Schenn said. "I don't have any symptoms or anything like that. I didn't see stars. I didn't feel slow. I didn't have any headaches.

"I've had concussions before; I know what they're like. I had it a month at a time [in December 2011]. I didn't have any symptoms."

Schenn did not appear to lose consciousness for any length of time following the hit. He still could have suffered a concussion on the play, which makes it surprising the Flyers did not at least mandate a baseline test. According to online medical encyclopedias, amnesia (memory loss) is one of the primary determinants of a concussion.
Source: FRANK SERAVALLI, Philadelphia Daily News

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...0A5sWxCLKWE.99

--------------------------------------------

Quote:

“I feel I got really lucky,” Schenn said. “I don’t think I have ever gone head first into the boards without even getting my arms up or anything like that. I don’t remember much of the play. All I remember was how hard the top of my head actually hit the board. And I don’t remember trying to get up or anything bad. But the good thing is I don’t have a headache or any symptoms today, so that’s a positive sign.”

Wednesday morning he had a text message from Wilson, apologizing for the hit.

“He reached out to me, and I appreciated the text,” Schenn said. “There is nothing more.”
Source: Dave Isaac, Courier-Post

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...TS04/312190032
---------------------------------------------

NHL's video explanation regarding no further discipline:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...515461&lang=en

JDinkalage Morgoone 12-17-2013 11:21 PM

I didn't get to see the game and I didn't read the GDT. Consensus was it was dirty, from what I hear?

FlyersFan61290 12-17-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 76374171)
I didn't get to see the game and I didn't read the GDT. Consensus was it was dirty, from what I hear?

See for yourself:

http://i.imgur.com/8Idifaq.gif

Garbage Goal 12-17-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 76374171)

Basically charging. Unnecessarily hard and heavy hit with clear intent to just destroy. It was also boarding. Some would argue Schenn turning away from the hit was at fault for that, but in reality that hit was going to send him flying into the boards either way and he was turning away to dish away the puck.

So, yes, dirty.

JDinkalage Morgoone 12-17-2013 11:37 PM

Yeah I just went to the main boards and managed to leave with some brain cells intact.

How come people keep bringing up him turning? I didn't see one person argue that was the problem. Dude flies in from center ice and basically tosses him into the boards

smokes lets go 12-17-2013 11:56 PM

concussion and likely a shoulder injury there, that was horrible you can see his shoulder take the brunt of the force here.

DecadesofFutility 12-17-2013 11:59 PM

Looks like he will have a concussion at the very least.

Garbage Goal 12-18-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 76375161)
Yeah I just went to the main boards and managed to leave with some brain cells intact.

How come people keep bringing up him turning? I didn't see one person argue that was the problem. Dude flies in from center ice and basically tosses him into the boards

It's not like the slight turn had anything to do with it either. He had the puck on his stick and was playing it to keep it out of danger. If it were a normal hit or forecheck and Schenn doesn't make that play we're all mad at him for it. Besides that, even if he didn't turn he's still flying into the boards there it just might not be as bad. Some people are biased enough to be calling it a regular forecheck by Wilson, but when a player has the puck and is about to be forechecked that's what they're supposed to do if they have a good option to get the puck to. They get rid of it.

To me at least this is the type of thing that just proves how little respect players have for each other overall. It's not just the Capitals or anything, but the whole league really. That play had nothing to do with playing the puck really or at least not with helping his team. It was just all really about doing as much damage as he could or at least a lot of damage. Personally, I don't want players playing with the mentality of "they're the opposition so hurt them if you can and if they get injured, then that's just how it plays out".

That's my little rant.

orange is better 12-18-2013 12:22 AM

Looks like a separated shoulder. Been there...

Beef Invictus 12-18-2013 12:28 AM

How many concussions has Schenn had in the past?

GoneFullHextall 12-18-2013 01:56 AM

dirty, dirty hit.
I would be mad as hell if a Flyer did that.
probably should give him a game or 2 just to teach him a lesson for being stupid.

tymed 12-18-2013 04:13 AM

Just ridiculous. I dont know what happened in the dressing room between 2nd and 3rd that stopped the flyers from retaliating but they didn't. Wilson is going to get some hard time for that one. I hope Braydens okay he was playing a hell of a game.

thelos 12-18-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 76377113)
How many concussions has Schenn had in the past?

Looks like 1 in his NHL career per TSN. not sure about juniors/ahl

King Forsberg 12-18-2013 07:09 AM

When did Schenn have a concussion? I honestly can't remember.

FlyersFan61290 12-18-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Forsberg (Post 76383969)

1st season, he also had a shoulder injury the same year iirc. Looks like it could be either, but hopefully neither.

jeff leonard 12-18-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 76375161)

ive lurked for a while and mainboards logic is essentially "if my guys dont have the right to victimize other players then you might as well call it the No Hitting League". it's really bad.

kicksave27 12-18-2013 07:29 AM

Can they emergency call up Laughton now?

Coffe 12-18-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 76384251)

No. Look up Article 13.12(m) of the CBA to see conditions on emergency recalls.

FlyersFan61290 12-18-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

He's going to WJC now and will probably have a letter on his chest, the experience will be good for him. That's even if he qualified for an emergency call-up, which he doesn't.

Kevin Danko 12-18-2013 08:16 AM

Charging for sure, it was worse because how strong Wilson is. I don't see a big suspension coming.

Curufinwe 12-18-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Forsberg (Post 76383969)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1050793

GKJ 12-18-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

No. It's not an emergency.

Hiesenberg 12-18-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindank (Post 76384927)
Charging for sure, it was worse because how strong Wilson is. I don't see a big suspension coming.

It looked a lot worse because Wilson was charging at a top speed from center ice.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-18-2013 08:37 AM

I'm not too convinced this was a dirty hit. I think Adam Oates was relatively accurate in his assessment of the hit. Wilson hit Schenn in the shoulder. Wilson is a huge and strong guy which made it look a lot worse. Schenn turned into the boards to avoid the hit, also making it look a lot worse.

Charging penalty for sure, but not so convinced he should be suspended.

dingbathero 12-18-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 76385217)
I'm not too convinced this was a dirty hit. I think Adam Oates was relatively accurate in his assessment of the hit. Wilson hit Schenn in the shoulder. Wilson is a huge and strong guy which made it look a lot worse. Schenn turned into the boards to avoid the hit, also making it look a lot worse.

Charging penalty for sure, but not so convinced he should be suspended.

GTFO.

It was intent to injure, predatory. Come on man. This is the type of **** the league wants out. He was vulnerable. Teams get video EVERY other week with hits that are good and those that aren't. I can bet this type of hit is the BAD kind.

Wilson caught him on the shoulder b/c Schenn was going to pass up the boards, all Flyers were on that side of the ice. He CHARGED from the line and sped up prior to impact.

It's a ******** hit and I am enraged when people can think otherwise. I personally think those defending it and saying it was CLEAN are, in the literal sense of the word, retarded!