HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are you Happy with the Marc Staal Pick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=156467)

FLYLine24 07-30-2005 08:13 PM

Are you Happy with the Marc Staal Pick?

?

Radek27 07-30-2005 08:16 PM

Considering where we were picking I never thought we would get any of the guys ranked in the top 10. Staal seems like a safe pick also. He doesn't sound like he will be a star, but a solid defensive backbone for a franchise. I think it would have made more sense to move up one spot more to get Kopitar, but Staal at 12 is good value.

BwayBshirt 07-30-2005 08:28 PM

i'm happy or at least satisfied with staal.

for starters, i have as much confidence in our scouting staff now than i've had in recent memory. getting tim murray from the mighty ducks was a great pickup. the fact that renney and probably murray himself saw staal in person on multiple occasions helped to make this selection..and i'm fully ok with that.

staal is the type of "more sure bet" to make the nhl player we haven't drafted lately. he looks like a player that's committed to working hard just based on my first impression of looking at him and seeing the scouting reports on him. he's not the sexy pick but if he pans out fine we'll be happy.

also, between him and the forwards that were around where the rangers were picking, i have a gut feeling he'll make an impact sooner in the nhl than those guys. and imo we didn't give up much to get him so overall i'm happy.

eco's bones 07-30-2005 08:48 PM

Yes. I think when we moved up he was the best player left.

ATLANTARANGER* 07-30-2005 09:05 PM

First off, I never thought we would be a position to have this kid fall to us

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
?

not at 16, or 12. As the draft was unfolding I was hoping for O'Marra. We needed an offensive player, but when Staal was still there after 11 picks! I knew it was the Rangers who made the trade with Atlanta. We had no business getting this kid. This is a solid pick. This kid has very good upside. People are comparing him from Robinson (TSN ) to Schoenfeld (Sather) to Lowe ( HF posters). Anyone of those 3 works for me. Apparently these kids were brought up like the Sutter broethers. Their dad built a rink with lights and the kids eat and sleep hockey 24/7. This was a good solid selection.

Radek27 07-30-2005 10:59 PM

Better be happy with it because if he didn't fall Sauer was going to be our first round choice. In Maloney's mind we got two first round picks.

If we couldn’t do anything (to get Staal) and had stayed at 16, our thought was we would trade down because Michael Sauer was our guy,” Maloney said. “He was the guy we were going to be looking for. We were set to move down to get him, knowing that we would be able to get him sometime a little later.

Here is the link for the whole recap:
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1670

Padawan 07-31-2005 03:12 AM

I happy for getting Staal, but I was a little surprise to see some many D-men to get drafted by the Rangers. Well, at least now the defence has good depth.

DarthSather99 07-31-2005 07:05 AM

He was BPA. Many had him rated top 6. I would have loved to have gotten Kopitar with the 11th pick but I bet you LA would not trade that pick once Kopitar was available.

Carolina was torn between picking Jack Johnson and Staal. I didn't think these two players were even close but alot of scouts did.

FLYLine24 07-31-2005 11:31 AM

90% of us thought it was was a good pick..not bad...Im sure last year if I ran this poll it was be 60-40...not sure which way even. And Even Jessiman 2 years back...maybe 70-30 in favor.

SML 07-31-2005 12:20 PM

Every swing can't be a home run. It's about time we started putting some men on base. This is a good, virtually sure fire bet to be a solid NHL citizen for 10-15 yrs. Even if he's no Larry Robinson, he sounds like a James Patrick who's still playing into his 40's. Even though I hated JP, if I had the choice between a gamble like Latendresse or the sure thing like Staal, I think Staal is the right choice. Even if he doesnt fit in here, he's still an asset that could play out somewhere down the road. I didn't like it at first, but I have been wrong many times. Hell, I was cursing Neil Smith for drafting Kovalev. Do you know who I wanted??? Brent Bilodeau. That's why they are the pros and I am not.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-31-2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML
Every swing can't be a home run. It's about time we started putting some men on base. This is a good, virtually sure fire bet to be a solid NHL citizen for 10-15 yrs. Even if he's no Larry Robinson, he sounds like a James Patrick who's still playing into his 40's. Even though I hated JP, if I had the choice between a gamble like Latendresse or the sure thing like Staal, I think Staal is the right choice. Even if he doesnt fit in here, he's still an asset that could play out somewhere down the road. I didn't like it at first, but I have been wrong many times. Hell, I was cursing Neil Smith for drafting Kovalev. Do you know who I wanted??? Brent Bilodeau. That's why they are the pros and I am not.

