HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Backhand thesis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1564965)

American in Paris 12-20-2013 12:15 PM

Backhand thesis

Some guy wrote his thesis on the hockey backhand. Makes for some interesting reading if you feel like geeking out...

https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=1

19Backstrom 12-20-2013 03:59 PM

Wow. I didn't know there was such a thing as a backhand one-timer. I'll try that next time.

PensFreak 12-20-2013 07:10 PM

Thoroughly unimpressed. So many spelling errors- not even hidden, but in titles- made it unreadable. I still gave it my best effort, but to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'

BearFlag 12-23-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFreak (Post 76535101)
.... to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'

I know what you mean:
"Ice hockey sticks are essential to play the game; it is fair to say that after skate’s, sticks are the second most important equipment hockey player needs."

It's cool that he can gets to at least write his thesis about it though. I don't think my university offered a degree in Sports & Leisure Management. I had to write my thesis on a more uninteresting topic such the Price Elasticity of Demand.

scryan 12-23-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearFlag (Post 76666431)
I know what you mean:
"Ice hockey sticks are essential to play the game; it is fair to say that after skate’s, sticks are the second most important equipment hockey player needs."

It's cool that he can gets to at least write his thesis about it though. I don't think my university offered a degree in Sports & Leisure Management. I had to write my thesis on a more uninteresting topic such the Price Elasticity of Demand.

(mod edit) Stick is more essential then skates... People totally play hockey in shoes (ball hockey, deck hockey whatever...). The game changes much more fundamentally if you remove sticks then skates. I would definitely disagree with the order of importance there.

Ozz 12-23-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 (Post 76525513)
Wow. I didn't know there was such a thing as a backhand one-timer. I'll try that next time.

Sometimes that's the only way to get your stick on a goofy pass where you know you won't be able to control it otherwise :dunno:

TrueBlue86 12-23-2013 11:48 PM

lol beats my Master's thesis on polymer functionalization chemistry and applications

Fanned On It 12-24-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFreak (Post 76535101)
Thoroughly unimpressed. So many spelling errors- not even hidden, but in titles- made it unreadable. I still gave it my best effort, but to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'

I was under the impression that the dude was a foreigner and English is his second language... am I wrong?

TrueBlue86 12-24-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanned On It (Post 76729217)
I was under the impression that the dude was a foreigner and English is his second language... am I wrong?

still, your thesis should get edited many times by your supervisor before any publication

Canadiens1958 12-24-2013 07:41 AM

Translation

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 76730279)
still, your thesis should get edited many times by your supervisor before any publication

Looks like an unofficial, web translation from Finnish.

Jarick 12-27-2013 09:25 AM

The topic is intriguing but reading that paper...I sure hope it wasn't for a college course or anything. What's the point of the paper? It's not really shedding new light on anything. Seemed like half the paper was reading out of the rule book.

Malarowski 12-27-2013 09:30 AM

Guys, it's a Bachelor's degree thesis from a country where English is not the primary language. Cut him some slack.

Anyway, there is still too much blabbering going on, I bet the relevant information can be reduced to 5 pages or so.