HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1565099)

3Fs 12-20-2013 04:41 PM

Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract?
 
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ntract/1/56570


I would not be against picking him up as a fa and giving him close to max money.
Not 7 years though, would try for 5 or 6 years prefer.

The leafs all complain about him and I am guessing when they lose him for nothing, they will appreciate what he had done for them.

Jtown 12-20-2013 04:42 PM

not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.

Beef Invictus 12-20-2013 04:58 PM

No. If they're gonna go max term at a high price I'd like it to be for someone more consistent than Phaneuf. He has a strong tendency to go full moron every now and then.

FlyersFan61290 12-20-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 76524857)
not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.

I've always thought that Coburn and Phaneuf would make an excellent pairing. He's very underrated by non Leafs fans but obviously overrated by Leafs fans. Sure they may get pissed at him but then they turn around and make him sound like Jesus on ice.

I would let Kimmo walk and Mez walk (they combine for 10.5 mil in cap space) for Dion as long as it isn't 8 yrs which I imagine is what it would cost to bring him here. 5 yrs I could live with.

Hartnell getting moved would also make things easier both monetarily and in the clubhouse. Though I think I recall hearing Luke and him didn't get along very well either.

BrindamoursNose 12-20-2013 06:02 PM

No.

Although I hope to land one of him or Girardi this off-season. The Streit signing already has me upset.

Flyerss 12-20-2013 06:08 PM

sure 7years but for something around 5.5m which he wouldn't want

BringBackStevens 12-20-2013 06:25 PM

No. No more huge contracts except for very special players

JayB 12-20-2013 06:37 PM

I could do it. Think that as fast rebuilt in one summer. Let Mezzy go,offer Timonen very cheap(under 3milj) contract for 3 pairing job,trade Coburn for winger (in package) or picks,then just put your cash to Girardi and Phaneuff.

Streit-Phaneuff
Grossman-Girardi
Timonen-Schenn

CTU2fan 12-20-2013 07:48 PM

Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".

Tripod 12-20-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTU2fan (Post 76533825)
Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".

I would do the Dion signing AND look to add a Edler for Simmonds + 2nd.

Dion Coburn
Grossmann Edler
Schenn Streit
Gus

Of course, if Kimmo wants to come back at 3 mill..then fine...don't do the Simmonds deal

FlyingPhilly 12-20-2013 08:30 PM

Sure if it isn't more than $6M/year. That isn't happening though.

Clown Baby 12-20-2013 08:37 PM

Hah.


...


You're serious?

Psuhockey 12-20-2013 08:55 PM

No and yes. Phanuef as a player does warrant the contract he will get. However, for the Flyers it makes a ton of sense. The Flyers defense will be getting a lot cheaper in the near future as the prospects start getting added to the team. So entry level contracts plus bridge deals and those guys won't be making any real money for 5 or 6 years. Plus Pronger's contract will be ending. As far as forwards, only Voracek looks like he will be the only one commanding big dollars any time soon. So the Flyers could add Phanuef, not give up any assets in a trade, and not really hurt their cap situation.

King Forsberg 12-20-2013 09:06 PM

I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden. It helps our defense next year and in the short term but an again Phanuef might not look too good in a couple of years.

Coburn - Phanuef
Streit - Grossmann
Gustafsson - Schenn

That's pretty good for the next 2-3 years honestly.

LegionOfDoom91 12-20-2013 09:08 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind Phaneuf on the Flyers to replace Kimmo for next year.

kicksave27 12-20-2013 09:16 PM

I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).

Psuhockey 12-20-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Forsberg (Post 76539493)
I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden.

He will be getting at least in the $7+ cap hit if not more. It would be significantly less as a percentage of cap of what Brian Campbell got when he was signed by Chicago. There are lots of people who said that contract was burdensome but signing Campbell took a lot of pressure off Keith and Seabrook and let them continue to develop. The signing also put the Hawks into the conference finals and to a cup a year later. So does signing Phanuef allow the Flyers prospects to continue to develop organically while also getting the Flyers a step closer to the cup? Under 8, I say yes.

LegionOfDoom91 12-20-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 76540419)
I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).

He's still potting over 10+ goals & hovering around .50PPG mark each season unlike Myers & Coburn though. He regressed offensively from his first few seasons in the NHL but he's still pretty damn productive back there.

lancer247 12-20-2013 09:40 PM

1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

LegionOfDoom91 12-20-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer247 (Post 76542613)
1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

He played with Ulf Samuelsson as well. :laugh:

He basically played with most of his nemeses in the NHL at one point.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-20-2013 10:04 PM

I'd be interested depending on thecap hit. If he wants 6-7 years I'd be OK with it if the cap hit was reasonable. That being said, I don't see him anywhere signing for less than $7mil which is a bit risky IMO.

Philadelphia Ducks 12-20-2013 10:35 PM

I like Dion and think he gets a terrible rap. But if he's really wanting 7+ million then I'd be looking elsewhere. Would love to have him on the top pairing with Coburn, but I don't think it'll happen.

Clown Baby 12-20-2013 10:39 PM

The only way I don't hate this idea is come next season Streit and Meszaros aren't on this roster.

RespectTheCouts 12-20-2013 10:45 PM

Hmmmm "suck it Phaneuf"
he'd cost way too much, but that being said the Flyers will most likely throw stupid amounts of money and years at him

jeff leonard 12-20-2013 10:54 PM

I hear yandle's name mentioned a LOT with this team, and Phaneuf is a much better player than Yandle so...yes. He's a great player and gets a ton of flak for the jersey he wears.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.