Great post, SML.

I admit I was interested in Bourett but I never really thought that Staal was a choice. Bourett seems like an exciting guy but he's got more of a chance to be Todd Harvey than he does Brenden Morrow. It's nice that a guy likes to hit, but at his size, hitting grown men is differnet from hitting kids in juniors.

NYC Aim 4588 07-31-2005 12:40 PM

The kid Staal was the BPA though I think I would have liked maybe O'Marra, Bourett ( Like him but dont know if he would be a Morrow type player or a Garth Murray type player ) or tried to move down and get Skille. I guess for what it is worth NYR got what was really the best thing after the 10th or 11th overall pick.

I also feel sather should have made a move similar to what Washington did. NYR should have moved down in to the 27 spot to 33 or 34 I thnk he could have done more.

Maybe I would be more stisfied If NYR has a good pick along with Staal, cause it seems he is the only good thing to come out of the draft for us NYR fans, maybe and hopefully Cliche and Dupont will be good...

I guess it ( Staal )was a good pick.

Jessiman ( C/RW ), Montoya ( G ), Korpikoski ( LW ) and Staal ( D ) over the last 3 years or so are not that bad. If you do look at the first rounders selected. Sather seems to be doing a pretty solid job.I cant really complain. And Im still not sold on the Montoya pick but in much of a sense it was a pretty good move cause he did acquire KOrpikoski who should be a very solid 2nd line LW'er.

Levitate 07-31-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe I would be more stisfied If NYR has a good pick along with Staal, cause it seems he is the only good thing to come out of the draft for us NYR fans,
even if you don't like the later picks, i think you should also include sauer in there...he's a real good defenseman, nice pick of a guy who would have gone first round if not for an injury

as for staal, the only real problem i have with it is that it still doesn't give the rangers that #1 defenseman they need. but it's a solid pick. there wasn't much else there at the time that could be considered for sure top line player or something.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-31-2005 01:11 PM

I know that only a few picked the "we didn't need D" option, but more were complaining that we got more defensemen in the subsequent rounds. I find it hilarious how people were screaming about the fact that we only picked one D-man last year, and now we have too many. Rangers fans are NEVER happy.

jas 07-31-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
I know that only a few picked the "we didn't need D" option, but more were complaining that we got more defensemen in the subsequent rounds. I find it hilarious how people were screaming about the fact that we only picked one D-man last year, and now we have too many. Rangers fans are NEVER happy.

Or that we need to take more home run swings, and then take a chance on a guy like Cliche. I played that game last year. Am still disappointed in the Byers pick? Sure. But, I just want to see this team build a solid prospect base.

Original6 07-31-2005 02:02 PM

I live in sudbury and I am a huge fan of the sudbury wolves. I can tell you a few things about marc staal.

Pros:
- Good attitude
- Big size
- on ice awareness...nice pass...

Cons:
- Has a bit of an off shot
- slow
- has difficulty containing faster players.

You make your judgement.

Thirty One 07-31-2005 03:37 PM

ISS rating his skating as an A+

Tawnos 07-31-2005 07:03 PM

A little disappointed. I think that the Rangers needed to address the most important needs first. And the most important need was top-end forward talent. Bourret and O'Marra were still available, as was Zagrapan. I also have a hard time believing that the Rangers couldn't have moved one or two steps even further up, which is what I would've been trying when Kopitar came into my sights.

That said, Marc Staal was the best player available overall and there certainly is nothing wrong with picking that. This isn't last year's situation where they picked Montoya when Olesz was arguably the better prospect.

FLYLine24 07-31-2005 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31-
ISS rating his skating as an A+

Yea, and the only people they gave a A+ in skating were:

Sidney Crosby
Marc Staal
Andrew Cogliano
Matt Lashoff

Thats it...so even if they overrating his skating a little...i'd still think he was one of the better skaters in the draft.

Onion Boy 07-31-2005 10:52 PM

I voted "Yes, BPA" though I probably would've picked O'Marra if we traded up or Bergfors if we stayed at 16. I had Staal rated pretty low (near 20) on my ranking, but I can't complain with the pick. Solid pick with big upside and it sounds like Maloney and Co. were extremely high on him as were some other clubs.

Even if I liked other guys, it was a good pick at that position, no question. The only thing that would've made me really mad at the draft is if the Rangers traded up to get someone they could've drafted later or went way off the board when they could've traded down. St. Louis fans (Oshie), Washington fans (Finley), and maybe San Jose fans (Setoguchi) are probably kinda ticked at the moment. I would be anyway.

Fletch 08-01-2005 08:25 AM

So tawnos....

you're saying the Rangers should've stayed where they were and kept the other second round pick, right? I don't think that would've been a horrific thing to do, as it would've given the Rangers yet another shot at getting someone decent.

Tawnos 08-01-2005 09:38 AM

Kinda, I think that trading up to pick one of the three forwards I mentioned would not have been a mistake. They all went 16 and earlier. If you left Atlanta at 12 they would've picked Bourret most likely. That said, Atlanta, Buffalo or the Islanders might have picked Staal in their slot if he was still available, meaning that Bourret, O'Marra or Zagrapan would've still been available at 16. Trading up wasn't a mistake, but not trading up wouldn't have been a mistake either. I just think they should've picked a forward.

Anthony Mauro 08-01-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Yea, and the only people they gave a A+ in skating were:

Sidney Crosby
Marc Staal
Andrew Cogliano
Matt Lashoff

Thats it...so even if they overrating his skating a little...i'd still think he was one of the better skaters in the draft.

He's a raw skater that should be very fluid when he matures. Now, he's thin and gangly at 6'4'' and it somewhat shows in his skating. Which you have to expect. But that does not mean anything. Because the stride is there, the speed and mobility is good or better. He'll be way more smooth and not as rough in a year.

So no doubt, he is one of the better skaters in the draft. He has great positioning as well, so he'll rub his man out. I also see a great work ethic in his own end, which lol is a good thing for being a defenseman. He rarely lets up until the puck is out of his zone. I just loved those clips on MSG seeing this big rearguard patrol Sudbury's blueline and the opposing blueline.

turnbuckle* 08-01-2005 09:52 AM

You guys should be ecstatic for a couple reasons. First off, Staal is a diamond in the rough, just a superb skater who should excel in a faster paced league.

Second, it's quite apparent that the latest addition to your scouting staff, Tim Murray, was instrumental in Staal being selected. Murray was hired by Sather the day after new Ducks GM failed to renew his contract, and you picked up a fellow with a keen eye for prospects. He scouts mainly in the Ottawa area, and had a chance to see Staal quite often this past season, including in the playoffs against the 67's. I know him quite well, and believe me, he is very high on Staal, and thought he was a sure-fire top seven pick. For the Rangers to trade up to get Staal tells me his word will be seriously considered, and that's not a bad thing for a team that has had some questionable drafts in recent years.

Murray was instrumental in the Ducks picking Getzlaf, Perry, Smid and Lupul, four pretty decent building blocks over the past three drafts. His Ducks moved up in the first round to pick Perry at 28th overall; which proved to be a sound move. Now the Rangers moved up to grab a player who was thought to have dropped; I'm pretty certain Staal won't disappoint.

Levitate 08-01-2005 10:04 AM

i hope not ;)

I'd like to see him really take off and develop well this coming year, that'd be a treat to see him break out as a top D prospect